do you all want to go?

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
how many of you really want to go to afghanistan?

if so, when do you reckon you will be deployed there?

spartan

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
sometimes i dont want to go, i want to experiance combat as im sure most of u want to but the novelty will wear off quickly im sure. i wouldnt mind so much if the enemy wasnt so fanatical but the guys we might be fighting actually want to die so they can go to paradise or whatever. on the other hand i want to help, i think the more people go the more can be done and that makes me want to go. so i guess its mixed feelings for me. (sorry for the long post)

SandTiger

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Theres a part of me that really wants to go to Afghanistan.

I was told by a mate that you would probably get deployed within a few weeks of finishing RT, possibly less? Is that correct?

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
of course i want to go, its part of the job and it would be something i would love to do. They reckon the war will last for 30 years, so i don't want to spend the rest of my career in the RM's on tours in Afghan, i will look elsewhere in the RM's and find another career path (PTI, ML etc) and try and experience as much as possible. I want to help people and make a difference at the end of the day, so a lot of humanitarian work would'nt hurt either!

JSB

Reaction score
100% I would like to go. I know it is a dangerous place, but that is ultimately what you have been trained for. Also, why should I expect other people to go out on deployments there for the same cause if I'm not 100% willing either.

JDMSAM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thinking about it now I Cant wait to get out to Helmand Valley, But when it becomes more like reality then other feelings will come into the mix

mike webb

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
hmmm, good question! i suppose war should never be excitingly engaged, because, some people dont come back alive... and none of us woud want that to be ourselves. however at the same time we havent applied to join just to sit about in Germany, and cyprus for our whole careers. its part of the job, i suppose its the bit you train for, and war fighting is why you apply, lets be honest, if you didnt believe in fighting and conflict you wouldnt join the forces. but i would always show a ayre of restraint when talking about my eagerness to go to afghan, because im sure there are a lot of servicemen who have been badly affected by events out there, and whom would consider us foolish and niave for our apparent enthusaism.

mike

F.M.J

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i am 100% all for me going! it is my destiny! i was born to go!!! but, i must pass an eye exam first... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR shi'tty eyes of mine! but if i dont go there through the RM i will swim there and take my own rifle and nades! and fight my own war! *text deleted*

Commando Kennedy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I *text deleted* go! Its what *text deleted* 32 weeks training is for!..And if u go there srt8 outta RT u will be clued up on everything!..I can't wait to go!

Ben-wales

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
if people are thinking "i dont really want to go" or " dunno if ill like being shot at and killing people" etc then your in the wrong job! you should give up now!

can't wait to get out there!

J

Jason_A

Sorry, but I find this an absolutely rediclous question.

If you even have to stop and think about this then you're heading into the wrong career. What are you thinking?

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but I find this an absolutely rediclous question.

If you even have to stop and think about this then you're heading into the wrong career. What are you thinking?

Not really,
I really want to go,
but there's obviously a part of me which doesn't like the idea of coming home in a sack before I'm 30,
I think you're a bit naive if you don't have that thought.

Nacnud

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I want to go, because after 30 weeks of training your arse off, you'll be wanting to put it all into practice, otherwise there might not be much point in all the training or some parts to it such as the marksman. On the other hand, taleban are fanatical, want to die, will blow themselves up without a second thought and the things they may do to us if we are captured would be unspeakable. "kiss my taleban butt human rights" i can imagine the taleban saying.

Chicogiz

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
if people are thinking "i dont really want to go" or " dunno if ill like being shot at and killing people" etc then your in the wrong job! you should give up now!

can't wait to get out there!

Your wrong there mate, if you ask soilders do you like being shot at the say *text deleted**text deleted* no, first few time yes you get a buzz, but when you see mates die sometimes or injured, many soilders have that thought but put it to the back of there minds and get on with it, me myself i *text deleted* go straight, but im worried, not about the fighting, im worried about IED'S, mines etc, stuff you cant fight against, but then again i know i can control the thought of things like that, i also want to be in combat to see what its like. Also lads you may find im chatting crap etc, but most soilders get the buz and leave, many get the experiance and leave. Dont listen to the news or anything, my uncle had to use his knife out there to kill, some things out there are pretty close up *text deleted**text deleted*. Many people think its all fun and games out there, but treat as fun and games, the thats were you lose lifes and people get injured etc.

Nacnud

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Good point about the IEDs, i'm terrified of the mines. Thank goodness for mine clearers!

spartan

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
:iagree: thats pretty much what i think chicogiz , and Jason this is a question that everyone joining the forces should think hard about

J

Jason_A

It's like any career -- if you're not happy doing it, then don't do it. No one is forcing you.

Any one in the army can die -- so if that scares you so much then choose a different career. Alternatively, you can go and get knocked over by a bus which is just the same -- which wouldn't be a good way to go.

Chicogiz

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
It's like any career -- if you're not happy doing it, then don't do it. No one is forcing you.

Any one in the army can die -- so if that scares you so much then choose a different career. Alternatively, you can go and get knocked over by a bus which is just the same -- which wouldn't be a good way to go.

Mate sorry but that is 100% *text deleted**text deleted*. Most people who dont think about it, they get shocked when out there, it is as simple as that, speak to soilders yourself, unless your just 1 incredable *text deleted**text deleted*er, being scared.nervous etc is part of being human everyone gets it.

Chicogiz

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* your applying for the wrong job if you dont want to go. Theres people who have been in the forces for years and never fired a round till iraq and 'ghanners came along. Every soldier looks forward putting his skills to the test.
It also depends which commando unit you choose to serve in and if there next on deployment

*text deleted* i want to go read the above.

Chicogiz

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* your applying for the wrong job if you dont want to go. Theres people who have been in the forces for years and never fired a round till iraq and 'ghanners came along. Every soldier looks forward putting his skills to the test.
It also depends which commando unit you choose to serve in and if there next on deployment

And ofcourse you want to go, why have a trained footballer who never plays?