Dissertation Topics

Discussion in 'Royal Marines History and Knowledge' started by JaFrJh, Sep 27, 2017.

1. JaFrJh

JaFrJh New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi guys, can anyone give me any good and interesting topics to write a 5000 word dissertation on? Maybe some that I could talk about in my AIB?

Currently thinking about doing: What could we expect to see if NASA had the same budget as the US military?

But wasn't sure if there were any that could make myself a higher calibre candidate.

Cheers, Jack

2. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

Mate. I would love to help you. But I am a knuckle dragging troglodyte.

I can barely string 50 words together let alone 5000.

Interesting concept of NASA having their budget.

3. TangoWhisky

TangoWhisky Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I did a 4000 word dissertation on Rupert Smith's book, The Utility of Force. I took his arguments and applied them to the abilities of conventional armies to project force.

If you're interested in the academic title, it was:

“Interstate industrial war” versus “war amongst the people”. In what ways, according to Rupert Smith’s ‘paradigm shift’ of warfare, are conventional armies still a viable means with which to project force?

I would suggest finding a well respected argument, and criticise it. That way you can show that you can understand and respect arguments, but also form your own opinions, counter argue and defend your points.

Other than the question you've already posted, are there any specific areas you're really interested in?

Hope this helps.

4. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

@JaFrJh A couple of suggestions below. I chose the first title myself a few years back when I had to prove I'd been learned to write proper.

"What is the value to an organisation of having values?"

"The challenge to the military establishment of implementing politically inspired twenty-first century social experiments."

Nonsense. Your posts are always most articulate and very focused.

5. JaFrJh

JaFrJh New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks guys I'll have to look into these and @TangoWhisky I was just looking for something interesting really that could help my AIB.

Are there any strong arguments I could counter?

6. JWJ

JWJ Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    I'm doing a 5000 word EPQ on Women entering front line service.

May come across as appearing like you're a know it all in an AIB, or really well.

• Like Like x 1