Discharged

JK

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
One of the new rules, 'you have to close your left eye, and keep your right eye open', well my mate failed it.

Niall sent 23/11/2007 10:28:
aw mate ive had my medical and failed,I cannot close my left eye,i was born with the left parts of my face paralised,i never really thought it would get in my way but it has it makes it very difficult to fire SA80'S so they discharged me

What do you think of this

Roddie

Reaction score
Well, he should have told them on the medical, and if he did and they still passed him, that's the docs fault. But that's unlucky.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Already discussed: Independent Winking Test

If you can't close your left eye, you cannot aim your rifle - if you shoot someone by accident, and the RN/RM already knew this- it's corporate manslaughter.

Globe-Trotter

PRMC Passed
Reaction score
How long has this been in force?

I was tested on my medical but its the first time ive been asked and ive had TA medicals for a few years and never been asked

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Friday 29th June 2007:

TESTING FOR INDEPENDENT WINKING

Following an in-Service issue where a person was unable to pass the Annual Personal Weapon Test
(APWT) due to the inability to close their left eye independently, all entrants to the Royal Navy and Royal Marines, including their Reserve counterparts, must now have this physical ability checked during the entrance medical.

Crabfat

Reaction score
This is something that I have a bit of personal experience of. Whilst a young recruit in RAF Recruit Training some years ago, I struggled to close my left eye on the WHT/Range. I can only speak from personal experience, but what worked for me was the friendly (haha!) Rockape instructor berating me and covering my left eye with my Beret until I managed to comfortably open and close my left eye independently. I am not for a moment suggesting that this is a cure for everybody, but I am just attempting to reassure some of the people in a similar situation that it may not be permanent issue for them, and would like to make sure the orginal poster knows that I am not for a second suggesting that this is a cure for his condition and wish him luck for the future.

H00L3Y D4N

Reaction score

i wasnt tested. i think that its right, but wrong. just a question, why font they make left side sa80's? as well?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Because the cartridge ejection port would lob red-hot used cartridges into your "port" cheek & Mark I eyeball, & the cocking lever would be on the "wrong" side.

In short: Cost.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Re: .

H00L3Y D4N said:
i wasnt tested. i think that its right, but wrong. just a question, why font they make left side sa80's? as well?
The big value in the SA80 is that all the parts are interchangeable with other weapons of the same family, the SA80 LSW to name one.

Thing is if they were to engineer a left handed SA80, some of the parts would be different. This could mean that the weapons armourer in your group would have to carry 2 sets of parts. There are other faults with it as well.

Basically the SA80 works because of uniformity throughout the UK forces, it's one of the big selling points of the weapon.

GW