DOES AGE MATTER???

JoePRMC

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Alryt everyone, I've got my PRMC on November 20th and i was just wondering whether being 16 years old might hold me back??? What do you all think?? Thanks Alot... Joe

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
No Probs

There were a fair number of guys who were 16 when I went through basic training and it made no odds to them.

If you've got the guts, strength & determination to succeed, being 16, 18, 29 or whatever won't stop you.

Cheers

Steve :D

stevo

Reaction score
i dont think it will u will have to show them the yonger the fitter and more drive haha

Ulick

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Be mature, I know silly thing, but just stay calm don't act like a teenager, listen well follow instructions show them what you got......basically man up :wink:

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Some good advice already Joe.

From my experience people under the age of twenty (through no fault of their own, I hasten to add) have not finished physically growing. In fact many put on a growth spurt when they start training.

The weaker areas for the younger lads tends to be primarily upper body strength (Press-ups & Pull-ups) so you do need to develop this area in particular before you go. Remembering to take rest days, one per week, you should be practicing each day in this area, building up through repetitions each morning & evening . If you are light framed, pull-ups should come OK, press-ups, particularly close-arm ones can be a problem for younger applicants.

Make sure you push the distance of your regular runs out to 5 miles, at least twice, ideally 3 times per week- completing the first 3 miles in under 22 mins 30 secs. Younger lads tend to be better at sprinting rather than distance. Layer your exercises too (ie press-ups after each swim, etc.,).

Good luck Joe!

Phoenix

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Nice set of medals Ninja_Stoker what web site did you buy them from :*text deleted*: :P :*text deleted*: :P nah Im only kidding thats a testoment to 26yrs of blood sweat and tears no doubt *text deleted*

Do you mind if I ask what they are for when you got them etc please?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Oh dear, now you've started me....

Viewed left to right:

South Atlantic Medal 1982, HMS Argonaut & Falklands Bomb Disposal
1962 GSM & Gulf Clasp, HMS Boxer 1984-1988 (Iran/Iraq War)
Nato Medal (Bosnia) HMS Illustrious 1994ish
HM The Boss Golden Jubilee gong (2003)
Long Service Medal - 15 years service/undetected crime (1996)

Phoenix

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Impressive, thanks for the info Ninja_Stocker :) I read that wikipedia link about the Argonaut. Am I correct in assuming you were on it when the two aircraft attacked it and the two bombs hit it?? If so how did you cope and feel? Did you find your training kicked in and you just thought *text deleted* it Ive got a job to do lets do it or what?

Im sorry for asking so many questions, i mentioned in the Good Read post in the Jollies bar section that I like to find out about other peoples military careers and experiences and of course life in general. It interests me and I usually find lots of valuable lessons that I can take with me through my life and hopefully my military career.

Ive just read that Falklands bomb disposal link certainly an eye opener I think I read somewhere that nine weeks after you passed out you were on your way to the Falklands. I guess reading that bomb disposal link kinda lets me no how you kind of felt and coped(Unless your Tony Groom then I know how you felt), if i had a hat Id certainly take it off to you! The navy certainly did not have a fun time during the Falklands thats for sure.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
No problem, it's just one of those things, everyone was very scared - 7 days sat on a UXB kind of makes you a bit twitchy, especially when it's laying in a magazine (explosive store-room) flooded in diesel which then catches fire. If nothing else, it keeps you "regular".

Having said all that, I take my hat off to the Royal Marines that flew on the Apache Helicopter Rescue in Afghanistan earlier this year. I still can't believe the 3 Army co-pilots got DFCs, the 3 Army pilots & Royal Engineer (Commando trained) who flew on the outside each got Military Crosses- The 3 Royal Marine Commandos got nothing, not even a mention in dispatches.

(One of the young Marines was one of my candidates, who only joined 18 months beforehand.)

Phoenix

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks again for the reply glad you survived :-D , I wonder why the RM's got nothing id sure hate to think it was an admin as in the paper work was lost. Ever thought about writting a book NS?

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ninja_Stoker said:
No problem, it's just one of those things, everyone was very scared - 7 days sat on a UXB kind of makes you a bit twitchy, especially when it's laying in a magazine (explosive store-room) flooded in diesel which then catches fire. If nothing else, it keeps you "regular".

Having said all that, I take my hat off to the Royal Marines that flew on the Apache Helicopter Rescue in Afghanistan earlier this year. I still can't believe the 3 Army co-pilots got DFCs, the 3 Army pilots & Royal Engineer (Commando trained) who flew on the outside each got Military Crosses- The 3 Royal Marine Commandos got nothing, not even a mention in dispatches.

(One of the young Marines was one of my candidates, who only joined 18 months beforehand.)

i heard the marines declined medals and a mention...due to the fact they said..."its what we do"

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Not that I'm aware of. I did hear a RM WO2 state that if they awarded medals everytime a Commando "did their job" then they'd be bogged down by paperwork.

I suspect that although there were multiple brave acts in Afghanistan, only some got recognition in a similar vein to UKSF bravery awards, which seem to only be awarded in extreme circumstances.

It's a great shame as it actually devalues the medals that actually were awarded to the Army guys on the same mission "IF" the Royal Marines didn't feel it worthy of recognition. Either way it leaves a bitter taste as I fail to see why one guy on the outside (Captain, Royal Engineers) of the helicopter gets awarded & the other 3 don't because they are Royal Marines.

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
they were on the flippin wings!!

i think they had the raw end of the deal....

it was amazing to look at....stunning bravery

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
alan wilson said:
....stunning bravery

You are absolutely correct, not just the Royal Marines, all involved equally.

Anyway, my apologies guys, we've digressed a tad on this thread- blummin' outrageous- 20 close-arm press-ups please, to all, upon first reading this & get back on track.

Stop letting me spin my war dits!

Phoenix

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* Ninja_Stoker if i do a hundred will you tell us more :-D I could make a new thread if ya like :-D

New Threads