Do Royal Marines serve on ships?

Reaction score
Hi, any serving or ex Royal Marines know whether it’s likely you’ll serve on a ship? I’m due to start training soon, I’m curious which units are more likely than others to be stationed on ships with the RN?

Thanks in advance.

TheRents

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Simple answer - yes

42 handle most of the RN/RFA deployments

Former AE

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
There are also detachments of RFAs when required.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
When are you due to start training?

As said 42 cover majority of maritime tasks although of course 47 will have LCs based on the likes of Albion.

Advice. If you've been through interview and are starting training soon you should know what each unit does and where they are in the world. The information is not difficult to find. Have a look on Instagram and Facebook pages. Rightly or wrongly the Corps advertises exactly who is where and what they are doing.

Or if you'd like more detail, subscribe to the Globe and Laurel. Perhaps set yourself a project. If you dont already know, learn the Units location, name of the camp, and what that Unit is up to recently.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Anyone got any tips on land sickness?
As a Former Honking Pongo I'm reluctant to comment. But as a Current Gobshïte I will anyway.

From personal experience someone wobbling about on a floaty, boaty, shippy, yachty thing for a few weeks might experience "land sickness" when first stepping ashore onto terra firma. :)

My advice is to immediately head for a bar and seek the embrace of a sturdy woman.

Dutch88

Reaction score
Anyone got any tips on land sickness?
I’ve worked on fishing boats for the past 5 years.
I never got sea sick but got a bit of land sickness for the first month.
But on return ashore I’d always go to the pub.
For a while I thought the beer was just affecting me a lot quicker than it was.
I just felt dizzy for a while. But it didn’t start until about an hour after getting ashore.
But you just get used to it after a while. Same with sea sickness I think. Apparently ginger biscuits help ease the stomach with sea sickness.