Dislocated shoulder

Cal_Lakey1

Reaction score
Hello,
I’m just wondering if anyone can give me some advice. Unfortunately I dislocated my shoulder 2 weeks ago (first time it’s happened), and when discussing treatment with the doctor, who knows about my ambition to join the Royal Marines, he suggested surgery as an option. He stated that this would be the best chance to prevent recurrence. However I’m fully aware that this would postpone my application 12 months. And also since this is my first dislocation, there is every chance with the correct rehabilitation my shoulder may recover 100%. Just wondering if anyone had an opinion on which path I should choose.
Thanks

Fibonarchie

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
To start with: always take your doctor’s advice.

HOWEVER, I have dislocated both shoulders on different occasions and have had surgery on neither. In fact, with only physio and some kinesiology tape I was able to play county rugby about a week and a half after the second one. That said, there are differing degrees of damage done through shoulder dislocations and I was pretty lucky with both of mine.
@CHUB! or @Ninja_Stoker will give you information regarding medical, though I expect there will be a reasonably long TMU following surgery so it depends where you are in the process as to how large a set back that is.
As above, find out how it affect your application first but listen to your doctor - your health is priority one. But also remember that physio and rehab really can work miracles.
Best of luck!

m2013

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
First time i popped mine out i was told its like 90% *text deleted* happen again due to damage to the socket it gets looser each time.
I ended up having open surgery on mine got pins screws the lot in it as mine was bad there was alot of bone chipped away and tears.

Been fine ever since and hopefully i never have to feel the pain of it popping again

Cal_Lakey1

Reaction score
To start with: always take your doctor’s advice.

HOWEVER, I have dislocated both shoulders on different occasions and have had surgery on neither. In fact, with only physio and some kinesiology tape I was able to play county rugby about a week and a half after the second one. That said, there are differing degrees of damage done through shoulder dislocations and I was pretty lucky with both of mine.
@CHUB! or @Ninja_Stoker will give you information regarding medical, though I expect there will be a reasonably long TMU following surgery so it depends where you are in the process as to how large a set back that is.
As above, find out how it affect your application first but listen to your doctor - your health is priority one. But also remember that physio and rehab really can work miracles.
Best of luck!
How old were you when you dislocated them? I know age is suppose to be a big influence over the rate of recurrence. Also do you feel like it’s always in the back of your mind it’ll happen again?
First time i popped mine out i was told its like 90% *text deleted* happen again due to damage to the socket it gets looser each time.
I ended up having open surgery on mine got pins screws the lot in it as mine was bad there was alot of bone chipped away and tears.

Been fine ever since and hopefully i never have to feel the pain of it popping again
How long was your recovery time after the op?

Fibonarchie

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
How old were you when you dislocated them? I know age is suppose to be a big influence over the rate of recurrence. Also do you feel like it’s always in the back of your mind it’ll happen again?
The first was when I was about 9 and second when I was 14. The first went straight back in, the second I put back in myself. You’re absolutely right about the age though in fact the first was much worse and I was able to pop it in and out on purpose for at least a year. It all depends how badly you’ve damaged the muscles and joint.

Cal_Lakey1

Reaction score
Mine was out for roughly 2 hours. Although they said it was surprisingly easy for them to put it back into place... I don’t know if that means a ‘clean’ dislocation? Just hating the frustration of not being able to train and pushing back my application.

Imperator13

Reaction score
Mine was out for roughly 2 hours. Although they said it was surprisingly easy for them to put it back into place... I don’t know if that means a ‘clean’ dislocation? Just hating the frustration of not being able to train and pushing back my application.

Better to push it back than not be able to continue it. I know that sounds annoying, but think of it as, I can join in 12 months (as an example) or I won’t be able to join if I don’t get it fixed properly!

All the best with it and your app mate

Chelonian

Reaction score
Unfortunately I dislocated my shoulder 2 weeks ago (first time it’s happened), and when discussing treatment with the doctor, who knows about my ambition to join the Royal Marines, he suggested surgery as an option. He stated that this would be the best chance to prevent recurrence.

I'm not qualified to offer medical or careers advice but before getting corrective surgery I'd suggest that you need definitive and explicit information about exactly how such surgery might affect your application.
As stated by @Fibonarchie one of the CAs on here is best placed to advise. Best of luck.

m2013

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score

How long was your recovery time after the op?
Like 6 months until fully army doctors standard of been fit again.
No bad side effects since just a slightly less range of movement as the ligaments got chopped and tightened

New Threads