Did anyone else find Psychometric test harder then expected??

mmakid

Reaction score
I certainly did! I completed the practice booklet and thought nothing of it, however on the day I predicted it was at least 30 percent harder! A couple of people who took it with me failed, I got the impression that it was similar to the BARB test (standard Army test it really is childs stuff honestly!)....has the test got harder in light of the recent surge in applications or am i just not very clever *text deleted*

headshot

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I certainly did! I completed the practice booklet and thought nothing of it, however on the day I predicted it was at least 30 percent harder! A couple of people who took it with me failed, I got the impression that it was similar to the BARB test (standard Army test it really is childs stuff honestly!)....has the test got harder in light of the recent surge in applications or am i just not very clever *text deleted*

The test is harder than the practice booklet, but still easily doable for most if you revise and practice.

mmakid

Reaction score
yeh it was certainly "doable" I think they are very accurate ways of getting a rough idea of intelligence as the test covers many aspects of core principles rather then the bog standard "ooh your good at maths therfore you are intelligent" stuff you hear at school

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Yup, under-estimate it at your peril.

I found it ok, but only because I revised a lot for it because I didn't want to fail.

bobmartin153

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
What sort of questions does it involve? Any examples? :smile: *text deleted*

Or is this hardcore classified stuff :amazed:

M@rt1n

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Definatley harder than i expected but it takes revision !!

S

Sotiris

I'm with Briggfoot. There's a lot of stuff you forget, especially with the Maths. It's basic GCSE level but after 7 years or so it all becomes a distant memory. Revision is a must for most people/

I think the hardest aspect of it is the timing. That little booklet you get desn't really reveal anything.

themightyg-notyetbutsoon!

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
im getting worried guys.

ive been out of school for ages and i cant even remember how to divide manually or times large numbers.

is there lots of maths questions like that?
what happens if you fail actually?

mines is on thursday so reading that post got my butt sweating a wee bit as i thought the application process was going to be the easy part

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
im getting worried guys.

ive been out of school for ages and i cant even remember how to divide manually or times large numbers.

is there lots of maths questions like that?
what happens if you fail actually?

mines is on thursday so reading that post got my butt sweating a wee bit as i thought the application process was going to be the easy part

Have a go at the practise tests on the sites listed here mate:
http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/prmc/showthread.php?t=3149&highlight=psychometric

As Sotiris says, it's all fairly basic, but if you havn't done the stuff in years, you'll have forgotten the method.
Long division/multiplication, converting simple fractions to decimals and visa versa, time in minutes to hours etc.
Shouldn't take too long to refresh your memory if you've learnt it in the past, then get some practise in.

M@rt1n

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I struggled to remember most of the stuff i learnt at school, ive only been out for 2 years !!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Te practice test book pretty much reflects the same standard as the real test, the difference is that whilst sat at home with a cup of coffee & the telly on, is not quite the same as test conditions.

In the real test you have 44 minutes to answer 120 questions - problem with the test booklet is that people do not practice against the clock & they become unstuck in the first section & panic sets -in.

M@rt1n

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds hard when put like that, on the day its all broken down into diffrent sections.

Dosent feel like your answering that many at all !!

xdous

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Whats the pass mark for each test?

Tomdoubleu

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Lads dont worry, its a very easy test. Basicly id say 5/30 question where hard on each section. I went through the test test with minuetes to spare for each section. You have like 11 mins to do 30 questions, some of the questions take you 2 seconds to answer, 1/3+2/6, whats 20% of 80 ect. The English side of it was slightly harder than the math (Im better at math than English though... ) The revision I did was, I went through the practice book when i got it, check my answers, rubbed them all out then did it again the day before the test. :cool:
Oh yeah and when I mentioned that 5/30 are hard if you come to a hard question just skip it and come back to it if you have time. Hope this helps... :bud:

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Lads dont worry, its a very easy test.

Unfortunately this is a rather subjective piece of advice if you have already passed the test.

Certainly in my AFCO around 40% of applicants don't pass it first time & I'm pretty sure they would not claim the test was 'very easy'.

The advice, as repeatedly stated, is to practice against the clock. If you get it wrong, it's a long time to spend out in the cold regretting not having revised against the clock beforehand.

M@rt1n

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Pays to be a winner guys - practice then you wont regret it when you pass afterwards !!

Ciarano

Reaction score
I found certain parts of psychometric test harder than I expected in particular the numerical section, the verbal section was *text deleted**text deleted* easy thought. Definately helps revising before especially your maths and physics and mechanical stuff. Out of 8 I think was there only 3 passed. During it they put a hover on in hall outside for few mins dont know if this was planned to test our concentration or was it just a coincidence.