Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Education Certificate Photocopies

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by whatever, May 20, 2018.

1. whatever

whatever New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Hi guys,

Probably one for the careers advisors. I've been asked to take proof of my qualifications into the AFCO so they can see I've got the right grades. My exams results are fine, only problem is I've misplaced one of my AS certificates since moving house. I have a photocopy of the certificate, any idea if this will suffice as proof of qualification or will I have to cough up to AQA for a replacement certificate?

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

One of the CAs here will have to answer your specific questions.

But on the topic of your lost certificate, would it be possible for your school or college to certify the photocopy as being a true record? Naturally this would also be dependent on your AFCO confirming that such a document is acceptable.

Certified copies are a commonly accepted protocol for some other legal documents including Powers of Attorney.
    It might be one way of avoiding paying £43 :eek: to AQA for a substitute certificate. Just a suggestion for consideration.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Spot on. A letter confirming qualifications attained on headed school notepaper will suffice as I understand it.

It used to be the case that AIB would insist on re-issued certificates from the examining body, but I believe they're a little more relaxed about it now.

Photocopies or scanned images/photos of certificates are unfortunately not accepted in isolation as they can be forged - unless the photocopy/scan was taken by your AFCO from the original & is a certified true copy.

On a different note, I'm assuming the AS Level was passed at grade B or better, before 2017 (Grade A for 2017), not taken to A2 and all your contributing A2 qualifications (pre-2017)were passed at grade D or better?

• Like Like x 1
  4. whatever

whatever New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Ah right, so if I get my college exam office to confirm the grades on letterhead paper, the photocopy should be accepted? Would this be best sent directly in digital form from the College to the AFCO or given to me for me to pass on to the AFCO with the photocopy? Trying to avoid spending a bomb on replacement certificates if I'm honest.

And yeah, no worries with regards to grades attained, just out of interest do the 72 UCAS points have to come from 2 a levels (so minimum B and C in grades) or would 3 D's make someone just as elegible to apply?

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Understand the finance issue, replacement certificates are a rip-off. Ideally a hard copy letter from the college addressed to you, listing qualifications attained, would suffice. The photocopy is not usually required unless your AFCO want a "certified true copy" annotated on the photocopy, signed & stamperd by the college.

Under the newer UCAS scheme only AS Levels at grade A are accepted. Under the older grading system, 3 x A2 Grade D passes are accepted toward the (old system) 180 points required.

If in doubt, use the UCAS calculator: https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers/role-finder/ucas-calculator?popup=true

6. F_W_m0

F_W_m0 New Member

App Stage:
    Awaiting selection after AIB pass
    Hijacking this thread slightly but still on the subject of A level grades.

I did my A levels a while back and got three D's (180 UCAS points at the time, now equating 72 with the new system). This is obviously the very minimum needed to even apply to be an Officer.

My question is, could this (and other parts of my application) be a deciding factor when it comes to the FSB or is someones performance at AIB and POC the only things taken into account when selecting the Batch?

Cheers

7. mactavish80

mactavish80 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I'm wondering this as well . Just about to sit my a levels and I'm looking for BCC, which aren't exactly the best results. How likley is it this will count against me at FSB?

8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

The only thing that directly affects selection is your AIB score.

• Like Like x 1