Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Dress Code for selection

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by hub, Mar 3, 2009.

1. banzai

banzai Well-Known Member

Thanks, Ill get my smart gear pressed now, going in monday morning!

2. DiiGiiTAL

DiiGiiTAL Member

Sorry but I have to disagree. I have been into the A.F.C.O many times now and have been dressed very relaxed. I wouldn't worry about dressing smart. You are only popping in and enquiring and having a bit of a chit-chat with a Royal Marine or a member of the Navy at the end of the day. If anything, they have to impress you initially, not the other way around.

BUT...

Do turn up to your formal interview wearing a suit / shirt and tie. If you are still at school, I have heard that your school uniform is just as good as a suit.

3. banzai

banzai Well-Known Member

No worries with the school uniform, I'm 25! :toung:

4. DiiGiiTAL

DiiGiiTAL Member

Haha!

Sorry dude. But yeah, go casual. Be comfy. I have my aptitude test tomorrow and am I going smart? No way! I want to be as relaxed as possible. When I get to my interview, it'll be suit all the way.

5. Strick

Strick Active Member

I've got my AFCO meeting in a couple of weeks and I plan to go shirt, trousers, shoes. First impressions.

Im sure I've read on here smart from step one is going to help give over all the right impressions.

6. banzai

banzai Well-Known Member

think i will be smart casual for the initial visit but i will be wearing smart for subsequent visits.. presentations etc. no harm in treating the whole process as a job interview!

7. Strick

Strick Active Member

That's the way I look at it.

8. DiiGiiTAL

DiiGiiTAL Member

Yeah I totally see where you're all coming from, but what I'm saying is that if you are just going into the AFCO to initially enquire or doing other stuff that is NOT your formal interview it doesn't really matter.

Have you ever heard of anyone not getting into the core because they turned up in casual clothes when they simply pooped in to initially enquire?

9. Strick

Strick Active Member

Can see both sides of this. I won't be wearing the tie. Does that knock me down to casual? :toung:

10. banzai

banzai Well-Known Member

I'm not disagreeing with you digital, I would just feel more comfortable wearing something smart casual on my initial visit.

11. millward-92

millward-92 New Member

to be honest i reckon the best thing for you to do is go in as smart as possible, my afco said i have to go shirt and tie and clean shaven every time i go in even if its just a progress report or chat.

12. SHUN

SHUN Veteran Contributor

Go smart, no reason not too. The selection tests wear a suit, recruit test, medical, interview. Your CA may not remember you for it or he could and it could make the differance in your interview.

13. DiiGiiTAL

DiiGiiTAL Member

Walking in with a t-shirt saying "Give a Pongo a cuddle" is a big no no...

14. Adamos

Adamos Active Member

You say they need to attract you- They don't. They have more than enough applicants.

Go smart, always.

15. CM2010

CM2010 Royal Marines Commando

Smart casual in my opinion.

EDIT: to me SM is smart jeans with a long sleeve shirt tucked in and leather boots of some sort.

16. Gump

Gump Venerated Contributor

i wore nothing to my informal interview.

17. kinnane4

kinnane4 Member

Well technically its informal so you could dress as a pink dildo if you really wanted to- but seriously, just go smart and you cant go wrong

18. RoyalMarineCommando

RoyalMarineCommando Member

what to wear for the psycometric test?

hey guys, basically im unsure on what to wear for my psycometric test (which is next month), should i wear a suit or just turn up in casual clothes? cheers for the help :)

19. headshot

headshot Venerated Contributor

Go in a suit, makes a better first impression. And on a side note im suprised that username wasnt already taken before now.

20. Boyddie

Boyddie Well-Known Member

For My initial presentation i wore jeans, a smart tshirt, clean/smart trainers and a coat (which is quite posh looking anyway). Most people were generally quite smart but wearing casual clothes, only one guy was in joggers but he was applying for the RN.

For my Psychometric Tests, i wore smart grey trousers, white shirt, black skinny tie and black polished shoes! It was a very hot day so i left my jacket at home, didn't want to get all hot and sweaty in an exam! In total there were 6 of us sitting the tests together, me in shirt/tie/trousers, 3 in jeans/shirt and 2 in joggers. I didn't feel overdressed, in fact i just thought out of everyone there, I looked the best and I would hire myself, haha! :toung:

All other times I've been back to the AFCO I've worn the same as for my initial presentation, because they haven't been scheduled visits.

I have my medical on wednesday, I'm thinking about wearing the same Shirt/Tie/Trousers/Shoes combo to make a good impression as I think I'm going to need all the help I can get to pass it :sad2: The only thing is, my shirt is quite coarse and rubs my skin, sometimes giving me a rash, so i may be tempted to wear a shirt/jeans again :blink: