DIARY - RMR Bristol Phase 1A - SKILLS WEEKEND

Discussion in 'RMR Diaries' started by Froggers, May 25, 2015.

1. Froggers

Froggers Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    The end of Skills weekend marks our 6th training weekend (if including induction weekend) as 115 troop. This weekend was utter luxury! We were to be training at the unit HQ, Dorset House in Bristol. This meant hot food, hot showers and porcelain toilets!

Like usual we arrived at our at the det full of anticipation for the weekend ahead. We arrived at Dorset house at around 21:00 and got straight into setting up our bed spaces in the gym. As soon as the other detachments arrived it was into lectures. Lectures covered CBRN (chemical, Biological, radiological and Nuclear) and the drills we would be doing the following day. We finished up around 00:30 and got our heads down for the night. Although we were under hard cover a sentry still had to be maintained.

Saturday, 0500 we were up and ready for breakfast (full english all round). first detail was phys at 0700, we noticed that 3 PTIs had turned up so we know we were in for something a little different. we were speed marched to the south downs and were greeted with a load of ancillaries. These were 3x wooden pole, 10 water containers, 2 stretchers and a rope attached to one of the team vehicles! We were given a scenario that the vehicle has been disabled by an IED and we must yomp the critical kit + vehicle to RV points around the south downs in certain time limits (that of course we would never be able to hit) if we missed the RV there was of course extra phy, it was a total hang out but great fun. The PTIs were taking videos, so if one gets posted on facebook I will post it up here.

Next detail was CBRN drills, we were told not to bother changing after the phys as we would be getting nice and sweaty in the CBRN suits and GSR respirators. After going through all the various drills it was time for scran (again hot food on plates... luxury! haha). After lunch we taken to a hill that looked over all of Bristol and walked through the types of questions that would be in out map reading tests. Back at Dorset house we ended the day doing weapons lectures and finished nice and early at 19:00. The evening we had to ourself and where even allowed to have a couple of beers in the juniors mess. I mega proffed with sentry and was given the breakfast shift at 06:00 so got an entire 7 hours sleep!

Sunday mornings detail was a 5 mile speed march with 10lb in our webbing, the route was pretty much flat so the PTI took ran us at a pace faster than 10min/mile to make up for it. After phys we had more weapons lectures and finished off the weekend by cleaning the areas we used at Dorset House.

Overall it was a great weekend and one of the first weekends where I did not consider wrapping haha.

Only 4 more weekends left will our phase 1A course! Next weekend coming up will be EX RUNNINGMAN.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Crash_Monkey

Crash_Monkey Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    You're welcome ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Froggers

Froggers Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    Haha cheers, should have let me know it was you who did the rota and i would have got you a beer on saturday night!

4. doddsy84

doddsy84 Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    good write up mate, we have just done foundation so we have a pretty packed next couple of months.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Crash_Monkey

Crash_Monkey Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Good luck mate! Hopefully see you at CTC in Sept. Just keep your head in the game and remember that no matter how tough it gets, it will end...

• Like Like x 2
  6. doddsy84

doddsy84 Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    Cheers mate, will do!
    How you finding training so far? How many started and how many are left?

7. Froggers

Froggers Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    Did you get issued masses of kit?

9 weeks till the phase 1A course I think, you guys are going to have some cramming to do haha

8. Crash_Monkey

Crash_Monkey Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I believe we are holding steady at 27 right now. We began with 34/35 I think.
    Its weird, but once people go they are quickly forgotten. That's not me being harsh, but at this stage you just don't have time to dwell on it....I do not want to be one of those guys!!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Crash_Monkey

Crash_Monkey Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Haha its OK mate, I only had one drink to be social. Was more interested in squaring my webbing away for the speed march.

• Like Like x 1
  10. doddsy84

doddsy84 Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    Yes mate loads of kit!
    Yeah out of 7 weekends we are in the field 5 of them and then we will all be down at ctc