1. wackojacko544

wackojacko544 Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Applied this time last year. Passed recruit tests, interview and eye test. The medical part with capita was dreadful, waited months for nothing. Decided to go for the army as a combat medic but really do regret it. Made a really stupid and rushed decision to be honest.

And I told them I had a migraine, nothing on my records, not even sure after looking at the symptoms it was one, so currently appealing it. But if it don't go through I have to wait 2 years, which is January 2019.

My fitness is a lot better now (still needs some improvements) which is where I struggled last time.

2. wackojacko544

wackojacko544 Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Go for it mate, better late than never.

3. Mattys

Mattys New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Agh that's not good not sure why you'd mention you had a migraine in the 1st place even if it even was one as you didn't even get it checked. How long after your interview was the capita phone call? So if you failed on the migraine in the marines what happened with the army side to it?

Ty just giving it ago can't do any harm really

4. wackojacko544

wackojacko544 Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    No, I failed it with the army. Never had one when in the marine application. Had it at the beginning of this year, pulled my marine application at the end of last year.

And I honestly don't know why as it weren't on my record, just thought I'd be honest and didn't think it'll be a problem.

And a couple of weeks after the interview. But a mix of my GP and capita just made my medical drag. My GP didn't help.

5. Mattys

Mattys New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Oh I see that seems very strange if you don't have an expert look at it on it wasn't on your record.
    That's like me saying I broke my leg but only because I said I broke it but no medical history really surprised that because you haven't been analysed buy a qualified doctor that it shouldn't mean anything.

If I was in your position I would go to your local doctors/gp and talk to him regarding this and ex-pain the situation and get a letter regarding there is no issues.

I had issues with my heart(low heart rate irregular beat eg) and had many check ups in my early 20s in hospital put through several tests echos sounds , ecgs , chest X-rays I wasn't given medication or anything but this is on my medical record and I had several of these check ups for 2/3 years but was told by my careers advisor that even tho there is no issue I should get an appointment with my doctor to get an up to date copy of my heart rate/rhythm and proof there is no issue so that when I get to medical I will bring these copies and have no issues then as I had severel appointments regarding it.

So maybe you should take the same line and I expect it will fast track your application as i don't see how you can be given a 2 year wait on something that hasn't been medically given only from self .

6. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

Best of luck with your application mate. For the benefit of others reading this thread:

Resist self-diagnosis. There is a considerable difference a headache and an often chronic condition such as migraine. Attending a GP's surgery and reporting a migraine may end up with the apparently harmless phrase "reported symptoms of migraine" being added to your medical notes, even if the GP has no other evidence to support such a diagnosis and does not prescribe medication for it. That comment will remain on medical notes although further notes of explanation might be added to provide context to the original comment.

The same applies to other conditions. Parents—with the best of intentions—sometimes have young children labelled as having asthma or allergies. Once the GP adds those words they can have consequences later in life.

If feeling low—perhaps following a family bereavment—particularly avoid presenting with a self-diagnosis of depression. Again, such words are casually used in conversation but are most unhelpful if inaccurately documented in medical notes.

7. wackojacko544

wackojacko544 Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Yeah. I got my GP to write me a letter and I also wrote one myself to go with it.

Never went to the GP about anything like a migraine, to be honest my medical record is pretty empty. Just had something I thought was so with integrity and honesty I told them. Regretting it heavily. But after looking in the JSP 950 it doesn't sound like it was. I told them some symptoms and she said I had a migraine, but with aura mine sounded a lot more like without after research. And doesn't sound like my symptoms meet the entire criteria.

Thank you both for the help.

• Like Like x 1
  8. wackojacko544

wackojacko544 Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Hello again,

Just after a bit of advice. When I applied for the marines last year on the medical questionnaire I had to do, I had ticked migraine because ive had 2. The first one being about 4 years ago. Because looking through my copy of my medical records there was a letter that my GP had sent to capita saying that I've never been to see him in regards to do with anything like a migraine. I don't know if I passed that because capita were just useless and know one seemed to know what was going on.

It's just I've made my mind up about wanting to join the Royal Marines again, but I don't know whether if the army defer me (if my appeal is unsuccessful) whether I can just join the Royal Marines again now or have to wait.

9. aliB

aliB Active Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    If youre joining the Army and want the dream of a Marine just join the Marines. I swapped from Marines to paras whilst injured and learnt about the paras and felt id much prefer them to the Marines. Youll regret it

10. wackojacko544

wackojacko544 Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Yeah. I've made my mind up and definitely going Royal Marines. Just want to know if my army medical appeal fails whether I'll have to wait a year and a half before I can apply again.