Does joining help you grow and progress as a person?

allardzzz

Reaction score
Hi all! I’m really considering joining up as I’m at a stage in my life where I’m fed up with what I do and really want to find a belonging and progress as a person. I like to see my self as fairly athletic and strong minded and if I really want something I tend to find a way to get it. However I do suffer with low confidence and can sometimes worry a lot but have been improving with time. Last year I got as far as passing the v-pjft and had a strong mindset. However this was when I was in the process of joining the rmr but as my job is very labour intensive and I was doing 5-10km in the early mornings before work and weight training in the evening I eventually after a few months made myself very fatigued and picked up some injuries which knocked my confidence so I withdrew my application. However now I’m looking at doing the full time option so I can dedicate all my time and energy into that without work getting in the way. Sorry for rambling on but I’m pretty much asking can someone with low confidence issues do okay in the Royal Marines? Thank you for reading my ramble!

OddPikeFromCrimsonCity.

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all! I’m really considering joining up as I’m at a stage in my life where I’m fed up with what I do and really want to find a belonging and progress as a person. I like to see my self as fairly athletic and strong minded and if I really want something I tend to find a way to get it. However I do suffer with low confidence and can sometimes worry a lot but have been improving with time. Last year I got as far as passing the v-pjft and had a strong mindset. However this was when I was in the process of joining the rmr but as my job is very labour intensive and I was doing 5-10km in the early mornings before work and weight training in the evening I eventually after a few months made myself very fatigued and picked up some injuries which knocked my confidence so I withdrew my application. However now I’m looking at doing the full time option so I can dedicate all my time and energy into that without work getting in the way. Sorry for rambling on but I’m pretty much asking can someone with low confidence issues do okay in the Royal Marines? Thank you for reading my ramble!
during training they break you down and rebuild you as a person. If you can complete 8months of the hardest training then you can pretty much do anything! So confidence wouldnt really be too much of an issue

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Confidence definitely comes. It won’t happen straight away, it might take a while but it does. Confidence is key in training and once you pass out. From the first time you mumble and stutter your way through your half remembered service number to your DL day 2 on the drill square, to introducing yourself to your first Sgt major at your first unit, I guarantee you will be a different person. I’ve never met a Royal who isn’t comfortable public speaking. And I think that speaks volumes

G_commando

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I was in the same situation as you I used to be super shy but during training i got loads more confidence even to the extent I've done quite a bit of media for the navy and rm where I never would of before.

allardzzz

Reaction score
Whats the worst that could happen? You will get fitter even in preparation, I'm not even in yet and i've already improved as a person.
That’s what I found last year when I was waiting to start the rmr before I withdraw with injuries

allardzzz

Reaction score
I was in the same situation as you I used to be super shy but during training i got loads more confidence even to the extent I've done quite a bit of media for the navy and rm where I never would of before.
Really does sound like this is just what I need to do for myself for sure, always worried I will end up in a dead end job and never achieve my full potential

allardzzz

Reaction score
Confidence definitely comes. It won’t happen straight away, it might take a while but it does. Confidence is key in training and once you pass out. From the first time you mumble and stutter your way through your half remembered service number to your DL day 2 on the drill square, to introducing yourself to your first Sgt major at your first unit, I guarantee you will be a different person. I’ve never met a Royal who isn’t comfortable public speaking. And I think that speaks volumes
Thank you, really glad I asked this now because responses like these gives me a lot confidence that this is what I need to do