Diet help

cobb

Reaction score
Hi all

So the reason I’m writing this is I struggle for energy for some workouts but I’m starting to think it’s becasue ive been on a calorie deficit (1200-1500) for last 12 weeks but I want shave a few more lbs off but I’m not impressed by my strength gains in Bodyweight.I might start having a pre workout any suggestions ?

Any help would be great!

thanks cobb

Squatmonkey

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
It sounds like youre not eating enough, google BMR calculator online and see how many calories you need to maintain your current weight for how much exercise you are doing. Then if you want to lose weight eat 300-500 calories less than that, any bigger deficit than that and it can cause issues with how well you are recovering from workouts and having enough energy (ie what youre experiencing)

Avoid pre workouts mate, theyre pricy mixes of caffeine and other stuff and you shouldn't need them for circuits/cv training anyway. Black coffee and a banana all the way

Harry McRunFast

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
(1200-1500)
To be honest with a calorie deficit of that magnitude you basically won’t make any gains. You have answered your own question with regards to energy...

As @Squatmonkey said a small deficit is fine, anything more then 500 kcal per day is a fair amount!

cobb

Reaction score
Cheers for speedy reply lads ive dropped from 202lbs to 186lbs since lockdown and hoped it would make bodyweight excercises eaiser but i feel weak now. my BMR 1864 so im going to do macros of 40P 30C 30F . And for pre workouts im going to have 1 banana and coffee 45 mins to 1 hour before a workout and a protein shake with rice cake for post workout. Thanks for the help!

Cobb

Squatmonkey

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Be aware BMR is calories to maintain your weight at rest, so you will need to factor your training in:

1. If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
  2. If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
  3. If you are moderately active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
  4. If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
  5. If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Chelonian

Reaction score
So the reason I’m writing this is I struggle for energy for some workouts but I’m starting to think it’s becasue ive been on a calorie deficit (1200-1500) for last 12 weeks but I want shave a few more lbs off...
I'm not qualified to offer nutritional advice so this is merely an anecdotal comment:

A few years back I was determined to hit a body weight threshold for a particular sporting event. I was shivering at night because I'd reduced my BMI to just under 20.0. At one point I face-planted into a plate of curry, possibly because my calorie deficit was affecting functionality.

Shortly afterwards a bout of food poisoning got my BMI down to 18.5 :eek: and when everything was going well I felt fine. But reduction diets and robust phys can be tricky. It's all too easy to step into the territory of eating disorders. I'm not suggesting that this is you but it's important to be aware of the risk.

cobb

Reaction score
Be aware BMR is calories to maintain your weight at rest, so you will need to factor your training in:

1. If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
  2. If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
  3. If you are moderately active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
  4. If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
  5. If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9
Thanks for your time ! it makes a lot off sense now