Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Do you really need a gym to get fit?

Discussion in 'Training Plans and Diet Suggestions' started by Blackburner1875, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Blackburner1875

Blackburner1875 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hey guys,
    Im just asking for the opinion of whether it's better to have a gym or is it possibe to get fit and strong with out one I'm doing basic press-up and stuff at the minute but there always seems to be the impression that you get pushed or given the idea that the only way to get strong is to use barbells and dumbells. I know that RM fitness is mostly body weight focused but on the RM website the plan on there includes some weighted exercises.

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

There are others far better qualified than I to offer phys advice but a gym membership is not a mandatory requirement.

As stated, functional bodyweight competence is the goal. And running. Lots of running. :) Mixing up sprints with timed longer runs and lots of hill work.

Nothing wrong with using a gym as a part of a training regime but don't be deceived into thinking that it is the key element.

If you haven't yet seen it, take a squiz at this:

https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/fitness-help.104425/#post-623515

3. Blackburner1875

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Great thanks heard of this famous plan.

4. blacky

blacky Valuable Contributor

I work as physical training instructor for a large government organisation and I can say without doubt you can get fit without a gym.

I recommend you train in the environment you are preparing for as a potential nod you will spend lots of time outdoors so best to train there and get used to it.

It can be difficult to undertake a hypertrophy phase (gain muscle) without weights however it is not impossible plus unless under weight you don’t want to be carrying extra kg in training anyway.

If you need any help let me know - more than happy to help.

5. Blackburner1875

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I'm quite a big guy anyways so I'm mostly looking at cutting down and I feel if I do try a weighted programme Im worried I may get heavy if that doesn't sound to stupid.

6. blacky

Best to ditch the weights then and focus on running (10% weekly increase ) and body weight exercise.

Also if you are looking to lose weight look at what your basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is and total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) . This will give you how many calories you need to maintain your weight. Once you have these take 500 calories off so you are in a calorie deficit and this will help you lose weight. Don’t reduce by anymore than 500 calories as you will have no energy to train then.

7. Blackburner1875

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    OK thank you if I wasn't a good runner and wanted to start out would c25k be a good one or do you think it would be too easy or not strenuous enough?

8. blacky

C25K is a very good programme for people looking to get active again however it starts off very slow as you jog 1 minute and walk 1 minute 30 seconds.

It really depends on what you can currently do.

Are you currently able to jog/run 5k? If so I wouldn’t recommend it.

If you can run 5k my advice would be
    Run 3-4 times per week

Each session should begging 1k warm up starting off at walking pace and increase to jogging pace. Follow the opposite for cool down

Run 1 - 5k run looking to better time
    week
    Run 2 - 800m intervals
    Run 3 - Hill runs (200-300m)
    Run 4 -slow steady state run building mileage up each week

Every 3-4 weeks I would then replace the 5k with a pjft

even in week 1 if you only do 2 reps of 800m then week 2 you could do 3 reps then in week 3 increase the speed of the 3 reps etc.

9. Blackburner1875

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I can run a good 2 miles at the minute but very slowly if I am honest. But thank you mate. Last question how should I begin with like bodyweight exercises. Ive seen a gainers method on here but if you have any advice on that. That would be great but thank you for all your advice. I'm new on here and I'm in the later years unfortunately and I am a bit of a beginner when it comes to like preparing for military style fitness.

10. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

@Blackburner1875

It’s difficult to offer nutritional advice because everyone is different so I’ll make some general observations.

Running performance will improve with diligent training. Put the miles in and it will come. :)

To reduce body weight a calorie deficit is required. Aside from mental self-discipline, simple arithmetic and patience a reducing diet should be sustainable if it is to be effective.
    About 1 kg per week is considered by some to be reasonable target loss for a generally healthy person. The expectation of rapid weight loss disappoints many. Any initial weight loss is likely to be from excess fat surrounding visceral organs so don't expect a quick, visible improvement. This is not bad news because visceral fat is the ‘unhealthiest’ fat anyone carries.

Weigh yourself; embark on your new regime and don’t step onto the scales again until one month has passed. The noticeable change will boost your confidence.
    Best of luck. Let us know how you get on.

11. blacky

If you can run 2 miles already this is what I would do

Run 1 - Run 4K - slow pace jog add 0.5.km week
    Run 2 - 3 x 600m run (quite fast) increase reps one week then increase speed the 2nd week
    Run 3 - Hill Runs 5x 200m and increase by 1 every 2 weeks
    Run 4 - 1.5km warm up gentle jog/walk then run 1.5km - do not worry how long this takes just go as fast as you can and try to improve time each week

my advice on body weight exercises is firstly losing kgs always helps if overweight . Secondly gainers is very good as it builds up gradually . Consistency is key to any successful programme.

no problem anything you need just ask.

12. Blackburner1875

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thank you mate i actually thought this forum would be more judging but no thank you for the advice.

13. Blackburner1875

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thank you... For the Hill runs I have quite a steep concrete path hill sort of. Would this be an OK hill just wondering what with it being hard hitting maybe.

14. blacky

Yes it should be no problem just make sure you warm Up and cool down appropriately. Do not feel the need to sprint these at the beginning - gradually build everything up

15. Aerial

Aerial Member

Everyone has to start somewhere mate, and people on this forum are happy to offer help and advice. You’re in the right place.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  16. Blackburner1875

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yeah thanks mate. Its a great forum.