Ear Pain

JimB

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The reason i'm posting here and not in the fitness section is because i'm not asking for help or advice.

Anyway...

AARGH !! I was just out for a run in the local playin fields. 3 miles. And it was effin freezing. Now that's fine because i'm Scottish and i'm used to the cold. But half way to the fields i realised i forgot my hat. No worries i thought. "I'll warm up when i get going". I had to stop runnin about a mile in and sit down in the middle of the field with my hood up, rubbing my ears in agony. My ears were so sore!! They still hurt now as i'm typing this.

As i conquored the hill, and rose victorious to the top, the icy wind hut me like daggers thrown deep into my ..ears. I'm never *text deleted* forget that lovely, god send of a hat again.

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Tip

Just a wee tip for you mate.

If you forget your hat again and your ears are freezing, just blow on the palms of your hands and hold them over your ears for a couple of seconds. Its a way of at least generating some heat to them.

We used to do this in the arctic.

Cheers

Steve

JimB

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The artic? Mate this is Scottish weather we're talkin about.

Thanks for the tip. I tried that and it did help. Still hurt so badly though.

spartan

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
scottish weather *text deleted* its cold right enough when i do 5 miler for the first 2.5 mile my hands ar completely numb *text deleted*

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Principles

The Principles of keeping warm are as follows:

C.O.L.D.

C= Keep your clothing clean. The material fibres store more heat in them.

O= Avoid over heating. Remove clothing if its causing you to get too warm.

L= Use the Layer Principle. More layers trap more heat.

D= Keep your clothing dry. Wet clothing freezes very easily.

Obviously, these principles will be loosely consistant, depending on your situation.

So. Don't forget your wooly hat when you go out running or your gloves if its that cold.

I've spent a fair amount of time in the mountains up there to understand how cold it gets. BBrrrrrr. I also worked in Aberdeen for a while and used to go to bed with more clothes on that I wore for work. BBrrrrr.

Remember of course, you need to learn to defeat or at least work with the elements. It'll be just another day, once you're in the Corps.

Cheers

Steve

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
I rarely feel the cold, even like last night it was pissing it down and around 5c i was happily running in shorts and t shirt

Is that dangerous? Wont hurt me ill it

jim87spencer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah i can run for miles in shorts and a vest, as long as im moving i'm alright, i have just invested in an awesome peaked balaclava for my upcoming pike fishing all dayer, along with a thermos flask full of brew i should be quite snug while i sit for hours watching a bright orange dot.

JimB

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips Preece.

Yeah the cold doesnt usually bother me either. I think it was just the wind chill to be honest - very windy day. The rest of me was nice and cozy. Just my lugs we're freezin.