Dodgy Knee

BradfordBulls

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Last week while doing HIIT I injured my knee and couldn't bend it so I decided to take last weekend off and rest it. I've been putting ice on it quite alot and eating some extra protein to make the healing go faster seen as though I go for my PRMC in 7 days. I tried to run today because I thaught it was all better but it's started to hurt again. Is there anything else that will make this knee heal any faster and is there anything to keep me active I can do while resting so my fitness levels dont go down the :flushed:? Thanks

RC

Reaction score
Last week while doing HIIT I injured my knee and couldn't bend it so I decided to take last weekend off and rest it. I've been putting ice on it quite alot and eating some extra protein to make the healing go faster seen as though I go for my PRMC in 7 days. I tried to run today because I thaught it was all better but it's started to hurt again. Is there anything else that will make this knee heal any faster and is there anything to keep me active I can do while resting so my fitness levels dont go down the :flushed:? Thanks

I don't know much about injuries, however I wouldn't worry too much about training in the next week to maintain your fitness. Ideally you should take 3-4 days rest before your PRMC anyway. So you are only loosing a few days training time which is not going to make a massive difference (unless you are an elite athlete close to your genetic potential). So my advice would be simply rest till your PRMC - allow your knee the best chance of recovery.

If you don't feel your knee is recovered fully, cancel your PRMC. There is nothing to be gained by going down to Lympstone and having to withdraw (and possible causing some long-term damage to your knee).

Have you any idea what exactly you have done your knee ? If you can be more specific you will get more accurate advice.

Anyways, good luck, hopefully your knee will be healthy come next week !

Rich.

mercurydrake

Reaction score
I don't know much about injuries, however I wouldn't worry too much about training in the next week to maintain your fitness. Ideally you should take 3-4 days rest before your PRMC anyway. So you are only loosing a few days training time which is not going to make a massive difference (unless you are an elite athlete close to your genetic potential). So my advice would be simply rest till your PRMC - allow your knee the best chance of recovery.

If you don't feel your knee is recovered fully, cancel your PRMC. There is nothing to be gained by going down to Lympstone and having to withdraw (and possible causing some long-term damage to your knee).

Have you any idea what exactly you have done your knee ? If you can be more specific you will get more accurate advice.

Anyways, good luck, hopefully your knee will be healthy come next week !

Rich.
i agree, you should rest it for 3-4 days and being close to your rest period prior to your prmc you should be fine

Gazkane

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I injured my knee playing football and like you I couldn't bend it, again like you I rested it for a week or so and thought the injury would just go away.
When I thought I was ready I went back to play football, unfortunatly as soon as i got hold of the ball my knee went again.
After medical attention and an MRI scan I found out I had ruptured my ACL resulting in me needing sergury.

Knees arn't to be f*cked around with mate, so like the advice RC gave you I would postpone your PRMC incase you do further damage which might happen. Find out exactly what type of injury you have, It could be nothing serious and I hope it is for your sake *text deleted* I know how much of a ball ache it is. But its better to be safe then sorry, you don't want to be doing your 3 miler and collapse like a bag of sh1t if your knee gives way thus putting you out action for a good 6-9 months.

However if it was me in your shoes knowing how much I want to be a marine I would just take *text deleted**text deleted* loads of ibuprofen and wouldn't tell anyone about it, but thats just me and I wouldn't advise anyone to do that.

Sorry for sounding so negative but like I said before knees arn't to be f*cked around with. Just ask my medical examiner.

As for keeping up your fitness cycling is good CV and also good for the knees.

TommyK

Reaction score
Alright mate,

I had exactly the same problem as you during the past 2-3 weeks and I was *text deleted* be on the same PRMC as you *text deleted*. I wouldn't risk going to it if you think it may be problem it's not worth waiting up to 6 months if you fail just because of that. For the first week I just took Ibuprofen (only as it's anti inflammatory) and just took it easy really - only moderate exercise on the bike at the gym and just make sure you don't do anything that requires it to bend excessively. After the first week I started to use the rowing machine as well but make sure you don't come too far forward on each row, and started to cycle for longer, faster and on higher resistances as it didn't seem to aggravate my leg.

I just started running again yesterday (did 2.5 miles at a comfortable pace) and it seemed fine although maybe a little stiffer today than it would have been before. I can't gaurantee that it will heal in the same time period (maybe longer, maybe shorter), but giving it as rest from any high-impact exercises is all mine needed to heal. Maybe buy a knee support as well, I wore one during the first week and it made it a lot more comfortable to move about on, although after it had healed a little it seemed to aggravate it *text deleted*.

My advice to you would is obviously just to make sure you rest it. Don't do any high-impact exercises, but do make sure you keep your CV up with cycling/rowing/swimming so you don't lose fitness while it heals. I would also try to change your PRMC date so not to risk failing, but only you know if you'd be able to push through it or not.

