Early morning training/ diet

jallen289

Reaction score
I work 6am - 2 pm in factory/ warehouse.
Once or twice a week I get up for a run before work, around 4:15am. Does anyone think this is actually worth doing? I rarely get good times; I do feel fresh throughout the day but maybe I should just get an extra hour in bed? I normally get to bed around 9:30 - 10.

Also, I have weetabix for breakfast at just after 5, then I have another breakfast at work at 8:30 normally beans on toast with 2 eggs- effectively my lunch. I'm really trying to sort my diet out at the minute but I'm not sure when/ how often I should be eating?

Appreciate any suggestions, thanks.

mkelly

Reaction score
Is there no way you could just train on an afternoon? Sounds like you have enough time.

More sleep will help you improve quicker. Although it is good that you can get up that early and get on with on with it.

As far as diet goes, I obvoiusly don't know your exact needs, but I would try to eat more. Doesn't sound liek your eating much on a morning. Good quality protein and plenty of good carbs.

Try porridge for your breakfast and a big chicken sandwich for lunch. Try to eat roughly every 3 hours, breakfast lunch and dinner with a few snacks in between.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
As said why can't you train on the afternoon? I rarely train before 2pm anyway, and I think you're better off having the extra sleep.

Red Bull

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe he gets up early as mental training.

You shouldn't go 110% on every run. Maybe you can do your slower runs in the early mornings, bu your hard sessions on the evenings.

As for eating. It doesn't sound too bad but personally I find wheatabix to be useless. I normally have egg on toast in the mornings. (protein in the breakfast fills you for longer and gives you more energy). Eat when you are hungry basically and have some protein in each meal.

Eating later on the night may help your early morning run energy too.

Mingmong

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Personally I'd bin the early runs and train in the afternoon. I find I'm much fresher at night/early evening and my run times and circuits sessions are much better than during morning sessions.

Utopia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe he gets up early as mental training.

You shouldn't go 110% on every run. Maybe you can do your slower runs in the early mornings, bu your hard sessions on the evenings.

As for eating. It doesn't sound too bad but personally I find wheatabix to be useless. I normally have egg on toast in the mornings. (protein in the breakfast fills you for longer and gives you more energy). Eat when you are hungry basically and have some protein in each meal.

Eating later on the night may help your early morning run energy too.
I do, and agree, with every point made! Looong, slow run in the morning. Intense, interval, circuit type training in the evening following a fast throughout the day. Hits the HGH flush like nobody's business!

jallen289

Reaction score
Part of it is mental training, it's not nice getting up at that time but I'm sure it has improved my attitude toward training.

I normally do a 3 miler or attempt hill sprints, then after work I go to the gym to do body weight exercises, 5k on a summit machine, a long slow jog on the treadmill on a high incline and then a swim. In the evening I sometimes do a p90x workout.

I will stop doing the early morning runs and focus on cardio later on in the day, thank you for the replies.