does any1 else get criticism 4 wanting to join marines?

akerfish

In RT
Reaction score
i hate it when people always make stupid comments when they ask why im training so much. i tell them im joining the marines and they say things like. why, what is there to fight for? and why do you want to do something like that. whats wrong with a normal job? are you mental? are you a war junky? etc. i just dont understand why they can be so arrogant about it. why dont they see the reason why we want to do it. they just dont seem to have the right 'state of mind' that i have been brought up with. i cant understand them. they are so lazy, arrogant and pathetic. they criticize me on something they dont have a clue about. i cant wait to get to the marines and be around the same sort of people as me, that think the same way, all have the same goal. the same 'state of mind'. any1 feel the same way?

MT6690

Reaction score
i know what *text deleted* talken bout *text deleted*, most people are supportive but u do get the odd *text deleted**text deleted* giving it a bit...i personally think its jelousy, the fact, as yu said, they havent got the rite "state of mind". dont worry bout em *text deleted*. they aint *text deleted* do *text deleted**text deleted* or stop you. next time som1 asks you why, tell them ehy u *text deleted* join and if theyre gobby, *text deleted**text deleted*ing nut the *text deleted**text deleted** *text deleted* oj, dont because ul get arrested and wont be aloud in *text deleted*.

MT

:racer:

Jas

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I've had a few people like that who throughly quiz you about why your doing all this. My life and I want to make the most of it.

MAXPAIN

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
My neighbor gave me grief the other month after she found out I was joining, she's African by the way which made it even worse, a foreigner giving me mouth about joining my countries forces? so any way she was telling me all this bull that because prince harry or is it william went to afghan that all these teenagers are joining up to copy him. I was like 'shut up' 'im joining to shoot guns and kill people' you should of seen the look on her face *text deleted* priceless

roguesniper

Reaction score
dont worry mate i get criticism all the time mainly from the other half, who doesnt want me to go and feels she has to tell me every two seconds *text deleted* (i'm going anyway!). a few of my mates tell me that i am being stupid and if i want to get killed i should just run infrount of a car. but the reason is their all jealous! They dont have the determination or the state of mind to go and do this.

However there is just friendly banter aswell, i get this every day from navy bods!

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
They wont be giving you stick when they see the size of you when you come back on a 2 week break!.. And when you have the green beret!.. I think they will be proud of you then mate!..

Trust me!..

D

Deleted

I get similar stuff aswell, but it's more like people taking the p*text deleted** going "he wants to joing the MARINES". Although I was stunned when I was talking to one of my friends (wants to be an officer in the Army), and he said "I looked at the Marines, it's something I'd really like to do, but I'd never be able to hack it". It's little things like that which make me realise who my friends are, because he never joked about it, he just gave his straightforward, honest opinion.

Taylor

Reaction score
Yer i often get bewildered looks when i say im joining the marines.
All my mates are supportive, its just when u meet new people.
They seem to expect you to be 6 foot +, and built like a tank.

Pah, I'll show em :)

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
The criticism I seem to get from a lot of my mates is that i'm taking "the easy way out" - versus going to uni, getting an English degree that isn't worth much, getting a job that doesen't matter if I do or not. Even now they can't understand why I'm working a *text deleted**text deleted*ty job (cleaning) for only 18 hours a week so I've got plenty of time to train. I can't afford the latest phone, the fashionable clothes, oh no! They don't understand that I don't care about any of that stuff. My current state of mind is that if I can go to Afghanistan, and make one child's life better and safer at the cost of my own, I'd die much happier at 21 than if I lived to be 90 after a normal life.

Becoming a Royal isn't the easy option... I've not even done a PJFT yet, and I know that this will be the hardest thing I've ever done, or will ever do. I will be prouder of my green beret than I'd be of anything.

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
The criticism I seem to get from a lot of my mates is that i'm taking "the easy way out" - versus going to uni, getting an English degree that isn't worth much, getting a job that doesen't matter if I do or not. Even now they can't understand why I'm working a *text deleted**text deleted*ty job (cleaning) for only 18 hours a week so I've got plenty of time to train. I can't afford the latest phone, the fashionable clothes, oh no! They don't understand that I don't care about any of that stuff. My current state of mind is that if I can go to Afghanistan, and make one child's life better and safer at the cost of my own, I'd die much happier at 21 than if I lived to be 90 after a normal life.

Becoming a Royal isn't the easy option... I've not even done a PJFT yet, and I know that this will be the hardest thing I've ever done, or will ever do. I will be prouder of my green beret than I'd be of anything.

So True all that buddy!.. Well said put a smile on my face!.. Really determined to earn that green beret eh mate!.. Good stuff really proud to be a on forum with lads like you!..

WELL SAID MATE!

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Yeh fair play AdmiralAwesome,
I think the same as you,
half of my mates spend all their time working so they can go out and get wasted on a friday and saturday night,
then do the same the next week.

When I tell someone I'm hoping to join the Marines I get the whole,
"you've *text deleted* be proper tall and built like a tank and have massive arms to join the Marines, you can't do it".
But I've got a mate who's joining the Royal Engineers and a brother who's training to be a fitness instructor so they're pretty supportive.

Like everyone on here has said, life is what you make it.

