Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Don't neglect the stretching!

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by Advocado, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Advocado

Advocado Royal Marines Commando

So as I'm sure the majority of bootnecks on here will agree with, phys in the corps tends to have an awful lot of 'just stretch off in the shower lads'.

So we would crack our morning phys and after the session instead of taking that extra 10 minutes to stretch we get told to stretch off in the shower, but we never do because we're too busy having sword fights, spinning dits and getting ready for the first detail of the day.

Feeling like my body is starting to pay the price now, my knees are constantly in rag order and I've only recently started taking the time to stretch and foam roll after phys which has shown some improvement.

I was hoping lads on the forum could share their stretching routines and/or any online yoga routines they use in the same way that lads share their last workouts and training routines.

This way it just keeps it easy for other lads on the forum to poach each other's ideas when it comes to looking after your body as well as goosing it.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

You're not wrong there. I once gave myself a grade 2 hamstring tear... whilst drying myself with a towel. Dr Feelgood remarked that he'd never seen such bruising without it being a grade 3, however I could still walk to a degree.

I didn't learn my lesson, mind. MUST STRETCH!

3. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Agreed! Always stretched before a run, but never after. Hamstrings are so short now I cannot sit crossed legged on the floor, neither can I cross one leg over another when sitting in a chair.

Plenty of pulled and torn calf muscles over the years. The physio I use in Exmouth is a former RN scab lifter from CTC. Great guy, who has patched me up numerous times over the years.

Never heard of foam rollers until I came on this forum!

Alan

4. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

A common theme!! Stretching when your young is just a ball ache, and if your feeling in the mood, maybe you’d bend over and touch your toes once or twice! Unfortunately at the young age of 43 I’m now in rag order! My hips, hamstrings and lower back muscles are like piano wires.

However I discovered a book called “Becoming a Supple Leopard” by Dr Kelly Starrett. It’s mainly based around a lot of CrossFit movements, like the Olympic lifts and addresses all bodily movements, like how to walk properly etc etc. The latter part of the book then contains all manner of stretches and foam rolling techniques to address whatever part of your body needs looking at. Possibly the best book I’ve got regarding stretching and mobility. He also has videos on YT that are quite good too.

For example.

• Like Like x 2