Don't make the same mistakes I did!

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by Hubb97, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Evening,
    I thought I'd try and give hopefulls some advice with regards to training and not making the mistakes I did which eventually resulted in me being discharged a few weeks ago. I'm still extremely ashamed about this and that somehow didn't make the most of the opportunity and being part of the roughly 5% of people who leave training due to professional failings.

I started in January and generally had an absolute mare with regards to administration, got picked up on every inspection for all sorts and never passed any kit musters, although I can genuinely say this was not due to lack of effort but more attention to detail and I believe that once you fall behind in one area it is difficult to regain and with something such as admin which in short I was somehow an absolute biff at, effecting the amount of sleep you get, ultimately effecting phys sessions and concentration in important lectures and due to this I fell behind with pretty much everything and my physical ability went completely to rats (although I was always awful at rope climbing-banghead-). For example, my BFT went from 9:10ish week 1 to 10:48 week 8. I continued scraping through until failing gym pass out at week 9. I felt like my personal administration and physical ability improved significantly during my 6 weeks in hunter, However I continually had a mare with gym pass out, firstly not being able to nail a makefast and I actually failed a 3rd time due to slipping off the pull up bar during the beam sequence. All in all I was an absolute biff with regards to pretty much every aspect of training!

I was lucky enough to be given another option instead of straight up getting discharged for 3 fails and went back to week 4 to go through everything from that point on with a new troop. However almost instantly I was getting picked up, as rightly so I was probably expected to be more squared away than the rest of the troop which I just wasn't, and I may have had a certain stigma attached due to being given more chances than anyone else probably had with the gym pass out fails. I had a pretty miserable time in this troop due to my own shortcomings but made it to gym pass out, passed it quite comfortably (somehow not too bad at rope climbing after spending almost 6 months trying to perfect it..), scraped through hunters moon, had a decent week 11 at straight point but got told in week 12 I was finally getting discharged due to being deemed unsuitable, which is completely fair enough as I'd already been given far too many chances than was usually acceptable. i'm not sure what it was with recruit training but I just didn't seem to 'get it' as much as other recruits and my only compliment was not quitting despite having such a hard time. I can return in 2 years time and I believe if I did I'd be absolutely fine, however I've already started looking at roles within the army, particularly the Royal Artillery and if I did get the opportunity to undertake an AACC this would be brilliant and if not, I may look at having another crack in a few years having gained experience from the army.

I'm still not sure why I've had an absolute mare compared to the norm but I guess I just wasn't ready, I've always lived with my parents and never had any responsibility with regards to laundry etc so my time in training was certainly an eye opener and I could have probably arrived being more prepared with regards to this, and I would advise anyone to join as fit as they can possibly be, especially with running and probably explosive leg strength, most of the lads who struggled physically seemed to struggle at the other aspects of training too, not saying that there's a correlation here but it certainly would help to be at the front end with regards to phys. I also don't want to get anyone about to enter training worried as most other lads seemed to get a much better grasp of everything better than I did. Turn up in the right place at the right time with the right equipment and you can't really go wrong.

Probably gone off on a bit of an epic but I've been on this forum a while so thought I'd try and give back a little bit with regards to my experiences and I will always hold the RM in the highest of regard. Also any questions with regards to training, at least phase 1 then let me know!
    Cheers!

• Like Like x 18
  2. Rover

Rover Moderator

Recognising where you have gone wrong is the first step in learning from our mistakes.

I say ‘our’ because we all make mistakes whilst undertaking the University of Life. One long learning curve.

Wishing you all the best on your journey.:cool:

• Like Like x 11
  3. joeyjonser

joeyjonser Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    week 4 -10 are dog sh*text deleted* and you did it twice. Hold your head up high and move on knowing some lads wrap after 4 weeks and you didnt. You know what to expect now, enjoy the army!

• Like Like x 8
  4. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Interesting read! You clearly recognise your shortcomings! And it’s very big of you to admit them on an open forum. Your experience and the manner you’ve shared them captures recruit training extremely well! The whole package is important, and if you are not developing equally in all areas, then due to the pace of training you will struggle in the other areas which you may not necessarily have difficulty with. The knock on effect is felt and eventually you end up feeling pretty rubbish and loose confidence all the way to the platform!!