Joe

Taylor

Reaction score
Yer well said mate.

And anyway..

In the marines you'll always have a roof over your head, always have everything u need food etc.

Then even after these expenses you always still have money to spend :)

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
im not sticking up for all those people who critisize us, but you guys have to remember, the military just doesn't appeal to everyone. its hard for us to think why anyone would not like the idea of being in the military as we see all good about it and accept the bad.

we all just have a different way of thinking to them. think of it as, someone wants to be a manager of a supermarket, now to many of us that would seem a sad existance and one of the easiest jobs in the world and we think, whats the point in that its so cr*p and boring. but they think "why would anyone want to join the military, all that hard work, *text deleted**text deleted* pay and you put your life on the line"

i personally blame the movies for both of these opinions, simply because i look at a war film and think of the brotherhood, the achievment, the feelings, the experiance etc. and others look at it and see death, pain, destruction and depression.

and at the end of the day, someone has to do the sh*t jobs in the world *text deleted*.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Yeh I see what you mean mate,
I don't slag off anyone for saying what they want to do,
the only reason I would have a go at someone is if they have a dream to do sumat,
but can't be arsed so they never do it.

I've got a mate who's the manager of a maccies,
bit of a crap job,
but he's on a lot of money for a 19 year old,
so you know,
fair play to him.

D

Deleted

I think the people who give a lot of critisism for the person not being built like a monster are probably embarassing themselves with their own ignorance. They will be the ones who should be critisised for going into a dead end office job with no sense of thrill or excitement, something which we (if we all manage to get in) will have day to day. They don't seem to realise that it's not so much about your build it's more about what state of mind you have. Having a massive build is just something that might come with the training, not what most people go in with.

THE ISH

Reaction score
I have had a mixed bunch of reactions from many different people mainly because of my age and status,

but the way i see it is so long as i have the support of my family i couldnt give a *text deleted**text deleted* about what anybody else thinks.

i was talking to bloke the otherday and i said i was joining and he just laughed at me and said mate i think youve missed the boat there they stop taking blokes after 26, i just looked at him and said you know *text deleted**text deleted* all mate and walked off.

in my opinion this country is in *text deleted**text deleted* state nobody cares about anything anymore but themselves, what car there driving what phone they have its all materialistic bollocks.

i was out running the other day and to be fair this is the first time its happend but there was a group of chavvy *text deleted** heads walking towards me and one of them shouted whats the point mate!! i just ran towards him as if i was going to headbutt him and he *text deleted**text deleted* himself and all his little mates started laughing at him.

theres always going to be people who see things differently thats there choice the only problem is its all negative and when they try to force there opinion on me and invade my space they need to be delt with.

all though i dont think that kids today are to blame they are victims of the media.

I think Marine David Marsh RIP sums up how i feel quite nicely "quote"

He said he would of rather have lived life as a lion than lived as donkey for the rest of his life.

Drip sessh over.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Yeh pretty good post there mate,
I bet most people on here agree with it,
I know I do.

Almost went a bit fight club there,
I expected you to come out with "you're not the car you drive or how much money you have in the bank...".

Pretty good quote there,
from someone who has done it,
sums up how we all should live life.

I think you've probably get a better chance of hacking training at your age,
it might be a bit harder for you to get into shape (if your not already),
but your mental strength will probably be a lot better than kids like me as you've had a lot more life experience.

Joe

Mavrick1664

Reaction score
Yea know what *text deleted* sayin ish, just turned 25 and i get all the, "are u not *text deleted* a bit old to be goin in there" and why would u want to go to afghanistan and u could die? well, why would u want to cross the road to get to work in the mornin when u could get killed by a car, u cant live *text deleted* life thinkin what if all the time, but its just the general civvy mentality, u do meet folk who r still like yea if its what u want then go for it, everyones different! i do have one extreme effin hate tho an thats chavs, or as we call them up here, neds, young lads on the dole, not givin a toss about anyone, and especially harrassin the elderly gets on my f*text deleted**text deleted*ng wick, a lot of these old boys went thru hell to preserve our way of life, jumpin straight off the boats an seein half their oppos cut down under a hail of fire and blown to bits, still fightin on an doin the job, an now they have do deal with little pr*text deleted**s puttin fireworks thru their doors an stuff i know that prob most young ppl dont know what they went thru but even if they did i doubt it'd make a difference, jus somethin wrong with the youth of today, anyway i'm rantin away a bit here, *text deleted* go smash a chav now to feel better,haha!

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
well, why would u want to cross the road to get to work in the mornin when u could get killed by a car
*text deleted* i like that, i normally get something along the lines of
"you will get killed in there" or "there is a high chance you will die" or "you can get killed"

to which i reply "well yeah its risky and their is a chance i can die but its very slim because they aren't in a battle every minute of the day. Theres more of a chance of me dieing walking along the street"

to which they say "no there isn't dont be stupid"

my reply "well think about it you get almost a thousand chuncks of metal hurtalling past you at 30+ mph almost everyday, and all driven by people you dont know, have no clue what they have been doing befor, they could have been drinking, smoking drugs, anything"

i recon they shoud change a recruitment campaign for the miltary quoting ciggarette packets
"you could get hit by a bus tomorrow"
*text deleted* good stuff