Do you want to be a Bootneck?

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by Bootra, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Bootra

Bootra Royal Marines Commando

Having been on the site for a while now I think it's an excellent tool to help lads prepare for life as a Royal Marine. However at the same time the massive amount of information seems to be confusing some lads. Just a few things for people to think about;
    Do you want to be a Royal Marine, or a bodybuilder, endurance athlete, or something else? I can understand lads using the site to glean information for all these things (and more), but if you want to be a Bootneck, doesn't it make sense to train to be one? Why do you feel the need to be squatting with heavy weights twice a week instead of running 3 or 4 times? Why are wasting energy trying to develop your rear delts?!! Is it sensible to be running 15 miles at a time when you can't do more than 25 press ups? Why do you feel the need to be as big as possible, and bench press 150kgs?!
    Obviously everyone responds to physical exercise differently, but one things for sure, there is no quick or easy way to get results. It seems that lots of lads are looking for the magic formula, and there isn't one. All you need is a simple effective programme. It will be different than any one else's, so there will be experimentation and tweaks along the way. But here's a fact, most people will respond with a good phys session, followed by resting and feeding the muscles used.
    The only time I train legs is as part of a circuit. Why do I need to squat when I run 3 times a week? I don't need to be standing up and down with 300lbs across my shoulders, when for my job I need to be running and yomp fit. In order to do those things I run, and yomp. It's simple really!
    I agree that chucking in some bench presses, pull downs (if you can't do pull-ups yet), deadlifts, and core work can be of benefit in building the strength you need. But to get into the Corps you need to be strong at press ups, sit ups, and pull ups. Body weight exercises. So those are the exercises you need to concentrate on. If you are at least a few kgs over 65 why worry about packing on more size and getting heavier?
    Concentrate on passing the criteria tests. 1.5 mile return and gym tests. Then some endurance work on top to make a good showing on the EC and bottom field.
    It may have been a long time since I did my PRC, but it really wasn't too much different than today's PRMC. We didn't have the Internet, we just went out and ran, and built strength related to the gym tests.
    Lastly, use this site as the great source of information that it is, but do not get hung up on what I, or anyone else is saying. If you push too hard you will get injured! Train smart, and the gains will come.

• Like x 50
    • Hoofin x 16
    • Gen Dit x 9
    • Winner x 6
    • Gucci Info x 3
  2. "freddie"

"freddie" Former Royal Marines SNCO.

Good words old chap.

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  3. older gent

older gent Member

Sound advice, I've noticed for too long lads getting obsessed with being able to lift and run like their training for the Olympics. Too much YouTube overload...that's the problem with this PlayStation generation!

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  4. mati120

mati120 Member

I think a lot of lads do get confused with the information overload on here with training. It doesn't have to be as complicated as what some people try to make out.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Gos85

Gos85 Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    True. They need to streamline their regimes to focus on PRMC/PJFT

requirements. Nothing wrong with bench pressing to get a stronger chest but it's not a press up. Get good a press ups by doing press up. I also think they put their proverbial beret on ie "to be a Royal I have to train like a Royal" (not referring to The Commando state of mind, but by the manner in the type of training they think they have to undertake).when in actual fact thats not the case? When all that's being asked of a potential recruit is a solid foundation, no more or less. Correct me if I'm wrong or if you have an opposing opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

I'm split on the subject if I'm honest.

Before joining the Corps' I followed a body weight only regime, along with a few runs and cycles thrown in for good measure. It got me to the required standard to begin recruit training. It wasn't until I was in RT that I found myself moving hunks of metal around the gym during IMFS gym sessions.

Having completed recruit training and having garnered a greater understanding of physical fitness, I would say the following;

By all means, continue with squatting & dead lifting. They are phenomenal exercises utilizing a vast range of muscles, the core especially, which means I cannot dismiss them from my training these days.
    I still don't lift large, as there is no requirement to. Admittedly, they are the only weighted exercises I do because I find my lower body surprisingly difficult to fatigue. That said, I push towards an endurance centric regime far off my 1 rep max as it isn't applicable to our day to day job.

As @Bootra alluded to, yomping is our game. So it is with this in mind that I include the squat/ dead lift. It's not that I train for an Olympic goal, it is that I am just training smart. I would consider myself a decent yomper and a surprisingly good runner despite my gut, yet I rarely run any distance, it's all intervals and I rarely put a bergan on unless required. I put that down to simple gym circuits combined with a SIMPLE weight routine. No super sets, no split sets, no specific muscle groups, no isolation exercises. Just pure and simple compound movements, mixed with bodyweight exercises and the odd run if I'm feeling guilty.

