Difference's between Interval training.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AVS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
At the moment I'm doing hill sprints on a treadmill (no hills where I live) 4% incline at 17kmp/h in sets of 200m sprint and 200m walk/gentle jog, and i also do 2% incline normal intervals also at 200m sprint 200m walk/gentle jog (up to 2.4 kilometers) 60% spent sprinting.

Definetly better to do 400m sprints? Or is it just another thing like the difference between different peoples strength circuit ideas?

Let me know what you think, Cheers.

Jbc

Royal Marines Commando -Moderator
Reaction score
The longer the interval, the slower the pace. Key to interval training is finding a suitable distance that will give you gains relative to the type of fitness you need. Long distance runners will go for much greater intervals than say, an explosive athlete.

Runners will regularly train with intervals of 800m to a mile. Rugby players and other similar sports will train intervals of 50m to 400m. As a marine is say train intervals in the middle of 400m to 800m in conjunction with longer endurance runs.

AVS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The longer the interval, the slower the pace. Key to interval training is finding a suitable distance that will give you gains relative to the type of fitness you need. Long distance runners will go for much greater intervals than say, an explosive athlete.

Runners will regularly train with intervals of 800m to a mile. Rugby players and other similar sports will train intervals of 50m to 400m. As a marine is say train intervals in the middle of 400m to 800m in conjunction with longer endurance runs.
So 600m at 16kmp/h for example? I run 17kmp/h because I'll be doing 16.5 for the last 2.4km of me PJFT and would like to be used to something faster is my logic undeniable?

S

stokey_14

Why settle for one piece of chicken when you can have the whole barging bucket?

Mix it up, especially since your not training for a set distance benefit can be gained for short and long intervals.

400-800 M tend to be the most classically brutal distances as they are to long for an all out sprint but to short to really pace ones self.

Stokey

AVS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

Mix it up, especially since your not training for a set distance benefit can be gained for short and long intervals.

400-800 M tend to be the most classically brutal distances as they are to long for an all out sprint but to short to really pace ones self.

Stokey
No help, that gave.
More elaboration, it needs.

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
What he's trying to say is go outside and run, fatty.

Grimmey

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
So 600m at 16kmp/h for example? I run 17kmp/h because I'll be doing 16.5 for the last 2.4km of me PJFT and would like to be used to something faster is my logic undeniable?
AVS mate just find what speed/pace thats right for you, because its no good going fast the 1st couple of 400m's and slowing down, the idea is to go at the same pace for all of them.

Hills in my opinion are a whole package (Endurance,Speed,Leg Strength, Stamina...). But you should continue to accompany both which you are doing.

I believe what stokey is saying is too really get a benefit out of interval training you should accompany all distances. 100 meters up to 1500 meters or more.

Anything 800 or above are great for endurance and stamina.

Anything from 100m to 400m are great for speed. Mix them up and you will find it a real benefit when you test out your mile and half.

Either that or hes hungry...?

S

stokey_14

Either that or hes hungry...?

I?m always hungry.

However yes my point is get out pick a distance and destroy your self, switch it up, get lots out of it?

Though I think Illustrious phrased it far better than my self.

Stokey

AVS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers for the clarification on that lads, I understand why you do Interval training but not the differences between them, now I kinda' do :D

Status
Not open for further replies.