Dilemma

FrancisL1991

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'm kind of unsure now whether Commando or Officer is the way to go! At first it was Commando, then Officer, Commando again and now I'm kind of just a bit.. edging towards officer again.. I really want to be a Commando but an Officer appeals too.. Anyone got any advice?

Thanks

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Well if you examine your reasons for wanting to be either one, you may come to a conclusion. List them on here and see what people say.

jim87spencer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If you want higher pay and think you would be a good role model and inspire people to perform to the best of their ability then be an officer.

If you want to learn from the bottom up and be one of the lads join as a commando.

FrancisL1991

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

Officer - The pay (which to be honest I don't really care about)
More training
Bertie Kerr off 'Commando on the front line' seemed to have made a good decision as an Officer maybe i could see myself in his postition.
People often see me as a leader

Commando - Form a closer bond (*text deleted*)
People won't think i'm a snob (shallow)
The training isn't as long
I don't need all the academic stuff
I've been training more on the Commando side of things
Not sure I want the responsibility of an officer

Cheers guys!

jim87spencer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
even though im academicly thick as *text deleted**text deleted* i have the benefit of having a southern accent which makes me sound like i know what i'm talking about but i always get ripped by northerners for sounding like the queen, i wouldnt worry about what people think of you as an officer, if you're a born leader people will follow your orders without doubt.

FrancisL1991

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers

I know same here haha but i was raised in the south.. Wiltshire. But my Dad is a yorkshireman and My mum is half Geordie half Scottish and people assume that because of my accent and name I'm posh.. But i'm just worried that if I become an officer I'd get ripped but iI suppose it's a bit of banter. I fancy being a Commando a lot more though!

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
As an officer, you would pass the tests in general, 10% better than a Marine. Because of this, people thinking you're a snob shouldn't be an issue, because even if you are, you're a snob who can do the job bloody well! If you're someone who relishes a challenge, and has half a brain, I feel you should go in as an officer, or at least try.
If you don't try, you can't know. You won't pass out as an officer if you're not suitable for the role, that is the entire point of training.

FrancisL1991

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Fair point

Ultimately the decision is mine but i think i'm going toi have a crack at being a Commando. Cheers for the advice guys, sometimes you need to hear it from other people to properly contemplate something!

jim87spencer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I know same here haha but i was raised in the south.. Wiltshire. But my Dad is a yorkshireman and My mum is half Geordie half Scottish and people assume that because of my accent and name I'm posh.. But i'm just worried that if I become an officer I'd get ripped but iI suppose it's a bit of banter. I fancy being a Commando a lot more though!

same here! my dads from rotherham and my mums from liverpool but cause my dad was in the navy i got pushed out in st mary's, portsmouth

FrancisL1991

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Cool not a million miles away from me. Hampshire and Wiltshire aren't too far away. You support Rotherham, Pompey or Liverpool? *text deleted*

Jervis

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The good thing about the Royal Marine Commandos as a whole is that officer or commando you have been through trainning together which forms the same bond as any of the other officers or just commando's.... both are amazing and something to be proud of.

Richard

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Mate if you think you have the qualities to become an officer i would advise you to do it!
But.. its very.. very hard to become one. First of all you have to be alot fitter then the troop your leading! The training is alot longer and is asking for alot. You have to be 100% determined and extreamly fit!
A good start to your aplication is to show proof that you have good leadership, for e.g football captain or a supervisor in your last job.. and if you have had passed experiences in any organizations such as scouts or sea cadets it all goes in your favour..
Good luck anyway mate im sure you will make the best choice for you!

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Mate if you think you have the qualities to become an officer i would advise you to do it!
But.. its very.. very hard to become one. First of all you have to be alot fitter then the troop your leading! The training is alot longer and is asking for alot. You have to be 100% determined and extreamly fit!

Good words there sir!
People will always have the bonding thought, I did when I originally went for officer, as you have to keep the special distance from the troops you lead. But you will still have your mates in the occifer ranks.

And yes, harder than OR marines, and trained in same place - so OR can see your training haha. It's why they are respected so much by the rank and file.

Joe B

Reaction score
reyy i was born in St Mary's hospital too in portsmouth..its about 5 minute cycle from where i live *text deleted*

New Threads