Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

DT changes transgender thread into climate debate

Discussion in 'Current & Military Affairs Discussion Forum.' started by R, Jul 31, 2017.

1. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    A really interesting point. I feel quite naive perhaps wanting this but I too would like to see a far less cynical approach by car makers to emissions testing and much more realisitc emissions testing procedures to prevent harmful gases in real world driving conditions escaping into the air we breathe. The VW group were the obvious example but ironically their latest diesel engines were actually the cleanest of all of the major makes. One of the reasons I think that other car makers didn't lodge more anti competition lawsuits at VW was because they were clearly at it too and cheating, in some other way or another. It doesn't feel very good as a consumer that they were all at it. This report makes for very interesting reading.

https://www.transportenvironment.or...09_Dieselgate_report_who_what_how_FINAL_0.pdf

We now have a situation where diesel car drivers may be punished for driving dirty cars, despite the uk government and EU both incentivising and encouraging the use of this fuel on environmental grounds, because of lower carbon dioxide emissions. Petrols and the benzene fumes they chuck out probably aren't much cleaner anyway despite the anti diesel lobby, and then Sadiq Kahn says diesel cars should be banned from London and that they are a hazard (probably very true) but then says he will go ahead and encourage a smaller cruise ship/large boat terminal on the Thames, which would be far more polluting to the environment running their dirty diesel generators than any cars or trucks in the city.

Dieslegate is just an example of how something we all thought was clean and good for the environment (relatively speaking), and that the car makers and governments reassured us was good, but ends up just massively untrue. The whole process of environmentally testing consumer products, and the politics around it, is in need of a rethink I think !

• Like Like x 1
  2. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

What scared me mate was the number of people that took their diesels to VW for them to get fixed. VW was going to turn down the performance of their cars. VW spent billions trying to get reduced emissions together with performance but couldn't, hence the cheat. Why did people suddenly think they could have both>

It was dam obvious that VW would reach emissions by turning the car's into a dead cat. Yet people went and handed over their vehicles to be put in safe mode.

Another thing that scared me is something I seen on TV a few years ago. It was on about crazy things that we used to do as a society in the past.

One was drinking radium (radioactive) at parties. You get the idea of the level of crazinbess here. Anyway, the next one that came on is that they used to put something in petrol to raise the combustion temperature so that it could get into the chamber before igniting.

Then it went through all these side effects of this with footage of it in the 1930's, pretty dam scary. Then it said this substance was lead - effing lead?????????

I remember filling my car up with leaded fuel all the way up to when it was banned in the late 90's. They kept that one quiet, then when they found a replacement, they suddenly went yep that bad. Then 20 years after they banned it, the truth started to come out. I was breathing that garbage in as a kid, forget the 30's, this was happening in the 90's. :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  3. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    The leaded petrol scenario and emissions controversies makes me wonder what other things we do today that in the future generations will be looked back on as crazy with regards to the environment and health. I guess some of the things I do now and products I use may have longer effects I am not aware of, all these chemicals and plastics bits in the sea will probably cause significant disruption over the next 50 to 100 years for food chains and things

• Like Like x 1
  4. R

R Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

Just heard a new one today, first time I have heard it used. It was on discussion on the radio and now they are focusing on.

"Rise in surface temperatures over the last decade."

Surface temperature?

Anyone here the goal posts moving again? Wonder why they felt the need to change it to "surface temperature" from just "temperatures"?

• Seen Seen x 1
  6. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

This has always been the real cause of fluctuations in my opinion - heating or cooling. People that think this thing in the sky that burns at millions of degrees, somehow sends out the same amount of energy every day and every year are delusional in the extreme. Astronomers records from the last 300 years also fit some major climate events, not CO2. CO2 rises follow recorded solar events.

Add to that the earths diminishing magnetic field and we have a lot of variables we don't understand.

• Like Like x 1