do you get to travel much as a RM?

alphamale

Reaction score
sorry for the random question lads,
but a small group of my friends (we are all early 20s) are seriously considering just packing up and traveling the world, they are talking bout 3, 5 or even 10 years... i cant help feeling that i might be missing out on somthing...

one of the MAJOR reasons i want to join the RM is the chances to travel and see new places and people... anyone got any advice here as im sure you guys have had "decisions" like this to be made

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
well form what i know you do a lot of travelling. a few weeks away and stuff. but im very much hoping your not just joining to travel the world.
i would say joining the marines is a good thing (obviously) when it comes to travell, simply because you get to go places, see things, and do things that hardly anyone else in the world gets to do, and even better still.. you get paid for it.
buts it maybe not as much travelling as you would like though.

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
You can also look at the fact that you will get alot of leave each year plus you will have a pretty much disposable income if you don't have anyone that is dependant on your salary so you could see different parts of the world as a holiday rather than a working holiday.

But yeah don't join the Marines just to go travelling, join the Royal Marines to be a Royal Marine Commando

alphamale

Reaction score
cheers guys, thanks for the replying,
i wouldnt be joining for the traveling at all, its been somthing in my blood for along time...i just have my doubts because of my swimming ability,not a strong swimmer at ALL, probably, average or below average in fact. and i have this mind set that swimmings somthing your either good at or not" stupid mind set i know....

so the only reason i was considering traveling was 1) the oppurtunity has presented itself, and 2) the possibility that the swimming test might be a fail for me

Gtlaau

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
mate if your are worried about swimming

take a look at total immersion by terry o'lachlan(spelling)
HE has a book and a whole bunch of dvd that will teach you how to swim the easy way. not that i would promote pyrracy :) but i am sure you can find it online.

My local library has the book down here in devon. and i think you can buy the dvd off amazon.

Basically that take all the bs out of learning and teach you a fast track way to be "drown proof" so to speak :)

I beleive there is a dvd happy laps and then you want to get the dvd that teaches for strokes . you should practice the freestyle and the breaststoke ones.

Hope that helps.

There is no such thing as a *text deleted**text deleted* swimmer or a bad student. just *text deleted**text deleted* techniques and *text deleted**text deleted* teachers.

Tom

Gtlaau

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I hope you like what i gave you to check out.

will

Reaction score
you will be traveling t ganners and back but *text deleted* get *text deleted* hopes up about travelling the world lads it depends which branch you join ect

Josh

Reaction score
you could be goin norway, ganners, iraq, hong kong, canada

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
you could be goin norway, ganners, iraq, hong kong, canada
More likely Belize rather than Hong Kong, but yes foreign travel is highly likely particularly if you elect to join one of the ship-borne Assault Squadrons serving with the Grey Funnel Line Cruise Company (aka Royal Navy).