Moral of the story? KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID.

• Like Like x 18
  7. DD

DD Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Could we make this thread a sticky?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

My bold. Bootra and Illustrious have both clearly articulated what is most relevant for pre-PRMC training. I'll throw my tuppence into the mix about the importance of core training. Back in the day, nobody was interested in core strength conditioning. I ignored specifically exercising deep core muscles even though most are simple body weight exercises which can be incorporated into a warm-up routine.

As an old fud that still runs and climbs I now need to address core training to reduce injuries. Core training is the basis which supports almost every other exercise activity.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  9. Rg_

Rg_ Member

Exactly the reason i dropped the weights completely. I used to solemnly weight train before wanting to join. I believe it gave me a good foundation of strength and fitness though. But now why would i waste a session bicep curling for e.g when i could be doing hill sprints or something beneficial to joining. Every session counts!

• Like Like x 3
  10. roadrunner20

roadrunner20 Royal Marines Commando

Passed prmc without single gym session and didn't think I suffered too badly, suffered from energy and bonking on last run after Endurance course.

Going into rt and keeping pre prmc routine but adding gym sessions purely to strengthen my joints and stabilise muscle weaknesses I have.

• Like Like x 7
  11. mati120

mati120 Member

There is no need to do weights(unless like you said for strengthening joints). Especially the likes of shoulders, biceps etc. If they were important they would tell you to do them. After passing prmc you just get told to do the exercises you will be doing in training (pressups, pull-up, sit-up)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando

Great advice! I look at some of the posts on training and it's like reading a foreign language! Why complicate matters? The Corps require you for PRMC to bang out press ups, sit ups and pull ups and be able to run 3 miles in a reasonable time. Added to that is Bottom Field and the EC, both of which comes down to stamina. The Corps want you to succeed and provides a training regime for you to follow, so why complicate matters.

Keep it simple, do what they want. Hill sprints, distances, simple circuits and plenty of the press, sit and pull ups will build up your fitness, which leaves only the question of "How much do you really want it?"

Alan

• Like Like x 12
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  13. "freddie"

The Corps a few good men like this anyone who can squeeze some bonking in during an organised phys sesh gets my vote!!

• Like Like x 6
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. 9010

9010 Member

App Stage:
    Passed POC
    You've got to take every chance you can get Freddie!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rob20

Rob20 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Great thread. Being a skinny lad (6ft 3 / 74kg) the temptation is always there to go on the bulk simply for aesthetical reasons. But that isn't part of my goal. Nor will it give me a better chance. As illustrious stated, I do squat with about 40kg every now and then but 90% of what I do is all bodyweight stuff. Usually gainers or the training tool circuit. If I'm ever on a treadmill session in the gym and have a bit of spare time I may do some pull downa or tricep work, something which may help with press ups or pull ups but its not a necessity.
    I've got to the stage now where I can run less than 7min miles relatively easily for 3 miles. I would never have been able to do that if I was heavier I think.
    Besides, if I dont make it in the corps I could always be a model for topman! Just like every other skinny dude. World is your oyster!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  16. "freddie"

It's refreshing to see traditions upheld. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bootra

Bootra Royal Marines Commando

As I hoped, some really good advice off the back of this one, and absolutely nothing I would disagree with.
    I'm certainly not anti weight training. In fact I much prefer hitting the weights to doing cv. I'm 5'7" and 83kgs, I'm no racing snake! I do strength training twice a week, with deadlifts and bench press my staple exercises. I do lots of core work and I do arm work, because we all want to have arms like Arnie! I believe that squatting, if done with correct form, is a superb exercise.
    But I'm not trying to pass a PRMC. As I said originally there is definitely a place for using strength training, and ancillary exercises, to get the results you need. However there are 3 exercises that you must be good at to pass. You need to make sure you can perform them as required during the gym tests. If you don't train to do them with perfect form you may well come unstuck on the day. That should be your focus.

• Like Like x 3
  18. 9010

9010 Member

App Stage:
    Passed POC
    Cheers for this post. Bit of an eye opener for me. I had been doing full weights sessions, assuming it would just "make me stronger" and that would correspond to the RMFA. But as you say, testing on 3 things, so I may as well be doing as many of those as possible before my POC

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  19. OJL

OJL Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I've been debating on myself on whether or not should i continue with weight sessions or focus more on my press ups, sit ups, pull ups and other bodyweight exercises. I do both but was not sure if I was wasting my time with weights.

Don't know if I should pack the weights in and just do more bodyweight stuff. :confused:

20. Fatboy

Fatboy Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Sounds like he will boss it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1