Disqualifying condition?

CanadaIsCold

Reaction score
Just found out today after being shown a medical PDF manual that I might have a condition that bars me from entry, which obviously wasn't the news I was eager to hear!
I was also told they might be slightly lenient then it shows in the PDF so I figured I'd at least ask.

A few years ago, I was diagnosed with a condition called Chronic Urticaria - it was caused by exercise but I managed to push through it and I've been symptom free for 2 years now. I didn't think it would be a problem, as I haven't experienced anything - I ran an ultra and trained MMA (so I've been pushed to the limits), symptom free if that means anything?
1614287831142.png
It says graded UNFIT here for physical urticaria, but under chronic spontaneous urticaria it also says that if you're symptom free for 2 years you might be regarded as FIT again. Was wondering, is this a definite disqualification? Or is it more reviewed on case-by-case basis?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Assuming that's the latest version of JSP950, then the way I read it, you cannot be passed fit untill two years free from symptoms AND treatment.

Generally the symptom/treatment-free period is non-negotiable, but hopefully @The guide or @CHUB! will clarify if this has changed.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
@CanadaIsCold Oddly enough just had one with this -and as @Ninja_Stoker states, as per the current JSP edition, it is both clear of symptoms and medications, if you are you should be able to get through the medical process. But get all the supporting evidence for this ready from your GP for sending to Capita as you will be made TMU until isis clarified by them.

CanadaIsCold

Reaction score
@CanadaIsCold Oddly enough just had one with this -and as @Ninja_Stoker states, as per the current JSP edition, it is both clear of symptoms and medications, if you are you should be able to get through the medical process. But get all the supporting evidence for this ready from your GP for sending to Capita as you will be made TMU until isis clarified by them.
Assuming that's the latest version of JSP950, then the way I read it, you cannot be passed fit untill two years free from symptoms AND treatment.

Generally the symptom/treatment-free period is non-negotiable, but hopefully @The guide or @CHUB! will clarify if this has changed.
Good info guys, really appreciate it! Unfortunately I will have to wait a bit longer, but that's a lot better than the answer I was expecting

its_meg

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just found out today after being shown a medical PDF manual that I might have a condition that bars me from entry, which obviously wasn't the news I was eager to hear!
I was also told they might be slightly lenient then it shows in the PDF so I figured I'd at least ask.

A few years ago, I was diagnosed with a condition called Chronic Urticaria - it was caused by exercise but I managed to push through it and I've been symptom free for 2 years now. I didn't think it would be a problem, as I haven't experienced anything - I ran an ultra and trained MMA (so I've been pushed to the limits), symptom free if that means anything?
1614287831142.png
It says graded UNFIT here for physical urticaria, but under chronic spontaneous urticaria it also says that if you're symptom free for 2 years you might be regarded as FIT again. Was wondering, is this a definite disqualification? Or is it more reviewed on case-by-case basis?
I had this condition however mine was caused for an 'unknown reason'. When I went through my medical I was made PMU for it (although I appealed it and won) simply due to the fact I had an epi-pen for it. They said that since I had been years free of symptoms that it wouldn't have been an issue otherwise. It took me 9 months to appeal it but it worked eventually!