Eat Meals Before or after exercise?

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Got a question lads, would it be better to say eat dinner before or after i do my pressups? will it make a difference? same question goes for running/situps etc

Cheers :mrgreen:

will

Reaction score
u could at before buddy but u have to wait at least an hour after before u can do exercise because if not u may be sick or get stich. i would normally eat after.

will

Lshort1988

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
true, but... make sure youve eaten a 1-2 hours before too though even if its just a banana or something if not youll lack the fuel you need to train hard! just *text deleted* be careful youll adapt to how long you need after eating before you can train though so youll figure it out! (then you can just eat like a horse after too!) :*text deleted*:

Jas

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I usually have meals before exercise (giving it plenty of time to do down first) that way you have some fuel in your body.

JK

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Before you excercise, but make sure you have a good hour or two between the meal and excercise.

I have egg bacon and beans on toast an hour before i go for a run, it gives you plenty of calories to burn of whilst you run! also plenty of energy.

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Well at the moment im not running too far and i need to loose 3 stone, *text deleted*! so no big meals for me :(

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Well i've started to improve on it, this is what im eating most days:

Breakfast(7:30am): 3 Weetabix with sugar

Lunch(1:00pm): 4 Sandwiches ( Lemon curd or tuna and cucumber ), and either an apple or banana(sp?)

About 3:30 or something i might make myself a cheese brevel

Dinner(5-30-6:30ish): Usually something like mash and sausages or chicken n beans ( once a week eat a great big pasty that we buy from the farmers :) )

I try not to eat anything between these guidelines unless it's fruit

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
MasoN said:
Well i've started to improve on it, this is what im eating most days:

Breakfast(7:30am): 3 Weetabix with sugar

Lunch(1:00pm): 4 Sandwiches ( Lemon curd or tuna and cucumber ), and either an apple or banana(sp?)

About 3:30 or something i might make myself a cheese brevel

Dinner(5-30-6:30ish): Usually something like mash and sausages or chicken n beans ( once a week eat a great big pasty that we buy from the farmers :) )

I try not to eat anything between these guidelines unless it's fruit
Right mate just a few tips with what your eating .... your diet is a bit pants ... sorry dude :eek:ops: ! Mainly you really need to watch your carb intake, especially if your looking to lose weight and your not doing alot of circuits or CV work presently.

Breakfast - Ditch the weetabix & sugar - swap for porridge/Reddy brek with a chopped up banana or apple or dried fruit.

You also need to eating at around 10am even if its only 1 or 2 pieces of fresh fruit. 500mls of water

Lunch - I'd say swap you sarnies for salads, chicken/beef or tuna and keep the fruit. 500mls of water

3.30 snack - ditch the cheese (full of fats & carbs, not what you want if trying to loose weight) again a couple of pieces of fresh fruit & about 500mls of water.

Dinner - fresh veg needs to make up the main part off you dinner, then your protein (meat - lean beef, chicken, fish etc) and hardly any carbs (i.e on a small portion of rice, potatoes, pasta etc). although further down the line you'll need a good intake of carbs through out the day mate to keep you going but with where your at with your weight sausage & mash isnt what you should be eating at this time of the night (again high carbs which you aint *text deleted* burn off if your not doing an circuits or CV work)

By eating smart & drink lots of water it'll fill you up more plus you'll benefit from the fresh fruit & veg in your diet. Combine all that with a good structured training plan and you'll start losing weight in a healthy manner!

Not having a go dude but if you *text deleted* lose weight you need to make a few changes and crack on with the phys stuff. Hope this hepls ya :D

Roddie

Reaction score
well, I don't know about losing weight, I'm told to put it on, even though my BMI is dead on.

What are you doing DURING the day? ie. in terms of work.
I work at an abattoir, so plenty of hard work, so carbs for me is perfect. Bread, pasta, cheese etc.

But if not, drink plenty of water, eat plenty of fruit,
and if you do have, say pasta/beans, the night before, make sure you do go for a long run, or a hard training session the day after.

Carbs turn into fat and sugar after a day or two, so you can lose that by running. Carbs are the perfect enery, marathon runners eat PLENTY of pasta, beans, bread before a run, because it's not instant energy or fat, takes a bit to circulate.

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i see what you mean, i work from 8-2 mon-fri and take a 2l bottle of water to work with me, which is gone by 2'o clock. i'll ditch the cheese sarnies then, and try to eat a bit more fruit, as for meals well i don't cook them my dad does :*text deleted*: i'll ask him to do me more veg. as for the 10am thats when we have our break and i usually try to get a piece of fruit down me but thats if we have enough in the house. maybe i should buy my own fruit from now on so nobody can nick it *text deleted*^^ as for breakfast ill start eating oatsosimple(sp?)

so the outcome:

Breakfast: Oatsosimple(sp?) with a chopped up banana

10am break: Banana and Apple, and about 500ml of water

Lunch: Salad consisting of Tuna, Cucumber, Salad cream(?), Pasta(?), Sweetcorn(?).

dinner: Veg + high protein foods

How does this sound? thanks for the help so far!

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Roddie said:
well, I don't know about losing weight, I'm told to put it on, even though my BMI is dead on.

