Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Dress Code for selection

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by hub, Mar 3, 2009.

1. hub

hub New Member

How formal

..........is the informal interview?

what is the dress code i guess is what i need to know?

2. Chicogiz

Chicogiz Member

Just go smart, then you cant go wrong.

3. stevewwfc

stevewwfc New Member

howz it going mate, you applied yet??????????????????????????

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

If it's informal, then smart casual, whatever your interpretation of "smart casual" is, will do fine. (ie: not frayed or holed jeans & a tee-shirt proclaiming "Frankie Say Relax"...or worse)

It's an interesting topic regarding dress code.

Some guys attend every stage in jacket, shirt & tie - this is by no means essential, but...

Royal Marines lead the way when it comes to being smart, other services follow their lead in this area, rest assured.

Often people will turn up for test in tee shirt & trackie bottoms, which is fine. Often a guy turning up "suited & booted" can feel overdressed, self conscious & uncomfortable, however trust me - it really does create a good impression from a recruiters' perspective - for many of us it projects the image that you "mean business" from the outset.

Obviously the Selection Interview is formal & you should dress appropriately.

Whenever a guy turns up in a suit for medical (my AFCO combines RAF & RN/RM medicals), personally I make a point of going into the waiting room & complimenting the person for making the effort - it's nearly ALWAYS the Royal Marine candidates, if anyone, that does this even though it isn't necessary & doesn't go against you in any way if you don't.

A comment to all in the waiting room along the lines of: "Well, we can see already who wants to be a Royal Marine - I wonder what the rest of you will end up being?" usually leaves a few squirming.[​IMG]

5. hub

hub New Member

:praise: thanks ninja.

I'm just going to suit and boot it from the start to keep it simple!

6. Adamos

Adamos Active Member

Yes do it, I attended everything suited. Officer or Marine, it doesn't matter. My medical is soon and I will be going shirt, shoes and trousers. A kind of smart-smart casual. I would say, never go less than that.

7. Exzes

Exzes Active Member

Good advice there.

I intended to create the right impression from the very start, so turned up to my Scitzophrenic Test on Monday wearing a pin-stripe suit, shirt, tie and a shoes. This will remain my outfit from start to finish too.

If I remember rightly, when I picked up and took my application form in, I was even wearing a suit on those occassions :S

During the customary 'if you need a wazz, come this way' I went trundling off with a few others. Had a little bit of a laugh with the WO as a pair of Army proespective lads struggled to understand 'I know it says womens, but go in anyway', and he immediately turned to me and asked if I was going for a RM Officers role despite no previous mention of my intentions. His sentiments were similar to Ninjas, most of those in suits at my tests were RM guys.

8. Pico

Pico Member

*text deleted* i went to my RT tests in a suit and everyone else was in jeans and a t- shirt felt a bit of an idiot but if everyone was in suits and i was in jeans and a t- shirt would have been a hell of a lot worse *text deleted*

9. Degsy

Degsy New Member

simple WEAR A SUIT! When i first went to talk to someone at the AFCO I was wearing a suit. I was told that I only need to wear a suit for the interview. Spoke to a guy at a PRMC briefing the other day and he said he was smart casual and was asked why he had not made an effort by dress smartly.

10. buzz88

buzz88 New Member

PRMC brief

What does this envolve? and what should i wear?
    Cheers

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Thread merged.

Dress code (s) mentioned earlier - smart casual is more than adequate.

Some AFCO's don't even have pre-PRMC briefings, those that do simply give you a brief on what to expect, travel details & answer any questions you may have.

In most cases you can expect to see the PRMC dvd to make sure it's permanently etched on your brain after the 17th viewing & have a detailed breakdown of the course itself.

12. jaym018

jaym018 Member

HAHA ive seen this DVD at least 8 times at my AFCO and i havent even had my medical yet!

Good luck with it mate

Jay

13. tjg673

tjg673 New Member

I went to my AFCO in my suit for both my initial presentation on the Navy and the Psychometric test. I was the only one there in a suit for the test, there were blokes going for the Submariners and Navy Officers, all in jeans/tracksuit bottoms and a t-shirt.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm only 17 but I still understand the need to make the best impression every time you go into the AFCO. It would take only 10 more minutes to iron a shirt and trousers and put them on.

And people were turning up 20-30 minutes late for the test, in scruffs, I'd have sent them home before they even took the test.

14. fatty

fatty New Member

it' alway's better to exceed expectations, when in the interview i was asked if i can iron so i pointed to my shirt and said 'i hope thats ok' (without being smug) at least it shows you mean bussiness, take the same approach with everything ie learn more than your told to learn, turn up 15 mins early and pick up some of the magazines and leaflets to read while you wait, shake hands when your supposed to and show respect all along the way oh and most of all dont tell any porkie's.

all stuff everyone proberly knows anyway though

15. [SoT]MBarlow

[SoT]MBarlow New Member

What to wear?

Alright lads, i've got my medical this wednesday but i'm unsure what to wear. I was planing on *text deleted**text deleted* in trackies and trainers as it is only a medical so the clothes have got to come off anyway. So i guess the real question is WHAT WOULD YOU WEAR?

16. stevewwfc

stevewwfc New Member

just a bow tie. no more no less

17. bigdan1989

bigdan1989 New Member

yer id just where trakies its only a medical i mean ya cant be judged on ya apearance there realy can ya so id sya trackies would be apropriateeasy on and off really hope * pass anyways

18. Dansusername

Dansusername Royal Marines Commando

I dressed smart for mine ie. trousers, shirt, tie just to be safe, not sure if you need to but its always better to be safe, probably not a big issue really though.
    Hope it goes well!

19. Dansusername

Dansusername Royal Marines Commando

What have people worn to PRMC briefings? Does it need to be smart?

20. [SoT]MBarlow

[SoT]MBarlow New Member

Thanks lads. Think i best make it a shirt and tie, play it safe.