Do you want to be a Bootneck?

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by Bootra, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Ronny RM

Ronny RM Royal Marines Commando

Leg strength will improve your yomping. Squatting heavy weights and building strength in your legs will only benefit you when it comes to doing your larger yomps towards the end of training.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  2. Bootra

Bootra Royal Marines Commando

And in between the heavy squats you need to make sure you are getting enough runs in per week, and getting ready for IMF in the gym. That's if you are fit enough to, or have already passed PJFT and PRMC. Oh, and most importantly, making sure you stay injury free.
    If you can do all that, and more, then of course throw some squats in if you want. However, as you say, the larger yomps are nearer the end of training. Will having done all that squatting 6 months before you get there still be a benefit? Possibly. But as you know, training is progressive, they get you to the required standard.
    I never use weights for my legs and I'm still yomping around after 25 years. Personally I'd rather run than do heavy squats and risk blowing my knees. We're all different though, and what works for me isn't going to work for everyone.
    My main point though, and I'll keep banging on about it, is that you need to train sensibly, and keep the injuries at bay.

• Like Like x 4
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 3
  3. Living!

Living! Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    wise words.

4. Ronny RM

Ronny RM Royal Marines Commando

I wasn't saying you were wrong mate, not at all. I completely agree that at least 75% of training before starting RT should be CV and body weight exercises, because that it what 90% of the first 9 weeks will be. There isn't any point in going to the gym to train your biceps or to isolate your upper chest because it means nothing when your dragging yourself through gorse with your fingertips. But I really think squatting should be implemented into a training regime at some point and building that base strength in your legs will help in the long run, it doesn't just strengthen legs it brings a lot more muscles into it, including strengthening your core and as new lads starting will soon find out with 'front support place'.

I have strong legs and it has aided me with yomping. But yomping is a mental game just as much as it is physical. A good way to train for yomping is sing the same song around in your head over and over, think about mountains of scran and how much sex you're going to have when you're finished.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  5. Sacred

Sacred Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    I know i'm a little late to this thread but well said. and as others have said, keeping it simple is usually the trick. I press ups, sit ups and pull ups are more or less all up there. Just need to crack the running.

6. old-lynx-mech

old-lynx-mech Active Member

7. Viking

Viking Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    s
    sorry for the newsonse but could you PM this work out please?

• Like Like x 1
  8. KangarooPoo

KangarooPoo New Member

I've heard from different people that training with a weighted Bergen is very bad for you? Admittedly one of these people was someone from a para forum! I'm planning to start training soon and wanted to hear everyone's advice for future reference to try and keep my body in one piece.

9. AussiePom

AussiePom Member

To be perfectly honest mate i dont think there is any need for it, loads of lads on here have got through into RT without training with a bergen, the odd yomp with a weighted bergen wouldnt go amiss though

10. KangarooPoo

KangarooPoo New Member

Right, cheers exactly the reply i wanted. and thanks for the quick reply!

11. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi arny01,

I have been looking for this but cant find it, would it be possible to link it to me or if it isn't too much trouble pm it to me? It would help a lot as I'm currently training to apply.

12. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

13. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
  14. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yes I have it now,
    Thanks arny01, that exercise looks brilliant!

By the way I know its a few months late but Fair Play to your Son for passing his PRMC and Best of Luck to him in Recruit Training!!

Hopefully I wont be too far behind him!

15. Mr D

Mr D Well-Known Member

@DBenn01 , dont forget you dont go to PRMC unless you pass PJFT first, Post #6 last line,also and I really suggest searching this out using the facility at the top rhs,look for a thread called "Old mans advice" written by the OP, should be a sticky in my opinion.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  16. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Mr D going back to your previous advice to me, to take it all a step at a time, Thank you again, this'll really help me in particular as I'm neither the fittest nor am I the heaviest bodyweight-wise, I'm underweight so taking things simply as they are is great advice.
    I am getting there slowly but surely and have no doubts as to whether or not I can do it. (I must say though, I hate taking Rest days during the week, I just want to get out again :D)

Reading "Old Mans Advice", and this thread, really puts the workload into perspective and it makes it seem like the scramble to get as fighting fit and muscular as possible by any means available is unnecessary when you can simply take every part of the application process as it is and train as hard and as smartly as you can for them, and pushing it that bit more so you can take the next step.

