Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Ditch weights completely?

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by KW159, May 9, 2019.

1. KW159

KW159 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Alright lads need some clarification here.

So I'm 16 years old and looking to start my application towards the end of my college course next year. This is roughly 14 months away.

I've been lifting properly at the gym for about a year now and my strength is pretty good. Now from lurking around on here I understand that what I can lift doesn't really matter whatsoever and I need to be focusing on running and body weight exercise.

I've got Arnys plan saved onto my phone for when I'm closer to joining but I'm not really sure how to train currently, 14 months away. Should I completely ditch the weights and focus completely on weighted/bodyweight callisthenics plus running or am I meant to keep doing compound barbell exercises to keep my strength up? I see a lot of conflicting views on here, some are adamant that you should not use weights and some people suggest doing low rep, heavy compounds to maximise strength for the PRMC.

Hope this made sense, apologies if it's already been answered before.

2. AngryArgie

AngryArgie New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Hi mate, I’m around your age and used to lift quite a bit but stopped completely when I decided I was going to go for the RM, however that was only because my press ups and pull ups especially were terrible and I made the decision to focus on body weight exercises entirely instead of weights. I have seen a huge increase in pull ups and press ups over a few months after focussing specifically on those two, although I feel as if I have hit a ceiling with my press ups so I purchased a weight vest like many people suggest to and have started using that.
    I recommend to focus specifically on your body weight exercises and fit maybe one weight session in a week to keep some of the mass you may have or stop it completely as I have done but this is up to your preference. Dropping a large portion of the mass I had has definitely helped in running also which you might struggle with so take that in mind.

Hope this helps.

3. Tomfoolery

Tomfoolery New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Spot on. Any mass you bring in that doesn't get utilized by the phys you're doing will only act to slow you down.

4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

There are others on here far better qualified than I am to advise on phys. Hopefully, as above others will chip in.
    A few general observations:

Arny's plan has helped many lads to pass PRMC so it's a proven winner. Aim to peak your PRMC training in time for the PRMC itself.

At age sixteen and now fourteen months away from a PRMC I'd suggest building good general fitness. A mix of gym and running will keep you ticking over. Throw in some swimming and cycling if you can to make it interesting.

The forum isn't anti-gym and weights; it's just that many lads get the balance wrong and focus on getting that ripped look sported by models. They overlook the fact that they will never be required to benchpress anything during RT. But they will be required to have enough leg strength and endurance to cope with a monumental amount of sprints, hill sprints, pull ups, press ups, rope climbs, etc.

As mentioned above, a supposedly aesthetically pleasing muscle mass will be of no use when climbing a thirty-foot rope. Lean and functional.

Also, a structured approach to the selection hurdles is advised. One of the first is the PJFT which will be done on a treadmill. Some lads get caught out by not focussing on treadmill training before their PJFT. The technique is different from road running and deserves attention.

Best of luck.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  5. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

You don’t need to ditch weights if you enjoy doing it! The message from this forum however, is that you don’t need to do weights to pass a PRMC. And a mistake a lot of lads make is to think that to be a RM means you need to look like the Hulk! This is not true.

To pass a PRMC you need to be extremely capable of doing body weight exercises, and have a very good level of CV ability. Make of that what you will.

If you already have a decent base of physical fitness then specific good quality training 3-4 months prior to a PRMC should be more than adequate.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Tomfoolery

Tomfoolery New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Must have missed this bit before. Why are you lifting at all?

7. Cheezy hammy eggy

Cheezy hammy eggy Member

My son was enrolled at college doing a Uniformed Services course designed for students who want to join the obvious.
    The civvy instructors were ex RN PTIs who had a good rapport with visiting RMAD staff from Lympstone. The RMAD is designed to assess potential recruits for suitability for the next step of PRMC.
    Although gym weights may be of use, massive emphasis is on quality pull ups, press ups, sit ups and good times on the 1.5 mile runs. These are the pass/ fail elements of PRMC with a mini endurance course thrown in for good measure.
    My son concentrated on the above and passed Gym pass out in phase 1 as superior without being a muscle bosun.

• Like Like x 4
  8. KW159

KW159 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thank you for all the replies, going to start implementing a lot more cardio and start getting my general fitness up.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sly3

Sly3 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    @KW159

Get some resistance bands to exercise Pull-Ups and do the correct form properly, you’ll be able to give out perfect pull ups at a reasonable weight limit until you get stronger.

Each band has a resistance to colour I can’t stress how effective these are, and reduce the stress put on by many repetitions of the exercise. Obviously the heavier you are the more strain is required and if you aren’t used to it you’ll damage your shoulders.