Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Diplomatic Immunity

Discussion in 'General Military & Topical News' started by Chelonian, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Following a fatal road traffic incident the wife of a US diplomat under Police investigation returned to the USA claiming diplomatic immunity. The woman is alleged to have caused the fatality because she was driving on the ‘wrong’ side of the road.

Playing devil’s advocate here:
    Should the USA waive the woman’s diplomatic immunity so that Police investigations can continue in the UK? The parents of Harry Dunn have appealed to President Donald Trump for assistance in seeking justice for their son.

It is reported that the woman’s husband is a “member of the intelligence community” which is often a euphemism for ’spy’. The husband has been recalled to the USA. Do wider intelligence security issues mean that pragmatically the woman should remain in the USA rather than risk the possibility of HMP custody in the UK?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49984737

2. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

It really becomes a moral issue rather than a diplomatic one. She is the wife of the diplomat and she is the one, who having been involved in the RTC fled to the US, after stating she would help the Police. In my view she should return.

However the US has previous for this. In the 1980s, when Suffolk was awash with Americans at the Lakenheath and other similar airbases, the road from the Ipswich area to the bases were nose to tail with American cars with servicemen and women going to and from work.

It was an SOP for any of them back then, that if they were involved with any incident, RTC or otherwise, the miscreant was on their way back to the US asap.

Nothing appears to have changed.

Alan

3. doggle

doggle Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    From what I’ve read the husband isn’t a diplomat so she doesn’t have diplomatic immunity.
    She should do the right thing and get herself back to the UK to face criminal charges. My heart goes out to the family.
    As for Trunp...he disgusts me on so many levels but has reached a new low on this.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

According to some sources the woman cannot herself waive her diplomatic immunity even if she wished to do so. Only the US government can waive her immunity in this instance.

I agree that there's a distinct possibility she was instructed to return to the USA rather than unilaterally choosing to flee.