The answer? If you have any glimpse of earning your green lid, which you seem to, after mentioning a desire to undertake the AACC.

Then use the skills you’ve learnt during your time at CTC, perfect them. Continue to stay fit and active! And get yourself back to CTC to finish what you started!! Never give up!!

• Like Like x 4
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 4
  5. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando

That takes a big man to come onto an open forum and lay bare your failings. Whatever happens in your future plans, take comfort from your experience and apply it to the next stage in your life.

Good luck to you, whatever path you take.

Alan

• Like Like x 11
  6. Fleet98

Fleet98 Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Ditto very thoughtful of you to help others top man. Best wishes for the future and please keep in touch to let us know how you are getting on

• Like Like x 4
  7. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Firstly, to echo the comments of others, being honest with ourselves appears to be an uncommon trait so well done for confronting it. Posting one's shortcomings here is a big help for those who are too busy 'dreaming the dream' without considering reality.

Consider keeping your options open and your fitness current and appropriate. If you want a Royal Marines career don't kid yourself into thinking that an initial Army career will make that aspiration more achievable. It can be a very convoluted path with no guarantee of success. Best of luck.

• Like Like x 5
  8. blindman3004

blindman3004 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Fair play mate, you stuck with it and did the best you can. Keep on top of your phys mate and admin, map reading etc... Nothing stopping you keeping up a routine of A4 and ironing your clothes till you get to basic training in the army! Good luck with the rest of your journey!

• Like Like x 3
  9. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Really appreciate all the comments! For now I'm probably going to try my luck with the army with the intention of joining 29 commando and if that doesn't turn out well, by the time I've done minimum service I'll be 25-26 so still plenty of time to have another crack at RT. Definitely feel like I have unfinished business at CTC nevertheless!
    Cheers.

• Like Like x 3
  10. doggle

doggle Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    All the best to you @Hubb97 . Am sure you’ll go far.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Again echoing the coments above, we wish you well wherever life takes you.

Fully agree that a shortfall in one area, even if only seemingly minor, can have a profound knock-on effect on areas that a person would otherwise be reasonably competent.

Generally once the root cause can be identified and addressed with a coping strategy, the other bits usually fall into place.

It takes bottle to admit our failings and put ourselves under scrutiny. Sometimes the actual root cause of a problem can be difficult to accurately pinpoint as it can appear trivial, unrelated and completely remote. Often it takes someone removed from the raw emotion to help identify the reason but this certainly helps highlight the fact that it isn't all to do with physical fitness.

Thank you for taking the time to revisit areas that may still be open wounds but they nevertheless help those that follow.

Best of luck, I sincerely hope you achieve your goal.

• Like Like x 8
  12. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando

The one big message that comes across the OP's first post, and should be read by everyone who has passed their PRMC, is that RT is not all about banging out the gym tests.

Myself and others are constantly reminding those who have passed PRMC to start practicing their admin; failure to do so could well mean that they'll be in the same boat as @Hubb97

Another good skill to learn prior to starting RT is basic map reading. He states that concentration drops off during important lectures and map reading is up there with them. Get the basics wrong when you are on Woodbury Common, or Dartmoor and you are in the crap, especially if it's a criteria test.

Alan

• Like Like x 2
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  13. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Takes guts, real guts in my eyes to admit you werent at the grade at the moment.

Interesting thing about artillery you will have good options from what small amount of knowledge I have of the Regiment.
    You can do Army Commando course go over to 29 I believe...OR join 16 air assualt then go through all arms do P company and join 16 air.
    Artillery depot will be a breeze in admin and phys compared to Marines youll smash it if thats how you decide.

• Like Like x 2
  14. threadpigs

threadpigs Royal Marines Commando

I reckon if you join the Army, you won’t go back to the marines and do RT over again in my opinion. Not necessarily a bad thing.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Yeah you wouldnt want go through depot again or go on training wage if you get responsabilities

16. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC