Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Ear problems from dunk tank

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by Faugery, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Faugery

Faugery Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Anybody had problems from the dunk tank? My Nod has still got 50% hearing loss after 4 weeks.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Not heard of it before but my guess is it will have happened several times over the years. Hopefully it'll take it's natural course and all will be restored.

The only thing I got from the Dunker was Hydrophobia. No, hang-on. That's Rabies, isn't it?

@The guide may well have come across this before? The hearing thing, not the rabies.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  3. PPLLOOFF

PPLLOOFF New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Disclaimer: No experience with dunk tank yet or any medical qualifications beyond first-aid.

I do have over 100 scuba dives and can only assume that apart from an underlying/un-diagnosed medical condition/ear infection; it is down to not equalizing correctly, which I am 100% sure is taught.

Hope your lad recovers.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Faugery

App Stage:
    Parent
    Thanks @PPLLOOFF (Plouf, which in French means splash). Not a family of divers but he was told he had an inflamed ear, no infection and no hole but it is still inflamed 5 weeks on, ringing has stopped and hearing coming back but very slowly. Think he is quite calm about being huntered when they get back @Ninja_Stoker, just doesn't want the hearing loss to be permanent as it will be game over!

5. sy_lume

sy_lume Royal Marines Commando

Might just need his ears srynging or olive oil drops to soften any wax, my ears always used to block up after swimming until I had mine syringed

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  6. Faugery

App Stage:
    Parent
    Thanks @sy_lume, I forgot to say there was no ear wax when first seen.

7. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    The issue is that when you are in basic training your body gets so run down that any minor infection can take an age to fix. If his hearing is getting better, I would say grizz it out; if it is not improving then get to the med centre soonest to get them to work their magic.
    Most nods are held together by black nasty by the time they pass out, minor bumps, scrapes and sprains are an occupational hazard unfortunately. Hopefully he can avoid Hunter but if it happens, no worries, he will come back stronger.

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  8. Faugery

App Stage:
    Parent
    Thanks @dodgyknees . He isn't the only one with bad ears from the dunk tank in his troop and they are due to have a hearing test when they get back and see the doctor again. My son isn't overly concerned about being huntered, just about staying in til the end. He has flown out to Oz this hols and we were expecting the ears to be worse so that is a bonus. Keeping fingers crossed for the return flights.

9. MumtoRM

MumtoRM Moderator

No O2 tanks involved with the dunker. The tank being referred to is the large ‘pool’ that is the ‘Dunker’.

10. PPLLOOFF

PPLLOOFF New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Equalizing in laymans just refers to equalizing the pressure in your ears by pinching your nose and attempting to blow through your nose, creating a small audible pop. When the pressure around you is higher or lower than the pressure you are used to e.g. submerged a few metres in a swimming pool or on a plane.

11. Rover

Rover Moderator

Could you clarify what you are referring to when you say “No O2 tanks involved”?:confused:

12. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

The one at Yeovil? Did it for boarding party, prior to gulf deployment. But there was no oxygen cans. Think that was just for aircrew.

Still horrible though. Especially when they turn the lights out , upside down, and you’re last one out!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

You're confusing a Saturday night at a Union Street nightclub with helicopter ditching drills. :)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  14. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

Too true. Sgt Peppers was a crap hole!

15. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

It's all a blur to me. I recall leaving one venue in the mid-1980s with a QARNNS giggling on each arm. They accompanied me as far as a cashpoint, a dodgy kebab outlet and then vanished. Story of my life. :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  16. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

I used to end up in swilly!

Or the dockyard cells. ☹️

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  17. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

The benefit of waking up in a cell is that a fine is the better option to a lifelong STD. Fond memories of North Prospect though.

Those dockyard cells have probably now been repurposed as 'bijou, executive studio flats'.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

That's just what the DQs at The Depot Deal became when it was redeveloped. It was a listed building, so could not be demolished. The same with the old gym, complete with original painted spots on the wooden floors!

Alan

• Like Like x 2
  19. The guide

The guide Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure

I have actually came across both..!! needless to say avoided one like a tramp wanting my chips.!!..the other was just a dog with Rabies..!.

But back to the young man...first thoughts are if 4 weeks down the line...go to the sick bay and get it checked. It could be one on a couple of things.

Low grade Baro Trauma His ear drum may have got "stretched" and is not quite returning to normal shape so sound is not passing as it should , its highly unlikely it would be major trauma as he would know about it.!..although some might think / say - it,s not deep the greatest pressure changes occur in the first 4 meters from the surface.

A small perforation is feasible as well , and if this is the case he needs to lok after his ear...so once again..go to the sickbay.!.

3rd is he had a slightly blocked ear with wax and this has been impacted by the slight pressure and not it is a more solid block hence a degradation in his hearing..once again..go to the sickbay.!.

As for the rabies..avoid the vaccination for that one , as depending whee you get it it can be into the lining of the :eek:stomach...makes you gurn a bit-vomit-..trust me on that one.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

The same can't be said for former Depot Para, Browning Barracks, Aldershot. Cutting edge architecture in 1968 it's now been demolished but as recently as 2013 it was rented out as an airsoft venue. Sad to see it covered in weeds and a playground in this video clip.

• Like Like x 2