I work at an abattoir, so plenty of hard work, so carbs for me is perfect. Bread, pasta, cheese etc.

and if you do have, say pasta/beans, the night before, make sure you do go for a long run, or a hard training session the day after.

Carbs turn into fat and sugar after a day or two, so you can lose that by running. Carbs are the perfect enery, marathon runners eat PLENTY of pasta, beans, bread before a run, because it's not instant energy or fat, takes a bit to circulate.
at the moment my training is:

Mon-Fri: Uphill bike ride 15 mins ( to work )

Monday: Half a mile run, 100Pressup programme

Wensday: Same as Monday.

Friday: Same as Monday

daz900daz

Reaction score
MasoN said:
Roddie said:

at the moment my training is:

Mon-Fri: Uphill bike ride 15 mins ( to work )

Monday: Half a mile run, 100Pressup programme

Wensday: Same as Monday.

Friday: Same as Monday

Dude dude dude, your approching this all wrong. You need help!

Forget about the diet paln at the minute, Your not burning enough calories in your workout to burn off the banna and oats you eat early in the day.
Now, your body is a very delecate thing, if you cut out all the crap you eat straight away you are *text deleted* end up with cravings, huge cravings. This in itself does nothing for your will power dude. Try cutting down on the sugar you have with your weetabix....... if you like to have them that's fine work away, great source of fibre and will help you keep full for longer, try a glass of OJ with it (pure) that should sort out the sweet tooth. If you have a tea break about 10 am then that's fine, just try and get some energy foods into the body. Your blood sugar levels will have dropped slighty after your cycle so a yoghurt and a piece of fruit (not a banana) should sort this out.

Your luch needs to be the best meal of the day, load up on your carbs and stuff here, tuna sandwiches are a good start, but try to vary it as there is allot of mercury in tuna, try more veg too. Egg would be good but again not to much of this either. (Allot of colestoral in the yolk). Pasta is easy and handy to have for lunch and again try some fruit too, ( avoid bananas if you can) treat yourself if you like, choci biscuit or something just don't go over board.

Late afternoon try something like a cereal bar of yoghurt again, Something with enough suger and protein in it to balance out your blood sugar levels so you don't get a spike or a drop.

Evening meal, depending when your eating it should depend on what should be left out. Something along the idea of what shiloh79 said but add some spuds in too if your doing your work out before hand, if doing work out after you eat then avoid the carbs and stick with loads of veg and a meat. This way you can end the day with a bowl of cereal. Really is that simple mate....... more about when you eat than what you eat, but make sensible choices when you have the choice!

As for your work out mate.................. i think it enthusiasum that's letting you down. All be it you cylce to work, you do nearly a mile run every night, but that's about it.

I'm starting to sound like i'm attacking you.... i'm really not though. I did this for a living, you can do more than that with effort!

Ok you cylce to work, great keep it up. Change your route once in a while, make it longer for yourself don't go straight home after work things like this help.

Your runs finish at about half a mile, that's ok.... i know you havn't run for a while. SO crack out your half mile, then when you get there, if you feel like you can't run anymore jog on the spot ever so slightly until you catch your breath and your legs start working again, then when ready start again at just more than walking pace. It doesn't have to be an all out attack all the time. Just that your not *text deleted* quit when your tired.

Try some crunches too, (not sit ups just yet) just to help your gut tone up. Press ups are good, vary the width of your arms when you do them though. Some standing squats , lunges, dips from a chair, shoulder press with 2 litres of milk ( you know what i mean, the container filled with fluid)
These subtle changes make a dramatic difference. Just don't expect it all to happen over night, but it will happen.

Good luck

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
thanks for the replys.

yeah i understand my training *text deleted* is terrible, but i am absolutely shattered when i reach the .5mile mark, by that time i had already pshed myself ALOT i mean my legs want to give in 2 mins into the run. I see what you mean though, when i reach the .5mile mark maybe have a speed walk for a minute then carry on a bit further.. will defo give it a try!

As for the diet great tips thanks, advice taken. i am going back home next week to live with my mum, so i can start buying my own foods and cooking it. I often get a craving for sweet stuff, what do i do then? just intake some water?

Another thing to add as i'm going home next week i have a gym membership down there so i will have access to a gym :P and maybe give the treadmill a go for a month or so. As for situps i don't really need to worry about them for the minute, because i bang out about 40 in a minute and a half, even though i had never done them before!

jim87spencer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
hello mate,

alot of it is down to willpower and self determination... if i walk past a shop and start thinking about buying a snickers, i go in and buy a bottle of water instead.. or an apple!

Remember you should be drinking like 8 glasses of pure water a day, i know you read it everywhere but it really will keep you hydrated and makes sure you dont piss out all the goodness in what you're eating so you can last longer during exercise.

the gym is a good step, i found that running on a treadmill first helped me alot for when i took to the great outdoors, try sets on the leg machines if they're hurting and cardio machines such as cross trainers and rowing machines will increase your endurance... if your gym has a swimming pool do some lengths aswell... at first yeah it does hurt, but just breathe through it and keep your eye's on the prize.