Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Featured Dislocated Shoulder - change in medical standards

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Ninja_Stoker, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Good news, hopefully for those affected by repeat dislocations. JSP950 refers, change highlighted in the following quote in red.

Post surgery, cadidates will need to undergo a period of rehabilitation as determined by the service entry medical cell (SEMC), usually 12 months. Once discharged and signed off by the Physio candidates will need a discharge letter which includes a statement regarding whether negative apprehension is evident.

Candidates will then need to produce a 3 month upper body exercise diary as a demonstration there are no further issues.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Corona

Corona Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Do the medical standards change very often or is it just recently there have been a couple of big changes? It could be me only just noticing these threads more however.

Great news none the less

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

The medical standards are under constant review, much the same as surgical procedures and outcomes improve over time.

It's just the fact an 'on the ball' careers adviser, who shall remain nameless @CHUB!, gives me a dig whenever a significant one, worthy of highlighting, crops up.

Bottom line is things DO change, so it's worth checking-in every so often if knocked back at medical.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

5. Corona

Corona Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Ah right thanks

6. JayJ10255

JayJ10255 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I was meant to start RT 20th October last year, 1 week before I dislocated my left shoulder for the first time, I got given a 12 month wait to re apply, and the last 3 months I had to keep a fitness diary, I also re applied after the 9 month mark to get the ball rolling knowing it would be a longer process than before. Once I re applied and got to the medical stage ( 2 weeks ago ) I initially got made TMU and after a long process I got to a face to face and passed, PJFT Tuesday.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Good effort that man. Have you got a date for PRMC yet or just waiting?

8. JayJ10255

JayJ10255 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Thanks ninja, Baring in mind I got MD’d 2 years ago prior to this it’s been a long old road haha! I’ve got my PJFT Tuesday so once that’s out the way I’ll try and get on the next available PRMC, hopefully there’s spaces in November!!

• Like Like x 2
  9. cj2396

cj2396 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Are all AFCO careers advisers aware of this change?

10. lenny22

lenny22 Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Well done you

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Probably not.

Contact your AFCO and request they verify your current medical status via the Service Entry Medical Cell (SEMC), by all means link to this thread.

12. scottishninja95

scottishninja95 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Thanks ninja just seen this been off my feet with life at the moment, i was planning on going reserves but working ad hoc offshore isn’t going to work so busy looking for an onshore job, i have metal work in my shoulder which acts as a block. Ive got pretty much full range of movement back and feels better than ever,

What’s the view on metal work (two titanium screws)

• Like Like x 1
  13. cj2396

cj2396 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I'm in exactly the same position. I've emailed local AFCO and awaiting a reply. It's frustrating that medical standards are not continuously updated on the RN site as the national careers advisers just direct you there.