Does it matter?

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
This question is aimed at any1 in the know, Ninja in particular:

I've just finished my 2nd yr of uni-i'm studying sports science at a former polytechnic. Would the fact that I didn't attend a 'red brick' uni or study a traditionally academic subject (e.g. history, maths etc) count against me in my officer application. I got decent A-levels and feel the rest of my academic background is good. What i'm asking is do they look particularly strongly at *text deleted* uni degree or do they focus more on things such as *text deleted* fitness, determination and overall performance at POC/AIB?

Thanks

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
To be honest, where you studied is not relevant.

I spent a few years as 2i/c at one of the Oxbridge URNUs & a good mate of mine was 2i/c at one of the URNUs located at a former "Poly" university. More of "his" students seemed to pass POC/AIB than mine during out times there.

Bear in mind that you do not require a vocational degree to join the Royal Marines (Unlike RN Engineers or Medics), but you still get a graduate starting pay if you have one. A posh accent & a butler will not make anyone more or less likely to pass POC or AIB. Frankly, I don't believe your upbringing was ever an issue with the Royal Marines, but it certainly isn't an issue today.

Pip, pip.