Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Dual Nationality and place of birth waivers.

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by Sotiris, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Sotiris

Sotiris Member

Sorry lads, a boring one this.

Just had my "first contact" meeting with my AFCO. A South African Captain of the Commandos.

Because I wasn't born in either of the countries I hold a passport for I have to apply for a place of birth waiver. Apparently the "powers that be" will take care of that so I'm not so bothered.

However, because I have completed my national service in Greece I need a document from the Greek government saying something like, "we relinquish all military holds on Sotiris *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted**text deleted* and he is free to serve GB". In other words, what the RM's are concerned about is that during my time as a Commando (or any part of the armed forces) I cannot be called to serve Greece...like Greece is going to war any time soon :wacko:.

This all seems so bloody tedious, and in reality more or less impossible...considering that military service and male Greek citizenship go hand in hand.

Help!??! I've called the Greek embassy here in London and no joy. So my last chance is to actually go to HQ in Athens, give my name, rank and number and beg the office bound desk jockey to write something up...I can't really see this happening (anyone who has ever had the unfortunate experience of dealing with the Greek bureaucratic system will know what I'm talking about)

So basically Ninja, have you ever dealt/heard of this before? Dual Nationals who have completed national service abroad (in Europe) and sorting all this out?

I'm hoping that if the path has already been trod then the ground should be a little flatter.

2. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

Unlucky mate, keep picking away and see what you get out of them. Any chance of getting your Greek service out of the way and then applying? Is it 2 years like most others?

3. Seedytucker

Seedytucker New Member

you could relinquish dual citizenship. it's what i did as i didn't want to get conscripted at 19 (had SA/UK citizenship)

4. Sotiris

Sotiris Member

I've done it, I completed it in my gap year back in 05. The problem is that the whole purpose of National Service is to put you on call for when your country needs you...therefore as cheesy as it sounds I'll always be a soldier of Greece. Hehe now, can you imagine me trying to denounce that? Argh I have no idea how I'm going to tell my father (for those of you that have seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding...yep...that's my dad ((minus the windex)!!

What I was wondering was if I could re-apply and simply not state my dual nationality...and just apply as British. Argh it's so annoying to think that a simple tick in one box stirrs up so much trouble.

5. Seedytucker

Seedytucker New Member

i'd have thought that'd show up on the security checks mate, not really worth the bother. if it came up later in your career you could find yourself in some real trouble
    EDIT: you could wait and hope for an EU defence force to form once all the conceited politicians have finished with their p*ssing contest...?

6. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

It would come out mate,

I didn't know the national service was training then on to a reserve status. Bit of a shame that and agreed I wouldn't remove your Greek citizenship if you have close ties.

Not sure what to suggest but best of luck with it.

7. Sotiris

Sotiris Member

Aye tis a tricky one, I'll just have to go into HQ and bow and scrape and beg and cry and bribe...mostle bribe I'm guessing but hehe in Greece, where there's a wallet, there's a way :bigsmile:.

But thanks for the support GW.

8. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

Remember the motto, "Who Pays Wins" :kult:

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

I'm sorry to say that anyone who is a dual national from a country that has national service has to provide written assurance from the "overseas" embassy that you have fulfilled your countries' national service commitment & are no longer liable under current legislation to be recalled for military service in that country.

Whilst it may appear madness, the UK government is loathe to invest loads of dib-dobs training someone who is potentially going to be extradited (at further cost) for military service or risk having an interpol arrest warrant issued on a serving marine because he's been sentenced to imprisonment for failing to mobilise when ordered.

Whilst there's many advantages in holding Dual Nationality (a third of my wife's family are dual Brit/Greek) there are also drawbacks with regard national liability - this being one of them.

10. Sotiris

Sotiris Member

Ahhhh...a glimmer of hope on the horizon!

Are you saying that I need a statement saying that I have completed all my military service and they shall not call me back to complete/continue it? In that case it's not a problem because I have completed it...done and dusted with a nice little ribbon on it too :rock:!

I was thinking along the lines that I needed a letter saying that if Greece ever went to war (ha! I don't see the Turks knocking on our doors any time soon) they couldn't call me to service..which is a completely different matter.

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Correctomondo. (As they say in the Hellenic colloquial.)

You also need them to say you are free to take up military service "overseas" (here).

12. Sotiris

Sotiris Member

Wooowooooooooooooo!

Fantastic! Then I can't see them objecting to that...in fact I think I already have a document stating that I've completed my service. Just get the Embassy to translate it and finito!

Thanks Ninja, you've made my Friday night :shakehands:.

13. MAXPAIN

MAXPAIN New Member

I'm dual citizen and I had to make sure there was no national services required of me in my other country and that was that for me.

14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

If only I had a euro for every lady that's said that to me over the last 27 years, I'd have nearly, erm, a euro.

15. Sotiris

Sotiris Member

Haha don't worry Ninja, being a one woman man is a very honourable acheivement.

16. Seedytucker

Seedytucker New Member

except that he said he'd have nearly a euro...

17. USMC 1802

USMC 1802 US Marines Officer

Sotiris,

I'm a dual national myself and am also required to provide a document from the proper governmental organization stating my 'ineligibility' for national service in my home country. As I'm not Greek, the process will most definitely be different, but here's what I had to do:

Contacted the Selective Service department (the organization with which I registered at the age of 18) and explained my circumstances. The secretary with whom I spoke was exceedingly understanding (although a little miffed as to my decision), and after taking all the requisite info, informed me that a letter would be sent as proof of my exclusion from any possible military draft. The letter arrived about a week later and seemed informal and a bit indirect ("... therefore, due to treaties, you -myself- would be exempt from any future military draft..." rather than: "Hear Ye, -insert name- is exempt from the draft. Do with him what you wish"). Thus far, I've had no problems. I have yet to undergo the security clearance, so things may possibly become bureacratic (i.e. change for the worse), but all in all, it was a lot easier than I could have hoped for. Again, not being registered with the Greek military, things will probably be a bit different, but don't stress out about it.

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck.

18. Sotiris

Sotiris Member

Hehe it appears that you have a very efficient, understanding government Weaver.

In Greece, however, your right to citizenship (for males) is based on the fact that you've served your country. Without this no man can call himself Greek. There are those that avoid it by staying abroad and I know a few of them. Alas, they live with a huge amount of regret and shame when they return to their country.

It's funny how a tradition and a way of life that has existed for 4000 years still has strong bearing on the way we live today. Thankfully though I have completed it and already have a document stating so. All I have to do now is translate it.

Thanks for your help anyways, and just out of interest, where are you from?

19. fonsy85

fonsy85 New Member

ohh, that's good news...
    I'm having quiete some troubles...i'm swiss (dual)and service is mandantory. i did recruit school and now i'm in reserve like everybody else, this means i still have to do service each year. I had quite some discussions with the bureau responsible, and that *text deleted**text deleted*head just doesn't want me to leave! The second problem i have since WWII it is forbidden for swiss to do service abroad, but there's an easy way to get around punishment. You just have to state that the main reason for leaving is to work abroad and then after a few months of working in england I could start the recruitment process..., they just don't want you to leave with the main reason being military service!! :)
    I wished I would have done civil service, but at that time I didn't know I'll be wanting to join the RM!

20. ChrisSauer

ChrisSauer New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi Sotiris i'm in a similar situation that you were in,i'm also a dual national of greece and the uk and i have to finish my madantory service in greece,and hopefully after that i can sign up for the RM,my question is did you manage to get the statement about not having to be called back into the service of greece? and if so how hard was the process?