does your school record matter???

lukey boy 91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
arite boys well first of all sorry for all the posted comments i put everywere, im new to the site i only joined yesterday and didnt have a clue how to use it *text deleted*. Theres alot of good comments that are very helpful to everyone, goodm to see abit of helpin out and teamwork

i just wanted to know wether your school record can get in the way of joining , ive never been expeled but ive been suspended quite alot of time mainly because i was in the wrong croud and i was just a stupid teenager showin off realy but that all stoped in year 10 and i got my head down so would this stop me from getting in the royal marines?

phycometric test - passed

interview - september

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
not really mate you have showed you have changed for the better.. u have to give school referals anyway

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It depends on how old you are. If you have only just left school then you will likely be asked for school references but if you are older you can provide work references instead. If you got your head down in year 11 your last school report should reflect this anyway.

The important thing will be to demonstrate that you have changed during your selection interview. Be honest about your past, integrity is very important in the Royal Marines. As long as the interviewer sees that you have matured and are now more responsible then you will pass (obviously as long as nothing in your past was too serious).

foss

Reaction score
no it definatey wont i was a little *text deleted**text deleted* at school i got kiked out loads of times but the careers bloke said it didnt matter.

big-jim

Reaction score
what about your attendance record? will that stop you from getting in? i took a sh*t load of days off school the last year i was there

BradfordBulls

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
In my opinion it all depends how bad your attendance was and the reasons you got suspended. If you blew out someones eye in the sciene lab because you were bored and you had 1% attendance I doubt you'd succeed in the interview. But yeah if you can prove you've turned over a new leaf then go for it!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
i just wanted to know wether your school record can get in the way of joining , ive never been expeled but ive been suspended quite alot of time mainly because i was in the wrong croud and i was just a stupid teenager showin off realy but that all stoped in year 10 and i got my head down so would this stop me from getting in the royal marines?

Generally we will write to request a school reference if you left within the last 3 years. Whilst your school record is most certainly taken into consideration, we're looking for signs of maturity & improved behaviour. Just be honest.

There's many reasons someone may be found unsuitable at interview, but it's worth emphasising that there's no such thing as a list of correct answers. The old adage: "You only get one chance to make a first impression" still apply.

Personally, you're not impressing anyone if you're late, unkempt, chewing gum or ill-prepared.

Other examples of possible grounds for an unsuccessful interview are as follows:

Insufficient determination to complete a course of training. (could
include ex-servicemen who have previously failed training)

A poor attitude to authority and the civil police and would rather
obstruct than help them to carry out their duties.

If the person is unwilling to work as indicated in poor school reports, job records
or references or if sacked from a number of jobs or has left without good
reason.

Not demonstrating the physical ability required for training.

Indifference to and no enthusiasm for his job.

Someone who has never lived away from home, has never experienced
being apart from their family and has given little thought to it.

No outside interests or activities.

Clear signs that he has failed to adapt to
changing circumstances or to cope with stress and it seems unlikely that this
has changed.

Had poor relationships with authority, May have had an extremely poor truancy record.

If likely to react adversely to Service discipline especially during
training.

Unspent offences.

Evidence of dishonesty, wilful disobedience or
law-breaking.

An ‘Undischarged’ Bankrupt.

If deliberately evasive during interview and it is felt that
information is being withheld ie: dishonest.

Contrary to what people may advise, honesty at interview is by far the best method. If someone has committed a transgression it would probably be viewed more favourably if they demonstrated remorse rather than indignation.

There's no hidden agenda, but if you're found to be economical with the truth, it is obviously not going to get you too many Brownie points.

Hopefully this will give you a very rough idea of what we seek.

The best thing to do is simply "Be yourself

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Trying to explain why I left tesco should be comical...

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Trying to explain why I left tesco should be comical...

I've *text deleted* explain why I wrote down the wrong date and ended up missing my film studies exam,
and the fact I only did one part of my coursework,
so I've definately got a U,
don't think that will go down well :doh:.

Joe

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Managers were w#nkers to sum it up, nothing to do (they over hired.. retards) so I didnt see much point in the job (I took the job for something to do, not the money).

Well I can still beat you JM!, I quit uni 5 months till the end!:uglyhammer:

Wanted a change in direction so I quit uni (after doing all the coursework.. what was i thinking?),Uni just wasnt for me at all (aside from the social haha).
Was going to apply for marines in january, then my uncle was murdered so i've stuck around for the trial... Pretty odd turn of events eh?

So essentially looking back: I could have finished uni, and been in same position that im in now, and still be able to attend the trial. Bollocks!:doh:

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Was in alot of sh*t at school myself too mate, Got kicked out a few times for mainly week long suspensions, But like you say i was also never expelled eiather just abit of a sh*t!, Used to hate the teachers alot and always used to tell them to *text deleted* off on a regular basis as they just treated me like crap for some reason, And yes before you all start saying "Oh your not going to be able to cope in the marines then, as the Corporals etc treat you like sh*t" . I've changed alot now, And left school so got my head all sorted!..

Not really been in trouble with the police so all should be ok!.

Sam

Mack15

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i had bad attendence in primary school :D *text deleted* but i was a good chap in high school.Oh ye OI OI !! rusty go on msn

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I knew a guy who 'left' Tesco after 'accidentally' taking £500 from a till!

I know a lot of people who get into trouble play the victim card, but it doesn't sit with me if your being a little *text deleted**text deleted*, most of the time they are there to help, if they do seem a bit hard at times.

But where in your last year of Uni when you quit? Isn't that a bit of a waste? All of that money on tuition and work put in...shows commitment.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
personally i left uni in first year, complete waste of time, one of the main reasons was to get in as an officer but as access courses don't count there was no reason to stay there and put up with all the sm*cktards that pass for 60% of students these days.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Well then that guy was actually a *text deleted**text deleted*...
The managers were bitchy, and just general assholes. Not going to work in a job i CHOSE to get when I didn't require it.Not playing any sort of victim card - I didnt like the job, and jack it in within the two weeks, nothing more to it.
If I was a *text deleted**text deleted* like that, I wouldn't have stayed in my old job I had before uni or be left in the role I was, responsible for a warehouse in morrisons - I was the only person there during my shift.

Left early the start of the year, and no it wasnt a waste - I got more life experiance, I moved out of the parents house and got to live some of life.
The best decision I have made in the last few years, was to quit uni.