DIARY - RMR Bristol Phase 1A - Ex First Base 115 Trp

Discussion in 'RMR Diaries' started by Froggers, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Froggers

Froggers Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    As this forum has helped me out so much I thought I would give a little back by posting a little insight into the RMR Bristol's phase 1A course. some bits are a little hazy and some I can not post for PERSEC/OPSEC reasons. any quezzies feel free to PM myself. and I am sure that @crashmonkey who was also on the weekend will answer any you have.

Ex First step 10/04/15 - 12/04/15 (Troop Starting with 32 lads)

19:00 Friday -

I picked up my oppo on route to the det, masses of kit squeezed into the boot of my car, we were both nervous, full of apprehension and unsure on what was to come.

by 19:30 we were loaded up into a mini buss and were on route to CTC. Once at CTC we were drove straight to the drill sheds to pick up stores, rations and riffles, all to be packed into bergans in double quick time. We were then split off into sections, dropped bergans off onto a van and mounted into minibuses to be drove into the training area.

Arriving at around 23:00 we were straight off the busses and into our sections . First task of the night was an introductory yomp around woodbury common with webbing and riffle, it was nothing to bad, just marching at a faster than walk pace with a bit of jogging every so often. Features of the common were pointed out that we would need when it comes to nav ex's in the future. it only lasted for the best part of 90min and before we knew it we were back at the beginning.

00:30 we were lead into a wooded area where we would be bedding down for the night. we all buddied up and got about setting bivis up using bivi poles, all I can say is that for whatever reason is took *text deleted* ages to put up two poles and a bit of gor-tex!. It was dark in the woods and some lads decided to use white light...note, the training team do not like this! A basic wandering sentry rota was stated and we all got our heads down. I profed and was on sentry with my bivi buddy at 01:45 so got loads of bag time!

05:00 Saturday (main lecture day)

Up at 0500 on the dot, crawled out of the warmest, most comfortable sleeping bag (available to a nod), packed everything down and started with morning routine, which consisted of breakfast, brush teeth, quick wash and shave. 0630 we were stood to in sections awaiting our next detail.

First detail of the day was field phys. The PTI took us for a gentle jog around the common and then onto a bit of clear ground to do a bit of circuit training which included tabata push ups, sit ups and squats and then we did pays to be a winner hill sprints... I lost every time, although the the way I see it was that iIwas the winner as I got all that extra phys FOR FREE! haha. Phys lasted for there abouts an hour, it was hard but nothing harder than say a gassy crossfit WOD or Fintan circuits.

0800 first lecture was on the ration packs we had received the night before, how to cook them and what each thing was. Next lecture was given by our own @R4Robotics and was on personal admin in the field (how to wash, shave etc).... and to save any questions, yes we did see his cock and no I didn't get any pics! haha. The lectures were given in the woods and although it was a nice weekend weather wise it was freezing in the shade, this was about the time I started to feel the cold and unfortunately it never left until the speed march in sunday.

This is probably the point in which I should mention that when issued a riffle it stays on you or at arms length at all times, some of the lads didn't pick up on this and so where punished by having to carry "the monkey" on them all times. The monkey was a 16kg kettle bell... not a fun thing to have to carry!

Next lecture was on wet and dry routine, this lecture had everyone on edge as it was mentioned that as a troop we would be getting dunked some point during the day. Some of the lads didn't believe it was going to happen, one lad said and I quote "how are they going to dunk us, the pool is back at CTC". Personally I was in the mindset that it is going to happen and there is nothing we can do about it, how else are you going to put into practice what has just been taught!

The rest of the lectures are a bit of a haze but one that stands out is the camouflage and concealment. we were taught how and why it all work then told to turn around and look for one of the training team who is a qualified sniper, that was hidden somewhere behind us. out of 32 lads not a single person could spot him, we where told to move forward and look again but still could see nothing, again told to move forward. He was then revealed to us when we were basically on top of him, hoofin stuff! We then got to have a go ourselves. We were sent off into a field and told we had 10 min to cam up. we were then broken up into two sections, one section hid and the other spotted. I am happy to say I must have done something right as I didn't get pinged and was told to stand up at the end.

Other lectures included how to build different shelters using bivis (after this we could set a half decent bivi up in 60s flat), patrol harbours, harbour routine and how to set up proper sentry within a patrol harbour. the last lecture of the day was at around 21:00 and consisted of light and noise discipline at night.

The day however was not over, it was time to get wet. Up until this point in the weekend I was having second thoughts about my part time career choice but I can tell you that changed quickly. Stood to in our sections it was explained that this was not a punishment or 'extra phys', it was going to happen so we had experience before going into further weekends, everyone was psyched up as we were ran down to the sheep dip. I chucked myself into the muddy, stinking water with as much aggression I could muster while doing my best impression of Tom Daley, it was honking but this is where things changed, everyone in the troop was soaked in shit filled water, we were all in it together and started to rally round each other to keep ourselves warm. we were ran back to the harbour area were we were given some phys to keep us warm. After that were told to pick up our riffles, webbing and bergan and told we were going for a yomp/patrol into a harbour area. This is the first time I felt like we were doing a proper bit of soldering, soaking wet, heavy load on our backs and riffle in hands patrolling in the pitch black of woodbury common.

