Diary - Phase 1 Course CTC (2014)

Discussion in 'RMR Diaries' started by spc_449, May 17, 2014.

1. spc_449

spc_449 Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    As requested, here is my brief diary of the phase 1 course down at CTC. Feel free to ask me any quezzies on here or by PM.

upload_2014-5-17_12-35-58.png

• Like Like x 2
  2. spc_449

spc_449 Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    upload_2014-5-17_12-37-11.png

• Like Like x 1
  3. spc_449

spc_449 Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    upload_2014-5-17_12-37-44.png

• Like Like x 1
  4. spc_449

spc_449 Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    Forgot to mention that one lad was binned on the spot for an ND on the second exercise. He was thrashed around the harbour area and then told to grab his bergan and go. We didn't see him again. I felt pretty bad for him.

5. commando4

commando4 Royal Marines Commando

the word "fun" really worries me here. Being on exercise was never fun in training, is it really that easy for rmr nods?? do you really not get any kit musters after baptist run (seriously what the hell).

6. spc_449

spc_449 Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    I'd take "fun" with a pinch of salt. It was a massive hang-out, but it was very satisfying to get it done and feel like we're progressing. Nobody finds getting wet, cold, tired, and getting beasted "fun" in the normal sense, but finishing the course was a big milestone for us.

The training team were regs and they told us that our exercise was a carbon copy of the reg Baptist Walk and Baptist Run run back to back. We had a couple ex reg nods in the troop and they never felt it was any easier than what they had done full time.

As for the kit musters, I don't know what the deal is there. I assumed that kit musters stopped in Phase 2 for reg nods as well.

7. Dom_9

Dom_9 Member

Cheers for posting this mate, really good to see whats involved! When I was in regs training 7 years ago kit musters stopped after week 15 unless you really messed up so think you are right there

• Like Like x 1
  8. Casper

Casper Member

App Stage:
    Passed POC
    What is ND?

9. BB15RA

BB15RA Member

Negligent Discharge

10. corvus

corvus Member

But my girlfriend said it happens to everyone, surely they could have just sent him to see the doctor about it?

• Like Like x 3
  11. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

You'd better hope she doesn't read that, it doesn't make her sound too respectable -nailbiting-

Sometimes things read a little different when you come back and read them 5 minutes later. :eek:

Great diary though, interesting to see how things have changed on the course in the last few years.

12. R4Robotics

R4Robotics Spectator

Surprised there wasn't a kit muster, there always used to be.
    I have heard a buzz about kit musters not happening as frequently or to the detail of old ones.

Think it is a bit of insult to state training for RMR nod is easy. The challenges they face are different to a regular and realistically a kit muster is not hard, so the time can be used testing/teaching other skills.

• Like Like x 3
  13. spc_449

spc_449 Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    Just to clarify, on the first week we had a kit muster before we went into the field, every day when we were in the field, and one once we got back. It was only the second week that we didn't have kit musters. I have asked a friend who went through recently and been told that regs do not have kit musters either in the second half of RT unless it is used as a punishment... so exactly the same as us.

Who would have thought this would cause so much controversy?!

14. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

Do you know if he will have to reattend that exercise? NDs are harshly dealt with for good reason but (depending on circumstances) Recruits used to be cut a little more slack than a Trained Rank if guilty of a ND.

15. spc_449

spc_449 Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    The CI said he would have to do the whole course again as he failed the stalks on the first exercise. He was going to be given another opportunity to pass a stalk later during the second exercise, but he lost it after the ND.

16. Quill

Quill New Member

Alright mate, just logged into this today, didn't have much of a chance to catch up the other week before they shipped me back off up to Liverpool and got me booked on to the May conformation weekends and RFCC to reattempt! Did you end up getting your lid with the lads?

Mod: If you want to chat maybe a PM or a new thread. Hijacking threads is against forum etiquette.

17. 115DD

115DD New Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    Were you awarded cap comforters at the end of week one??

Cheers

18. R4Robotics

R4Robotics Spectator

No. You need to complete a full weighted 6mile speed March.

Along time ago you did, but it wasn't aligned to CTC

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  19. 115DD

115DD New Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    Ah I see. When does the 6miler fit into the alpha / bravo training scheme?

I understand at lympstone it's only two weeks of wearing it but see a lot of Bravos wearing them at det nights for a long time.

20. R4Robotics

R4Robotics Spectator

There is no definitive answer. A recent troop only got them at bottom field pass out (2 weeks before course). Others got them within months of passing old phase 1. I think realistically you will be looking at around December time, but it will depend on a) the troop b) the PSI taking you through. It is a bit of carrot/reward, so they tease you with it, but also make you earn it

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1