Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Eczema/Contact Dermitisis

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by t1k99a8, Mar 16, 2019 at 1:35 PM.

1. t1k99a8

t1k99a8 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi, I am wanting to apply to the marines, in preparation for this I requested a copy of my medical records from my GP. I noted one visit that looks to be an issue. I went to the doctor due to dry cracked knuckles a little over 7 years ago when i was 14. The entry in my records reads as follows "Contact dermatitis and other eczemas, has infected eczema both hands, will moisturise also" I was prescribed Co-Amoxiclav tablets (an antibiotic i believe) and Betamethasone Velerate Ointment 0.1% (looks to be a common eczema cream), looking through I appear to only have gone once to the doctor though i did get a second prescription of the cream 2 and a half months later (for what its worth i'm not sure whether i ended up using it). Looking at the JSP950 contact dermatitis and eczema on hands both seem to be a straight right off to any chances of getting in. Thinking back the cause of it was my hands getting very dry at this time this caused them to start cracking and cheap soap etc just irritated the cracks further until I it was decided that I should see a doctor about it. Anyway my hands haven't gone like this since, sometimes they get a bit dry (like most peoples) but I don't need to moisturise let alone see a doctor about it and I haven't needed to avoid any substances (soaps etc). So my question is that though I have this on my record and am well aware that looking at JSP950 that I would fail the medical, is there a chance that considering it was an isolated incident several years ago that the medical examiner will take this into account and give me a pass for the medical? I just wanted to get a feel of what you all think my chances are / if any of you have has similar issues and if there is anything I can do to improve my chances?

2. NO.SF&G

NO.SF&G New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Give it a go mate. I had history of eczema and contact dermatitis and although I got TMU’d initially the case was eventually passed on to SMOSE for a final review and it was given the all clear. For your info, I had eczema just over three years ago and used the same cream ‘betamethasone’ also.

3. ozzy4399

ozzy4399 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Sorry to hijack thread, but I also have an eczema concern. Although I don't have history of it, I'm pretty certain to have developed some eczema over my hands and elbows in the last month (I imagine due to excessive showering + not moisturising when the areas initially became dry). For the last week I have been treating it with emollients and over-the-counter hydrocortisone, but it doesn't seem to be doing much and I think a GP trip and prescription treatment will be necessary.

I plan on submitting my application over the summer and doing the medical then, in a few months time. I'm concerned that if I go to the GP and receive prescription treatment for this eczema that I will be made TMU for 3 years - I keep seeing '3 years free' on previous eczema threads. My only mitigating circumstance would be that I have no history of eczema, and (I hope) some prescription treatment now would have it cleared swiftly, before my eventual medical in Summer.

My question to anyone who could shed some light, has this random eczema flare up immediately brought my RM application to the close (at least for the next 3 years)?

4. Landy2019

Landy2019 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Hi mate, I'm going to be taking my POC in May, but I had a horrid time with CAPITA almost ruining my chances of getting in and delayed me for months. So the thing you HAVE to do if you don't want to be delayed is to go to your GP who said you may have eczema and get them to write you a letter saying that it "doesn't apply to you anymore" and then have their signature at the end of the letter and then CAPITA can't do anything to you. Better safe than sorry

5. lilsis

lilsis Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Weird suggestion for u before u go docs for cream try a course of sunbeds first it can work wonders for eczema ;)

6. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie New Member

You should have no issues.

You require to be symptom and medication free for at least three years.

Obviously any supporting evidence you can obtain now may prevent delays in your application should they request more information.

Best of luck.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019 at 1:32 PM
  7. ozzy4399

ozzy4399 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah it's this sort of Capita horror story that is worrying me. Will take note when I go to the GP.

Will look into it, many thanks.