Divers

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by lukec1999, Oct 1, 2015.

1. lukec1999

lukec1999 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I was just wondering if people had info on the divers within the navy? What do they do and how do you become one? Cheers.

2. Xerath

Xerath Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
  3. lukec1999

lukec1999 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Cheers mate, I'm guessing you need pass diving experience?

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

No previous experience necessary for Mine Clearance Diver but it would be somewhat remiss to join as a Diver if you've not at least tried it to see if you like it.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  5. westy

westy Well-Known Member

What would happen if you joined as a diver then hated diving?

6. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando

I'll give you three guesses!

If you've never dived before it would be prudent to try it first. PADI do a Discover Scuba course which covers the very basics to see if you're comfortable being underwater. It's not unusual to find that people are claustrophobic when diving. It used to be the case that on an SB acquaint, (not sure if they do them these days}, that you tried being underwater to see if you had any issues.

Saves an awful lot of time and money for all concerned!

Alan

Edit: I should have added the cost is around £30.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  7. westy

westy Well-Known Member

I was just curious really, I recently qualified as an open water diver so get a bit excited about all things under the sea!!

8. Caversham

If you're Open Water trained then you're ok down to 18 metres and must be comfortable under the surface, so if CD is your thing then get your fitness up and go for it.

The RN used to have Ships Divers, on all warships and in the days of detachments on board a lot of RMs trained as a SD if they picked up a draft to the Grey Funnel Line.

Alan

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  9. fckdandbombed

fckdandbombed Active Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread(and with a dumb question) but I was jist wondering if there are any diving opportunities in the RM outside of sbs, ive heard that SF attached units learn to parachute so would some learn to dive? Also I know usmc do diving schools, is it possible for a RM to go and do one with them? Lastly can you spend your learning credits on civi diving quals or is it only for gcses, degrees etc.
    Thanks

10. Ninja_Stoker

You are unlikely to be called upon to undertake operational dives unless an RN Diver or SBS.

Recreational diving courses are available as part of your adventurous training entitlement and are subsidised through sports funding rather than educational schemes.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  11. H01ty

H01ty Active Member

On AT packages, is there a range of diving courses or maybe an alternative to doing a course (such as 'fun dives' while other lads do their course)?

Asking as I am quite highly qualified in civvy diving already so would be a bit stuck if AT was the open water course!

12. The guide

The guide Royal Marines Commando

Diving is a fairly big sport in the military with lots of expeds going all over the place for diving , Scarpa flow and the like.!!i did a cave diving exped a good few years back...if you up to PADI dive master you will get loads of trips that would suit ,it will be a case of can you get the time off and are you free to be able to go.!!..There are dive centre,s in Cyprus , and Germany (Kiel..so cold water diving there..:eek:)

13. H01ty

H01ty Active Member

That sounds awesome. Cave diving seems like absolute madness (all increases the appeal, of course...), we went caving with uni before Christmas and the blokes running it were keen cave divers, said the stats were like 1 in every 17 group cave dives results in a fatality!
    I'm not quite divemaster yet, advanced with first aid and a few specialities so looking towards rescue diver this year. If the Corps allows the time or opportunity I'll pursue DM once hopefully serving.

Thanks!

14. Morjen

Morjen New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    "You are unlikely to be called upon to undertake operational dives unless an RN Diver or SBS."

I tried looking online and the only thing that comes up when searching for RN Diver is a mine clearence diver. Is there no diver specialty like combat diver or reconisance diver, etc.?

15. Caversham

No. All of the above posts are still relevant.

Alan

16. Ninja_Stoker

I've heard idle chat of training Aircrewman as Recue Divers for the aircraft carriers, but we've not needed them for 30+ years, so I'm not sure that'll happen.

Navy Divers do undertake the recce role as well as the EOD role. Your underwater knife-fighers are indeed Swimmer Canoeists.

17. Williamosaurus

Williamosaurus New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I remember reading about divers attached to the Commando Engineers which are part of 3 commando brigade.

"Additionally, the Regiment also has a diving team, trained to conduct sub-surface engineering tasks as well as survey rivers and beaches in order to identify their suitability for bridging."
    Source: https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/our-or.../royal-marines/3-commando-brigade/24-commando

However, upon further reading they are Army Engineer divers attached to the Commando Engineers.
    "In the British Army they may be Royal Engineers Divers or Commando Engineer Divers."
    Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_engineer_diver (I know, wikipediao_O)

If you join the Royal Marines theres no pathway to this I'm afraid.
    You'll need to eventually join the SBS if you want to kill sharks with your bare hands.

18. Ninja_Stoker

One of the main differences with RN/RM divers and Army Divers is the depths to which they sink :)

For RN/RM you'll hear tell of mixed-gas breathing apparatus and oxygen rebreathers for the stealthy stuff. (Otherwise known as the "soda lime suicide set"). As a former breathing apparatus maintainer, I used to hate servicing the kit in the knowledge that if you got it wrong, you were risking someone else's life. Your own, only if they survived and came looking for you.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Williamosaurus

Williamosaurus New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I'm sure that with this understanding they would have been extra nice to you.

Theres a lot of situations in the Armed Forces where a mistake could potentially cost someone else their life, I imagine you get used to the pressure and training prepares you for this?

I remember finding it odd as to why they teach you things such as making your bed. However the discipline and attention to detail can be applied to many different tasks eliminating the dangers of somebody half-arsing their way though the job.

"Making your bed saves lives"- the new Army advert, probably.

• Like Like x 1