Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

E-bikes. Any good?

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by Ninja_Stoker, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Thinking of getting an e-bike, mainly for commuting & leisure.

I always thought of them as "cheating" but talking to a bootneck recently, who needless to say has an expensive, gucci version, he reckoned he goes further, and when offroad, higher and reckons they're still good for exercise as they weigh about 10kgs more than a standard hybrid bike & encourage you to push yourself further.

Anyone got one or used one? If so, are they worthwhile?

I only cycle about 30-60 miles a week, usually commuting 10-12 miles a day, but occasionally do a 20-30 mile trip. The issue for me is it's pretty much downhill or flat on my way into work, but the return trip after a day's work always seems uphill and into the teeth of a gale.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I think that e-bikes are a good thing particularly in hilly Devon. I haven't yet been passed by an elderly nun on her e-bike as I puff up a hill but I guess that it's inevitable. :)

I've tried a friend's and liked it. Even exotic premium bike manufacturers such as Colnago and Pinarello now have e-bikes in their product range.

Someone else might have a better idea of which e-bike brands offer best performance and value. From my limited knowledge the price of an e-bike is also influenced by the supposed quality of the conventional components such as gears, brakes, etc.

As an aside, someone in my neighbourhood has a 50cc single cylinder engine attached to his mountain bike. Unsure of the practicality or legality. I hear him before I see him.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  3. ALDL9RM

ALDL9RM Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I always thought of them as ‘cheating’ as well until finding out that my old man had bought one. After years of a sedentary job, injuries here and there and being sick of coming out mountain biking with me and being out of puff straight away, he decided to bite the bullet and get an E MTB. Safe to say it was worth the investment for him! It’s brought back his love for mountain biking as he can keep up with me going up the hills, or if he goes by himself he can do it with thinking he’s on deaths door! Hopefully this gives you a bit of an insight Ninja, but long story short, he’s chuffed with his!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

5. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

6. sharpe

sharpe Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  7. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

upload_2019-11-24_21-23-27.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  8. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

You know that this would be a better choice than any e-bike. :)

chopper.jpg

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Yep, always wanted one.

A restored original costs more than an e-bike nowadays, unfortunately. :(

Good shout. Halfords let you do a 48 hour test, it seems. May do that and have a good look at it as the bike I've got is also available as an e-bike. Thinking of buying a conversion kit, if they're any good. Reckon it'll cost about £600 (battery is about half of the cost to convert).

10. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Me too. :(
    Back in the day my old pa was convinced that only "long haired hooligans" rode Choppers.

Years later I knew a bloke who had once worked for Raleigh in Nottingham. He reckoned that the bikes were unofficially known as Raleigh Castrators at the factory because of the high number of groin injuries caused by the gear lever. :)

• Seen Seen x 1
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Possibly the name 'Chopper' was a double-edged sword. Having never had one of those bikes, it was certainly my perception of those who did have one.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Thread bump. Closing-in on acquiring a Carrera Crossfuse in the next few days.

Heard a few horror stories with 'hub' driven ebikes snapping spokes. Crank motor seems the way to go.

Any other recommends or pearls of wisdom?

13. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

Full face helmet definitely...

...if only to disguise the shame and embarrassment.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 4
  14. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

For the full-fat shame and embarrassment experience slowly topple over while 'clipped in' and stopped at traffic lights.

If that's not bad enough, add two elderly female pedestrians; one to halt traffic and the other to help the cyclist to stagger to the road's edge. :(

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Sorted :)

Royal-Marine-motorcycle-helmet.png

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  16. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

I need that in my life.

17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

• Like Like x 1
  18. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Also available in maroon. :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. rkec

rkec Valuable Contributor

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  20. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

IMG_20200111_082614.jpg

For anyone interested, after much prevarication, finally bit the bullet and bought one of those nuclear e-bike thingies. First test earlyish this morning. (That's not sunrise, it's the glow of the reactor).

First impressions? Well, since you ask, you are still burning calories and using the gears the same as a normal bike. The most noticeable thing is for the same effort as a normal bike on the road, you get off to a flying start at traffic lights. Uppy bits still need effort and lower gears. On the flat, peddling into a 25mph wind, likewise more effort and gears needed but in the main when the wind drops, it's just like having a wind at your back - barely noticeable but subtle and faster than usual for the same effort. Virtually no noise beyond tyres on tarmac. When switched-off altogether, it's just an ordinary bike, but 20lbs heavier, so if you're feeling energetic, you can still push yourself hard.

Where it gets interesting, is when you peddle over 15 mph, the 'leccy cuts out entirely, but you have the momentum and it's quite easy to keep it over 20 mph burning a similar amount of energy, despite the increased weight. It's a bit like having the advantage of running against a person on a racetrack from a standing start and having the advantage of using starting blocks and spiked running shoes.

• Like Like x 6