Distance

Roy Brown

Reaction score
Ok so this week i will run four times as i have been doing. Currently the furthest distance i can run is about 2 miles at a decent jogging pace. But while i want to gradually increase the distances for a while i also want to improve my speed. For instance running 2 miles 4 times this week would improve the distance i'm running rather than the speed. So do you think running 1.5 mile quickly just once this week will improve my speed or is it too early?

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Most people involve a variety into a weeks worth of running. A few suggestions: Short runs, long runs, easy runs, hard runs, sprint training, hill sprints, bleep tests and interval (or fartlek) training. To put it into context you shouldn't train hard for more than 2 consecutive days, so if you do a hill sprint session on Monday, ideally on Tuesday you'll want a relatively easy run, on Thursday you might want a distance run and on Friday an easy run. Obviously spread the different types of training sessions over the month but make sure you have a routine worked out for that month.

By distance or long run I mean 6 miles and above so you may need to work on this before you try.

Joe

Reaction score
Something like...

Monday - "long run" nice pace, not to fast...but not easy either.
Tuesday - long slow run - like a recovery run. Further than mondays run, but slower pace.

Thursday - Interval/Short run - fast run over 2/3 miles.
Friday - long slow run.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Joe, "Super, Smashing, Great!" as that person from somewhere would say.. That's exactly what I mean =) I read over it and thought it might sound complicated.