Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

DIARY - RMR Bristol Phase 1A - Ex Marshal Star 115 Trp

Discussion in 'RMR Diaries' started by Froggers, May 14, 2015.

  1. Froggers

    Froggers Well-Known Member

    Jul 10, 2012
    App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    Friday 19:00 - As usual we meet at the det ready for another weekend in the field. as ever myself and the other lads were apprehensive of what waited for us. We were traveling down to CTC with lads from 114 Trp who where to start their two week RFCC (the commando tests).

    On reaching CTC my self and the rest of 115 trp where deposited at the drill sheds to collect rifle, rations and stores, as ever to be packed away in double quick time. This weekend we were back on woodbury common (I'm starting to loath this place already haha).

    First task once we debussed at the training area was to prepare for our first loaded night yomp. we were to carry bergans (60lb) riffle (11lb) and webbing (15lb). The yomp lasted about 2 hours and we covered there about 6 miles.... it was excruciating from start to finish! By 2am we were into a patrol harbour and getting our heads down.

    Saturday - first detail was a spot inspection by the training team i.e. turning our bergans inside out looking for contraband, we then got a 'extra phys' for not being able to pack our bergans within 3 mins. the 'extra phys' consisted of crawling through gorse, sprinting to trees and endless pushups. we then continued onto doing phys which was centred around firemans carries.

    After phys we went straight into weapons lectures which walked us through what we would need to do to pass the weapons handling test later that morning. It seems to be this point in the weekend that you feel like it is mid afternoon but your watch tells you it is only 08:15!

    Weapons handling test was pretty straightforward, all you had to do was remember what you have been taught, although, the training team did try to throw you off by asking questions that you have not been told the answers to. Mine was "how do you oil your weapon in a sandy environment", to this I applied a little common sense and answered with "as little as possible as oil will trap dust", I must have got away with it as the Sgt taking the test gave a firm not and told me I passed.

    We then went onto to a little bit of map reading while the training team prepared our next evolution. It is this point that training is starting to get tasty. We were to spend the entire afternoon running the CQB (close quarter combat) lane shooting at opportunity targets while moving as tactically as possible, this was also the first time we have got to fire blank ammunition. By 21:00 the troop was starting to waver a little bit as we had not been given time to eat, everyone was exhausted and feeling faint, in simple words we were all *text deleted*ed! However we had singed up to become commandos, and this is what commandos do. our last evolution of the day was to bomb up (refill our mags) with all the spare ammo we could get our hands on and practice fire and maneuver drills paying attention to mag changes.

    by 22:30 we looked like the walking dead, shuffling our heavy bergans into the patrol harbour. we had till 23:00 to get hot food and hot wets on and then we had to be 100% tactical (no light or sound). I scoffed as much scran as I could and got to sorting my admin out for the evening. as soon as my head hit the ground I was asleep.... until we got bumped! at 12:30 guns started to open up on us and we were directed to pack down and be on the road ready to march in 5 min. once on the road it was explained that getting bumped was a part of life and just because it has happened now doesn't mean it wont happen again later that evening (thankfully the training team were merciful and didn't bump us again)

    Sunday morning first detail was a weapons and feet inspections and then pack up and buss back to ctc where we would do a 4 mile speed march with webbing and riffle, by all accounts was one of the hardest runs the troop have done to this date. after a swift shower we were bussed back to our detachments and with that was the end of one of the toughest weekends i have yet to do (it will only get harder from here on)

    Number of lads: 26
    Hours of sleep: "what is sleep?"

    Next weekend is to be a skills weekend and rumor on the nod vine is that it will be NBC training...sounds painful haha
    • Like Like x 5
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1