Double BFT vs. 1km Intervals

Eafy

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I'm just wondering whether it would be beneficial to replace my 10k interval run (consisting of alternating 1km sprints/jogs) with a double BFT as per @arny01's plan. I'm really struggling with my cardio - my times are coming down, but not as quickly as I'd like them to be. I find that hill sprints on the treadmill aggravate my lower legs, but have no hills to sprint up in my local area...

At present, my 10k PB is 47:31 and my 13k (8 miler) is 1:04:19. If anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Bellionaire679

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I don't see why not.

The whole key for training for your PJFT/PRMC is specificity. So it would make sense to do BFT run throughs to dial down technique and pacing.

A 2x BFT to me looks a lot like tempo training. Which is a training method that is used by endurance runners. The aim of this is for them to run at nearly or exactly their race pace. If you want to get sciency it increases your Lactate Threashold (Max Level of intensity before lactic acid levels increase). Better LT means they can run at a faster pace for longer.

So in your case your "race pace" will be a speed to get a solid pass on your PJFT/BFT. So training close to that pace will increase your own LT. Making the test a lot less painful and making you quicker because you are able to work harder than where your previous LT was limiting you.

So I would reccomend doing it going of my basic knowledge. But to me training specific is vital for being succeessful in your prep towards PJFT/PRMC

Hope this helped

posh_punter

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
We had a lad in our holding troop who used to do two bleep tests back-to-back, using the lower levels as his rest period. He was hands down the fittest person in the troop by far, so this seemed to work for him.

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
We had a lad in our holding troop who used to do two bleep tests back-to-back, using the lower levels as his rest period. He was hands down the fittest person in the troop by far, so this seemed to work for him.

So he got to the end of level 21 then started again? What a machine.

posh_punter

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Ha, no, he wasn't quite that good. I think he'd get to level 14 though. Honestly, insanely fit. Maxed out all the gym tests too. Was also the oldest bloke in the troop!

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
I'm just wondering whether it would be beneficial to replace my 10k interval run (consisting of alternating 1km sprints/jogs) with a double BFT as per @arny01's plan
Yes. Do it. Aim for criteria times on both efforts.

Fibonarchie

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Their different techniques really. The interval 10k will fair you quite well on the EC but a double BFT will aid your BFT time more which sounds like your main goal right now. Try the BFT and see which helps you more but remember that cardio does take a long time to increase.

Bellionaire679

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The 30 second version of the wingate test on the wattbike does the same affect.

One of the worst things i've ever done -vomit-

Eafy

Reaction score
Cheers everyone. Looking forward to seeing my lunch for the second time!

Eafy

Reaction score
I hate you all...

Attempted my first double BFT yesterday - almost passing out at the end of the second return! -vomit-

But, I managed it! First return clocked it at 9:42 and second return at 10:24. Although I'm happy with my first return time, especially as I had never actually attempted a mock BFT previously and I definitely would not class myself as a runner, I'm disappointed by my second and refuse to class anything over a 10 minute return as a pass...

Can I say that I'm strangely looking forward to the next one...? Bring it on! :D

westy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I hate you all...

Attempted my first double BFT yesterday - almost passing out at the end of the second return! -vomit-

But, I managed it! First return clocked it at 9:42 and second return at 10:24. Although I'm happy with my first return time, especially as I had never actually attempted a mock BFT previously and I definitely would not class myself as a runner, I'm disappointed by my second and refuse to class anything over a 10 minute return as a pass...

Can I say that I'm strangely looking forward to the next one...? Bring it on! :D

You’re a sick man, I like you

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
I hate you all...

That's a great effort. Now stay consistent, I reckon next time you will knock 30 seconds off you first run.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
News Spy's double life Military News and Clips 0
H Double barrel name General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat 5
Nrfk21 Double Barrel 45's...Merica' Jollies Bar 0