Do you rate spin classes?

Taz6804

Reaction score
I put Spin class in the search and nor a lot came up. Anyone hear do any spin class? How is it, is it worth it and a good form of training?

Kangarooj

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t do them but that’s just because I like training outdoors
I suppose spinning classes are good for training VO2 max and lactate thresholds which are useful for the high intensity aspects of the bleep test and BFT
If you do the sessions long enough I bet they’re a bloody good fat burner as well

Seags98

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
When I hear spin classes I think of middle aged women in Lycra but on paper it seems a decent session.

Nod1201

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I did some spin classes some good some bad depends on the instructor

westy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I done one once, opposite a fit girl, by the end of the session I was a sweaty snotty mess and never went back!!

westy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
And as for the spin session?? :D

Haha I actually quite enjoyed it!! I just struggled to book the classes around work and that’s the reason I never done another

Chelonian

Reaction score
When I hear spin classes I think of middle aged women in Lycra...

Not always a negative. :)

I understand that some gyms have sophisticated machines which permit one to measure heart rate and several other performance metrics which might be comparable to Strava data so performance can be measured. Arguably the biggest attraction is the low impact CV benefit.

Spinning and cycling—along with swimming—arguably offer low impact opportunities to mix up a training regime. But perhaps shouldn't be seen as a way to opt out of putting on one's running shoes and getting out on the road.

German track sprint cyclist Robert Förstemann is clearly not a stranger to spinning:

Forstermann_3.jpg

Seags98

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Not always a negative. :)

I understand that some gyms have sophisticated machines which permit one to measure heart rate and several other performance metrics which might be comparable to Strava data so performance can be measured. Arguably the biggest attraction is the low impact CV benefit.

Spinning and cycling—along with swimming—arguably offer low impact opportunities to mix up a training regime. But perhaps shouldn't be seen as a way to opt out of putting on one's running shoes and getting out on the road.

German track sprint cyclist Robert Förstemann is clearly not a stranger to spinning:

Forstermann_3.jpg

I’m not doubting that it’s a good workout, I’ve seen mega fit lads go into to a spin class and come out absolutely threaders. It is a good high intensity session if done properly and not half @rsed. Thats just the image that always pops into my head whenever I hear it.

As a side note- I bet he struggles shopping for trousers:D

Chelonian

Reaction score
As a side note- I bet he struggles shopping for trousers:D

True. I can't help thinking that a 'Twitter storm' would have developed if Mr Förstemann had been depicted pointing in a similarly amusing manner at the woman's breasts. :)