I was nominated 2IC of the section so set up a sentry rota for the evening following what we had been taught that day. During the night each man in the section had to do two 1 hour sentry duties which meant that each man "should" get 4 hours sleep Both of my sentries I was freezing and shook like a *text deleted* dog while peering into the darkness, I was honestly looking forward to the morning speed march just to warm me up!

0500 sunday -

up, everything packed down and morning routine underway. wet and dry was honking, putting soaking wet cloths on after sleeping is horrid, but is part of life if you want that green lid. We had an inspection at 0700 so had two hours to get everything clean and laid out ready.

last order of the weekend was the 4 mile speed march across woodbury common and down the lanes to CTC. It was hot and due to the lack of sleep over the weekend was a hard effort to get going, I really struggled going over woodbury but once we got to the lanes I had no issue running with the troop. Other lads found the speed march hard, a couple wrapped due to injuries picked up over the weekend one lad full on passed out mid march when we were about 2 miles from CTC.

Not being a phys ninja I was proud that I managed to hold it together till the end and marched into CTC with my head held high.

That is pretty much it, Next up is weekend 2 Ex Early Knight.

Amount of sleep this weekend - 6.5 hours

Amount of actual sleep - 30 min

couple of pics from the weekend here

https://www.facebook.com/RMRCardiff/posts/957938260903175

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. wolfie23

wolfie23 New Member

Brilliant write up mate really in treating quick question excuse my stupidity but phase 1a I asume that is your first weekend?

3. Crash_Monkey

Crash_Monkey Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Phase 1A refers to the first 8 weekends of RMR training which is then followed by a two week Phase 1A course at CTC. Upon successful completion you then move onto Phase 1B.

4. Froggers

Froggers Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    Phase 1A is the first of 3 phases in RMR training. Phase 1B Phase 1B and then phase 2. i'm not sure right now what happens in phase 1B or phase 2 @R4Robotics should be able to answer that. but phase 1A is all about the basics.

5. Crash_Monkey

Crash_Monkey Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    @Froggers, good write up mate I think you pretty much cover everything that can be mentioned.

All in all it was a top weekend lads which, having completed 11 weeks of regular training in my younger days, seemed to encompass aspects of the first 3 field exercises in RT - so lots to learn!

As Froggers said, there was a lot of buzz around wet and dry and I have to be honest I really didn't understand all the fuss. I don't know if it was the prior experience of having completed it on numerous occasions, back in the day when you put wet rig on for sentry as well, but lads seemed to be really hung up on it. Yes its frigging gopping putting wet clothes back on at 05:00 after getting out of a toasty-ish sleeping bag, but that is the life of a Royal Marine, and realistically its not the worst thing by far that we will have to go through in the next 12 months of training.....Though ask me again in December when my wet rig has frozen solid ;).

As one of the Corporals said, "Be aggressive, grow a pair, and get it done!", a motto I think probably applies to most things in recruit training.

The troop are currently about 35 strong, and good bunch of lads. We have started to bond well and encourage each other through the tougher moments, though as much as I hate to say it I am interested to see if we'll loose any before the next weekend now that the aspects of soldiering which aren't shown in the brochures have been encountered. Its not an easy life, and I am sure Froggers will agree, even after a mere 36ish hours in the field (which to be honest was basically just one very long day) we were all hanging out, and as fit as you are its the mental robustness which is required to put up with tough conditions that will see you through training.

As Froggers has said, any questions (which I am allowed to answer) I am also happy to do so.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BON

BON Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    The sniper demo was the best demo I've never seen! How it took 35 lads to be within 5 metres on the sniper to spot him is something else; I'm just glad he's on our side!

• Like Like x 2
  7. R4Robotics

R4Robotics Spectator

Phase 1A (formerly Phase1) is a cut down version of weeks 1-15, with Week 15 (Baptist Run) being completed on the Phase 1A course. There is a diary summarising this, on here.

Phase 1B (formerly Phase2) is a cut down version of weeks 16 - 31. With elements of weeks 26 - 30 completed in the first week of the RFCC and week 31 (Commando Tests) in the second week .

Phase 2 (formerly Phase 3) is continuation training consisting of modules that were stripped out of the main framework, to shorten the length of time it takes to achieve a green lid. You are not considered a trained rank until these are completed. During this phase you will wear a plain green velvet rank slide, but apart for that will be dressed as a Marine.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  8. wolfie23

wolfie23 New Member

Cheers for that breakdown on courses,how do you guys do Monday morning back to work on 40 mins sleep must be a eight hangout

9. Mr D

Mr D Well-Known Member

Well done guys,good effort and an excellent write up looking forward to the next chapter.

10. Crash_Monkey

Crash_Monkey Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I found work ok on Monday, though when I got home on Sunday at about 15:00 I decided I needed to nap before attempting to admin my kit and sort out my shizz for the next day so set my alarm for 16:30 ....... and woke up at 23:40 o_O. I then spent until 2am getting everything sorted.
    After a few more hours sleep I was up at 08:30 and fairly chirpy all day.

I didn't do any phys on Monday, but was back at it today with a 30min swim (1400m) at 06:30, and a gym session tonight which was lower body weight training, and an upper body bodyweight circuit which lasted about 30 mins.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Froggers

Froggers Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    I'm a student studying a content heavy subject, monday mornings 9am lecture is an effort to get to and by the last lecture of the day at 1600 is near impossible to stay awake haha