Do 43 Commando officers sit in an ops room?

Reaction score
Question is above. For additional clarification, I am wondering if the officers in 43 commando do any of the pointy end action.

OddPikeFromCrimsonCity.

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Officers at any unit have a completely different role from lads at the pointy end. And in terms of 43 no they are not in the same role as the bods on the ground.
This might be a stupid question with an obvious. Answer, but why do officers in training earn a lot more than Royal Marines that are fully trained and qualified?

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Officers are paid more in general, they also accept the queen’s commission on day one, this is why I’m assuming they are paid higher

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
No we don’t accept a queens commission. Only officers accept the queens commission. That’s why we call high ranks in the other ranks, non commissioned officers. They havnt accepted the queens commission that is why we do not salute them.

OddPikeFromCrimsonCity.

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
No we don’t accept a queens commission. Only officers accept the queens commission. That’s why we call high ranks in the other ranks, non commissioned officers. They havnt accepted the queens commission that is why we do not salute them.
Oh sorry my bad, so would a marine not salute a coperal?

TheRents

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Commissioned Officers hold a Queens Commission

Non Commissioned Officers (NCO's) hold a Royal Warrant hence WO2 WO1

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
No never salute a corporal. Although I’d love to see someone do it and see what happens haha. Only ever salute a commissioned officer. So Lt and above, and army/navy/raf equivalent. However your confusion may come from the fact you do refer to WO1s and WO2s as sir/ma’am but do not salute them.

OddPikeFromCrimsonCity.

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
No never salute a corporal. Although I’d love to see someone do it and see what happens haha. Only ever salute a commissioned officer. So Lt and above, and army/navy/raf equivalent. However your confusion may come from the fact you do refer to WO1s and WO2s as sir/ma’am but do not salute them.
Let’s say you see a lt from the US marines for example would you saulute them? Or do you only salute on of your own

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
If you know their ranks and they are visiting a uk base then probably out of respect yeah. But if you didn’t there probably wouldn’t be too much drama, it’s not your fault if you don’t know their rank structure. Bloody oak leaves and eagles with the yanks. However you will find yourself playing the game “I will literally cross the street and into a building to avoid banging one up” especially when it’s on a naval base to salute the colours, which is done every morning and evening!

johno4

Reaction score
Are you expected to also know the Royal Navy and RAF rank structure as a boot neck ?

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
When saluting an officer, you are technically acknowledging Her Majesty the Queen as Head of State and saluting the rank the officer in question holds (the Queen's commission) rather than the individual themselves, if that makes sense?

When an officer returns a salute, it is done so on behalf of the Queen.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Are you expected to also know the Royal Navy and RAF rank structure as a boot neck ?
If you know the rank, you are supposed to. But any decent officer should realise and not give you too much hassle for it.

The RAF is pretty simple, if you see a barcode then Chuck one up. For the Navy If there’s scrambled eggs on their uniform Chuck one up.

Same with foreign officers, if you are aware of the rank, Chuck one up. You should be briefed if you are anywhere with foreign militaries.

You should also salute staff cars if their bonnet flags are up.

If in doubt, Chuck one up. And be polite or respectful and a good officer will be understanding and cool with it.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
This might be a stupid question with an obvious. Answer, but why do officers in training earn a lot more than Royal Marines that are fully trained and qualified?
Because they are managers. They have a lot more responsibilities and duties.

As a bootneck I just need to worry about making wets, keeping my gat clean, kicking in a few doors.
The officers have to worry about planning, managing and running a Troop, an attack, a Unit etc. They have a duty of care to the people in their charge.

CallMeLucifer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Because they are managers. They have a lot more responsibilities and duties.

As a bootneck I just need to worry about making wets, keeping my gat clean, kicking in a few doors.
The officers have to worry about planning, managing and running a Troop, an attack, a Unit etc. They have a duty of care to the people in their charge.
Out of curiosity, once in a unity, do you always refer NCOs by their rank? Because I've been told by people that such formalities are superfluous and are one first name basis.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, once in a unity, do you always refer NCOs by their rank? Because I've been told by people that such formalities are superfluous and are one first name basis.
Depends on the situation, usually not. Just first name terms. Depends how well you know them.