I'll be honest the past few months or so since I really began serious training was a bit of a scramble and you see that the way I'm asking about everything, just trying to find a good routine and your advice will help me set it out I think.

"Mind" seems to be one of the most important things really, having that snap to be able to say Keep Going when you want to wrap. Running has been the biggest challenge and in fairness I've come a long way since that first day up the field not being able to go twenty metres without feeling like hell decided to move house and shack up in my body -vomit- =P

Bodyweight will be the slowest to develop as I'm well under the minimum standard, but having that time on my hands will be a great help because even though I just want to be in the middle of the PRMC and Recruit Training right now I'm well aware that any time that I have will be of benefit and I suppose the more time the better, for every aspect of training.

But I think I'm going to start pushing for the full 3 miles now instead of the 1.5 miles (fastest 1.5 miles run is 14 minutes).

Great Advice Mr D, it'll be a Brilliant help!!

17. Viking

Viking Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Before i started training i was underweight and running 800m on the treadmill at 10kph made me feel like Mo Farah, believe you can do it and dont let anyone say other wise and you will get there, it will take 100% effort every session but you will get there. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  18. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks Viking, haha I know that feeling, I remember the first time I started picking up the pace a bit I felt like I was well on the way to smashing the PRMC!! (mind you I was going about 5mph :eek:)

No any nay-sayers are just being ignored, I'm lucky enough that even though my family find it tough to understand they still help me train and show support, and that and the encouragement from you and other people on this forum is a massive confidence boost.

It seems to be well worth it though, so giving 100% wont be a problem!!

• Like Like x 2
  19. Mr D

Mr D Well-Known Member

@DBenn01 Appreciate the kind words my young friend and Happy to be of some small help,just remember "It's a marathon, NOT a sprint" the Corps isn't going anywhere soon they'll still be here when your ready,time is most definitely on your side, the post above, it's content and the way you have delivered it is testament to the fact that your head/mind is going in the right direction and that you appreciate the challenges(s) that lie ahead and there will be many, break the whole process down into small doable little challenges,set small targets for yourself and maybe reward yourself when you achieve each one,use these boards as there's loads of really good info here as you know,however dont try to be someone else,be you,and I promise, injury apart you will one day have that Green Lid on your head, that's the reward that's waiting mate.

Good luck and keep posting, asking and live by your signature in whatever you do in life not just in training that is the mysterious "State of Mind" at work. ;)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Your advice is really appreciated and I'd say anyone who gets your advice will be in good hands and your words are definitely words I'll keep in mind for a long time.

I want it a lot and it really does prove to be a daunting task and a massive challenge if the PRMC Diaries are anything to go by. As I said I'd love to be there now but I'm happy that I have the time and I'd prefer to use that time properly and be as prepared as possible, rather than go ahead and apply now just to be set back and having to wait because of lack of prep.

Setting targets seems like the best way to work through this, it's just so massive otherwise and building it all up gradually I think will help the best, my Dad tells me to take it slow and build it up and now you're telling me the same so it must be a good way to work.

Haha the way you're talking you make me want that Green Lid even more now, you make it sound like it is 100% possible and I don't doubt that it is, on the condition that if you want it to be 100% possible you must give 110% effort. That want will be translated into digging deep.

Thank you for your Encouragement, its very valuable. That quote in my signature is something my Dad always taught me, never to bow down when you're faced with hardship. I'll be honest I've been dreaming about the day I get a Green Beret for a while now but I know it'll only be handed to me if I get that far and put in every ounce of effort I can on the way to that moment.

Many Thanks again Mr D, tomorrow morning I think I know what'll be in my sights when I go run again!!

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1