Best of luck either way mate

TommyK

Reaction score
Oh, and as Gazkane said, knees are quite a dodgy joint to injure and can cause more, and worse, long term problems if you keep on stressing it when it's injured. My family on my Mums' side has a history of dodgy knees so I have to be extra careful that I don't *text deleted**text deleted* mine up at all

BradfordBulls

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ive got an appointment with a phisio at 2 today so hopefully it'll just be a case of resting for the next week. EDIT: In reply to RC. I think i've done some ligiment damage, thats what the doctor said anyway but shes getting me to see the phisio.

dannyc

Reaction score
knees are really dodgy injuries mate, sorry, but if i was you i would reschedual my PRMC, maybe about 3 weeks later if your allowed

go to your doctor and find out whats wrong, if its ligament or tendon damage your making worse by running on it.

Gazkane

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
How did you injure your knee?

The most common type of ligament injury result from twisting or pivoting awkwardly. Thats how I did my ACL (Anterior Crucriate Ligament), my whole body turned about 120 degrees from a standing postion while my left foot remained rooted to the ground because of my football studs.

If you have done ligament damage it will most likely be an ACL or the medial ligament. If it is a medial than sergury is unlikely and with correct physio you should be back running in no time however if it is an ACL than 90% of the time sergury is required.

Just call me Dr Gazkane

dannyc

Reaction score

The most common type of ligament injury result from twisting or pivoting awkwardly. Thats how I did my ACL (Anterior Crucriate Ligament), my whole body turned about 120 degrees from a standing postion while my left foot remained rooted to the ground because of my football studs.

If you have done ligament damage it will most likely be an ACL or the medial ligament. If it is a medial than sergury is unlikely and with correct physio you should be back running in no time however if it is an ACL than 90% of the time sergury is required.

Just call me Dr Gazkane

sounds painful, ive done that quite alot playing football, hurts like *text deleted**text deleted*, never twisted 120 degrees tho

TommyK

Reaction score

Just call me Dr Gazkane

sounds *text deleted**text deleted*ING painful. Never done anything quite as bad as that, although I did dislocate my knee once which needless to say hurt a fair bit

Gazkane

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
mate the pain was unreal, i was wriggling around frantically on the floor. My knee swelt up to twice the size the morning after.

A week later I was playing footy again when I thought my knee was fine, I was running along with the ball when a guy came in to slide tackle me from my left side, I managed to jump over his tackle and as I landed I landed on my left leg first, all my body weight came crushing down on my injured knee and it just buckled from under me. I went down like a bag of sh1t. All there players gathered me and started accusing me of diving for a penalty, cheeky ba$tards!

BradfordBulls

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I think I twisted it while running, if i don't make this PRMC then i'll have to go to collage or something because my dad wont let me laze around the house and theres no jobs going in my area... *text deleted**text deleted* -_-

TommyK

Reaction score
Ask your Dad if you can do some work for him, like doing stuff in the garden for him or something? Anything so that your busy during the day that would also benefit him. The pain in the arse with the whole thing, and I'm sure it's the same with you, is that I haven't had an injury since I started training (sometime in Feb) yet I manage to get one weeks before my PRMC. I know it's because of the high-intensity training but it's still *text deleted**text deleted*ing annoying *text deleted*

BradfordBulls

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I went to the phisio and he said my knee is under too much strain and ive got to rest it for now untill the PRMC, thinking wether I should go or not..

emerson88

Reaction score
where abouts in the knee are we talking here? Last night circuit training i did my knee in, as i went to stretch down at the end my knee cracked and clicked and just gave way. Now it's immense pain in the ligaments at the back of my knee when i bend it. I got PRMC in few weeks and cannot afford to miss out on any training! do you think ive just pulled something?

TommyK

Reaction score
where abouts in the knee are we talking here? Last night circuit training i did my knee in, as i went to stretch down at the end my knee cracked and clicked and just gave way. Now it's immense pain in the ligaments at the back of my knee when i bend it. I got PRMC in few weeks and cannot afford to miss out on any training! do you think ive just pulled something?

First of all that sounds unbelieveably painful. Given that you are in a lot of pain, and that it gave way on you I wouldn't try and attempt your PRMC mate (just because 6 months is such a long time to wait if you fail). Sorry I haven't got any advice on what you might of done to it, but I know knees are a bad part of your body to injure and from what you said it will probably take longer than a few weeks to get completely back to normal.

emerson88

Reaction score
ok, cheers for reply mate. The only thing is rest i suppose and see what happens, i dont want to postpone it just yet, incase it does heal soon (i know im probably being too optimistic here!!)