Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Doris Miller: US Navy aircraft carrier to honour black sailor

Discussion in 'General Military & Topical News' started by News, Jan 19, 2020.

1. News

News RSS Feed

Doris Miller won a Navy Cross for his actions during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941.

Continue reading...

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Quite an insight into how the US Navy segregated their personnel on the basis of race.

3. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

During my time in the Far East we had a fair bit of interaction with their military, especially the USN. I spent time at Subic Bay, home of whatever the Pacific Fleet was called back then and there was lots of anecdotal talk about US ships, especially the larger ones, having "no go" areas on board based on colour. How true this was, I have no idea, but less than a decade before when you had segregation throughout the US, I suspect that there was some truth in the mess deck chat.

Alan

4. Corona

Corona Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Kitty_Hawk_riot

Part of the causes of this riot was apparently due to racial incidents in the Subic Bay. Interesting read about something I never knew about.

5. Caversham

I was there the year before in 1971 and was actually attached to the USMC Shore Patrol for one night. Not happy with it, but the big advantage was that I found what bars were the best ones to go to in Olongapo City for the rest of our stay. (This was the town that was built outside of Subic Bay Naval Base, comprising of bars and discos etc).

I was involved in several scraps during the night, the most notable being pulling a black SP who was laying into an Australian matelot with his nightstick! In fact most of the incidents were with the Aussies! I ended up driving a US Chevvy meat wagon for most of the night between Olongapo and the various ships on base.

One thing for sure was that was one hell of a trip and we weren't due in Hong Kong until the following week, which was tame by comparison!

Alan

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  6. Corona

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    During your time in would you say there were a lot of race related incidents? At school we only learnt about the US civil rights journey, but taught nothing on the UKs.

7. Caversham

In the Corps? Definitely not. We had a black guy in my Troop who was one top man. Still meet up with him for a pint many decades later. Also have another good oppo, who after leaving the Corps, went back to his home country of Bermuda.

Lots of others that spring to mind and the feeling has always been, it doesn't matter what colour of skin you have, if you wear a CGB, then you've proved yourself.

Alan

• Like Like x 4
  8. Corona

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks for taking the time to answer

• Like Like x 2