Do you get most weekends off during training?

Oz22

Reaction score
Time off during training! Any Info???

Hi everyone!
Does anyone know if you usually finish training on a friday night then get the weekend off unless your on a training excercise?

ninja09

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
:uglyhammer:

at the start you leave saturday morning and have to be back by 8pm. It gradually increases throughout training

Pico

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Taken from RM website

I had been going out with Dean for about a year when he told me he was joining the Marines. I was really worried that he would be away for long periods of time and that we might not see each other as much as we would like to. Once he joined up he had to stay on camp for the first weekend. But after that he got home most weekends or I went to Devon to see him.

I went down with his parents to Families? Day at the end of week three. It was really good to meet his training team and the other lads in his troop. They all seemed really nice and really passionate about what they were doing. We had loads of talks from the Chaplain and Dean?s Commanders who reassured us he was in safe hands.

During his training Dean got injured and had to spend some time getting better. He was really down during this time and it put a lot of pressure on our relationship. His mum and dad were really good though and after a few weeks he was back in training and things calmed down again. He always came home with really funny stories and told us loads of things about what he had been doing.

On his Pass Out day I was really pleased he had passed training and got to meet all his friends that he had made over the several months. When he finished training he chose to go to Scotland, which was good as he was a lot closer to home. I still worry about him and what it will be like if he gets sent away. But I reckon him going through training was the hardest part and everything else will be relatively easy.

May not be true?...

Oz22

Reaction score
Only reason i ask is because i have a gf and we wondered how often we would see each other through out training.
Thanks for the replies, but does anyone know a difinitive answer?

Cheers lads!

Oz22

Reaction score
Yeah i have a gf but we live in the midlands so not much point coming down to see me at 2pm then leave again at 8pm that night.

Does anyone else have a gf who is asking how often they will see u?

Cheers PRM09

Oz22

Reaction score
Yeah i can imagine you dont get time to breath!
Are you in training now or have been?

Oz22

Reaction score
Nice one buddy!
I didnt expect i would have much time out of training anyway, just get my gf asking all the time! ha!
Anyway good luck with it all!

Damo90

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

Joining the Royal Marines is the only thing I've ever wanted to do. The thing I'm worried about is that I have a 2 year old boy to my ex partner. I'm just looking for some advice to how much time you get to come home to visit during training. Also I have a new partner now and things are well, but the question she has is "how long are you based in one place". like do you have to move home quite often ?

Thanks guys

Lucky-1972

Reaction score
@Damo90 The impression I've got is you don't get much time off at all during training, a long weekend every now and then one at 3 weeks, on at 10 etc or something like that, or at least that's what the paperwork I got from my local AFCO said. I might be wrong but Im not expecting to have much time off. Hope this helps as I have heard different stories as well and have being trying to look into it.

MumtoRM

Reaction score
@Damo90 see here for the 32 week programme re scheduled weekends off
http://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/royal-marines-commando-32-week-recruit-training-programme.56595/

However, bear in mind that this schedule is subject to change for many reasons.

My son had his week 10 weekend cancelled due to a few members of the troop being 'naughty' on Hunter's Moon (not him!). He also did not get the one at week 27 as that was just before/after summer leave.

I do recall though that they did get 'free time' at weekends during training, usually sometime after duties on Saturday mornings through to Sunday evening.He usually went into Exeter to get drunk! This was more so in Phase 2.

Hope this helps.

Damo90

Reaction score
@MumtoRM & @Lucky-1972 .. Thanks for your comments it's appreciated.
Ill have a look at that schedule now. Seems to me that other troops can spoil it for the rest. lets hope the ones I'll be with have their heads screwed on.

MumtoRM

Reaction score
@MumtoRM & @Lucky-1972 .. Thanks for your comments it's appreciated.
Ill have a look at that schedule now. Seems to me that other troops can spoil it for the rest. lets hope the ones I'll be with have their heads screwed on.
All troops will be a mixed bag I'm afraid! You will have good eggs and bad eggs! ;)

I did mean lads in my son's troop messed up but not him!

Damo90

Reaction score
All troops will be a mixed bag I'm afraid! You will have good eggs and bad eggs! ;)

I did mean lads in my son's troop messed up but not him!
That's a bit annoying! Is your son still in training now or has he passed out ? either way I wish you all the very best and hope everything's well for him. No doubt I'll be bumping into him sooner or later.

MumtoRM

Reaction score
That's a bit annoying! Is your son still in training now or has he passed out ? either way I wish you all the very best and hope everything's well for him. No doubt I'll be bumping into him sooner or later.
My son passed out last October with the now (nearly) famous 180 Troop as featured on Royal Marines Commando School!! Hence my Avatar and signature! ;)

:)

Damo90

Reaction score
My son passed out last October with the now (nearly) famous 180 Troop as featured on Royal Marines Commando School!! Hence my Avatar and signature! ;)

:)
I watched all the episodes of that. Bet your 1 proud mum then :) I got the feeling that programme shown us a lot but maybe hidden a few bits and bobs. which one is your son if you dont mind me asking ?

MumtoRM

Reaction score
I watched all the episodes of that. Bet your 1 proud mum then :) I got the feeling that programme shown us a lot but maybe hidden a few bits and bobs. which one is your son if you dont mind me asking ?
Can't reveal that I'm afraid @Damo90 but he isn't Bond!! ;)

RT was a lot tougher than portrayed!

Damo90

Reaction score
That's fair enough @MumtoRM . I see you had to get that out there. haha.
Yes I've heard a lot about training and when I was watching Commando School I always thought There's more to it (even though it was tough what they shown us).

A quick question if you don't mind: Did your son get his time off e.g Xmas leave and summer leave etc during training. ?

MumtoRM

Reaction score
That's fair enough @MumtoRM . I see you had to get that out there. haha.
Yes I've heard a lot about training and when I was watching Commando School I always thought There's more to it (even though it was tough what they shown us).

A quick question if you don't mind: Did your son get his time off e.g Xmas leave and summer leave etc during training. ?
He got 2 weeks Easter Leave and 3 weeks summer.