Difference between Paras & Marines

Sortezy

Reaction score
Okay so this isn't a thread on me not knowing which to apply for because I have already decided. I've taken into account I might get some people disliking this thread or saying the typical things people say about this topic but I've recently seen a couple of these topics on Google on people asking about the difference.

Now from what I gather realistically both are very hard but the Marines just seem that tad more elite to say the least. Now when it comes to training the only thing that the Marines don't do in CTC that the Paras do a lot of is "Parachuting" but when it comes to the tranasium which is to be specific to the Paras which it is to some degree don't the Marines conduct excersizes at this height as well for example on the Tarzan Assault course there are components of it that are at least 50 feet in height...

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Just to be clear, is this thread intended to inform those that want to know perceived differences or are you hoping individuals will expound their individual theories?

It's quite a subjective topic and the bulk of contributors could only hazard guesses, I'd have thought - in any event the parachuting aspect of delivery into a battlespace is pretty much a rarity in both training & operationally for the Army as much as it is in the Corps, so far as I can gather.

If it turns into one of those school playground debates about who's more elite, I bagsy first dibs on the delete button.

Sortezy

Reaction score
Perceived differences but not the typical stating the obvious "well one jumps from a plane" talk.

In depth...

And an absolute no no to the who's more elite talk.

Frankie11

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think whatever differences there are is worth debating. They're both highly trained professionals. Their tests are a little bit different to Royal Marines so it's hard to distinguish who is better and I don't see why you would want to either. Both do what they do exceptionally well and deserve the utmost respect. In fact I'm sure there are plenty of paras who are fitter and more skilled and some marines and some marines who are fitter and more skilled than some paras.

Basically one jumps from planes and kicks ass and one lands on beaches from boats and kicks ass. :)

You've got to go for whichever you feel suits you best, whether you have a green beret or a maroon beret on your head nobody's going to think either is better or worse than the other and you'll be damn proud of either one.

Reaction score
I think the unbiased responses above toward such a loaded question on a Marines forum speaks volumes in itself about the attitude of the Corps. I wonder what the response would be on a Para's forum?!?

Mr D

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Okay so this isn't a thread on me not knowing which to apply for because I have already decided. I've taken into account I might get some people disliking this thread or saying the typical things people say about this topic but I've recently seen a couple of these topics on Google on people asking about the difference.

Now from what I gather realistically both are very hard but the Marines just seem that tad more elite to say the least. Now when it comes to training the only thing that the Marines don't do in CTC that the Paras do a lot of is "Parachuting" but when it comes to the tranasium which is to be specific to the Paras which it is to some degree don't the Marines conduct excersizes at this height as well for example on the Tarzan Assault course there are components of it that are at least 50 feet in height...

Whats the question? to whom are you directing it ? and why are you asking it?,

Sortezy

Reaction score
The question is 100% not about whoes more elite, whoes better or any of that rubbish it doesn't interest me in the slightest but what I've been trying to wrap my head around is that the Paras being the Paras are a regiment made to "parachute out of planes" but don't the Marines also do this? Also the Paras have a course called the "Tranasium course" which is basically there to conquer fear of heights but then I was thinking.. Isnt the Marines Tarzan course that isn't even there to combat fear of heights have components in the course that are just as high as the ones in Tranasium course..

So what I'm thinking is what is the real difference instead of the repeated practice of jumping from planes in P company?

TrainInSaiyan

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not entirely convinced you're not trolling!

I'd suggest researching both paras and marines and coming to your own conclusions rather than asking for opinions on a marines forum (you will inevitably get marine-favoured results)

Rover

Reaction score
Discount the means of delivery to the combat area and you have two highly trained infantry units.
What more do you need!

Chelonian

Reaction score
Also the Paras have a course called the "Tranasium course" which is basically there to conquer fear of heights but then I was thinking.. Isnt the Marines Tarzan course that isn't even there to combat fear of heights have components in the course that are just as high as the ones in Tranasium course..

The Trainasium is not designed to 'conquer' fear of heights. Its purpose is to expose Recruits and others to operating at height, cultivate confidence, and ultimately to test ability to operate at height. All within a relatively safe and controlled environment. Contrary to popular belief, it is not a part of the Basic Parachute Course.

Tsar

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
On the subject. How does one end up doing the commando course or para course in the army?

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong @Sortezy, but it seems to me that what you're asking was more about, besides the obvious fact the paratroopers do a lot of parachuting, is there any specific or significant difference in the training or activities that the layman might not be aware of. Seems a few people are taking this as a bit of an attack on either the paras or the royals :)

Sortezy

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong @Sortezy, but it seems to me that what you're asking was more about, besides the obvious fact the paratroopers do a lot of parachuting, is there any specific or significant difference in the training or activities that the layman might not be aware of. Seems a few people are taking this as a bit of an attack on either the paras or the royals :)

Your exactly right mate! Still haven't REALLY got that answer... I'm far from attacking the Royals or the Paras because I know and everyone knows there absolute bloody beasts.

Mr D

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score

Cue life-line,

If that was the question why not just ask it?.

Sortezy

Reaction score
Its beyond me, sorry... Can the question be answered?

Chelonian

Reaction score
It used to be the case that from day one Recruit Training in the Parachute Regiment it was emphasised that parachuting is simply a means to an end; a delivery mechanism. During the Falklands conflict 2 PARA were a part of 3 Commando Brigade and arrived on the island by landing craft. What matters is what gets done on the ground.

Don't get too hung up—no pun intended—on parachuting. It's no big deal. Take a look in your local newspapers and see how many grandmothers make tandem freefall jumps for charity.

Step away from the healthy banter and you may identify as many similarities as differences between the Royal Marines and the Parachute Regiment.

Rover

Reaction score
Dare I mention that even members of the Royal Navy, including females, are parachute trained? o_O;)
Their task being rather different to the Royal Marines or the Parachute Regiment.:cool: :)