Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Dog with IVDD

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by Faugery, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Faugery

Faugery Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Hi, sadly have been to the vets today with a cocker spaniel who suddenly (within 3 hours)starting knuckling and wobbling and has no bowel control, not peeing and paws not returning when turned over and no pain sensation on pinching. On steroids/crate rest until next weeks return appointment. Anyone else had a dog with this?

• Seen Seen x 1
  2. doggle

doggle Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Really sorry. How awful and worrying for you.
    My first thought was that it was some kind of neurological problem......has the vet not done any scans on your poor dog? I can’t believe they’ve put him on steroids and won’t see him again until next week. Can he eat and drink? If he’s not peeing that is another problem. I think he should be at the vets under observation.
    I hope you see some improvement overnight and that he’s comfortable.

3. Faugery

Faugery Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Thanks @doggle ! Vet won't do anything til next week so swelling has chance to reduce and better images. He had one shot of steroids and now on rymadryl. He is a rescue dog, badly abused so best he is at home with his brothers. He is crated as the others are very active but with trips to the garden every 3 hours for a small walk to keep his muscles active. His feet are a bit better today, less knuckling but they cross over badly at the back. However he has bladder control now and has been stretching as normal when he gets up. Keeping everything crossed for him. Vet offered us a referral to Noel Fitzpatrick but didn't support it himself.

• Seen Seen x 1
  4. doggle

doggle Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Soz...hadn’t twigged the ‘IVDD’ bit in the title...I had a read up about it on the internet.
    Really pleased he seems to be a bit better. Hope he improves lots over the next few days.
    Sounds like he struck lucky finding a loving family. Got everything crossed, too!

5. Faugery

Faugery Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Thanks @doggle, so nice to have looked into this for us, greatly appreciated. He is a bit better this morning too but still like a young animal just been born all wobbly and cute to watch!

• Like Like x 1